What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Portal: Prelude

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Portal: Prelude
Author: Message:
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. Portal: Prelude
[Image: logo-portal-prelude.png]

Portal: Prelude is an unofficial prequel to Valve's Portal. In contrary to the many map packs and community maps we've seen since the release of this game, this is actually a full-blown modification of the game. Portal: Prelude contains a whole new story with nineteen new levels, new sounds and new portal techniques which makes this mod truly stand out. To be honest, this is a whole new game, and it's completely free.
quote:
Portal: Prelude, as its name states it, is an unofficial prequel to the game Portal. Its story revolves around the pre-GlaDOS epoch, even before she was plugged in. At this time, test subjects were monitored by real Aperture Science employees whose work was tedious, lengthy and repetitive. This is why they decided to build a great artificial intelligence that could both replace them in these difficult tasks, but also take responsibility for many other tasks within the complex and compete with Black Mesa's superiority. All employees of the Aperture Science complex are now eagerly awaiting GlaDOS. Maybe even a little too eagerly, as the upcoming events will tell...
Source: Portal: Prelude - About
The mod was announced as a complete surprise, one day the website just popped up and the single blog post in it pointed to the official trailer on Vimeo (HD download is here). The news spread quickly and the more people got to know, the more they got excited. Everything about this is quality, all levels have been constructed with all gaming aspects (complexity, hints, originality) in mind and tested thoroughly.

As much as the announcement was a surprise, so was its release. Originally planned and announced to be released at the first birthday of the Orange Box, they came with another surprise yesterday and told the world that it will already be available one day before the official release on FilePlanet. Unfortunately, this means long waiting times and not too great download speeds when you're a free user (like almost everyone, no?) but it's definitely worth the time when you have followed their website for the last two weeks. On the other side, it'll be available on a dozen of other official mirrors at October 9th at midnight GMT+01 (that's the same as UTC or the time in England with DST taken in account).

I already downloaded it! Can't wait to get it running, have some homework to do first. :( Actually, I was surprised that no-one made a topic about this before... Where are the gamers here? :P

Official website and weblog: http://www.portalprelude.com/
Reviews:
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
10-09-2008 05:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Portal: Prelude
You must have a FilePlanet Account to download this file :(.
10-09-2008 05:24 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
When the first thing on their website says

quote:
Wow, what a train wreck that piece of shit is. Did you test any of this? On anyone besides yourselves? Portal took the time to have something called gameplay. Something your game seriously lacks. You can't just throw together some interesting looking rooms and pretend that's a mod. Portal teaches the player techniques and then shows the player how to combine them and use them to create new techniques. You didn't have to teach the player the same ones, but "crouch in mid air?" Go fuck yourself. Have you ever played a video game before? Gameplay is about a learning process. Here's an idea, next time you want to make a shitty mod go make another overly stylized webpage instead. Seems like you guys put more time into that than the game. Fuck you! - Griff

ain't great
10-09-2008 05:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Portal: Prelude
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
When the first thing on their website says
ain't great
Unfortunately, the posts are in reversed chronological order, means: latest post first. Apparently the developers had to post this clearly sick comment on their blog... well, yeah, that's quite dumb if you see it that way. 8-) Gotta comment on that saying that they should make more positive posts, or stickify the best news at the top. :P

Anyway, I highly recommend any Portal fan to check out the website, there are a lot of great things to see and you'll certainly be shocked by how great it is. I mean, heck, it's a completely new Portal! :D
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

10-09-2008 05:39 PM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
Well, I will definitely try it...I love Portal.

But what I love Portal is largely because its storyline. Does Portal Prelude ---- ok. I won't ask that question so please don't spoil me. I'll just download. :p
10-09-2008 05:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Portal: Prelude
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Does Portal Prelude ---- ok. I won't ask that question so please don't spoil me.
Portal: Prelude is an unofficial prequel. The team made up a new storyline to fit in the existing one, but it probably won't be the same as Valve's announced official Portal prequel. That should explain it without spoiling you. :P
Oh -- in case you were wondering, it's made by three Frenchies in only eight months in their free time! :D

10-09-2008 05:53 PM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
* Th3rmal will wait for other mirrors.

Looks like a promising game, will definately try it out, i loved the original; so if its anything like that, it should be worth it.
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
10-09-2008 08:11 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I just deleted it along with Portal because the Unleashed release of Portal sucks ass with Steam and this apparently needs steam.
10-09-2008 08:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
this apparently needs steam.
i just read that as well, looks like i wont be getting the game after all :(

Although there should be a workaround for people without steam shouldnt there?
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
10-09-2008 08:17 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
For those with the Portal-Unleashed release.

Get /portal prelude from Steams /steamapps/steammods directory or whatever it is...rename it "portalprelude" and place that directory in the same directory as hl2.exe

Go into /portalprelude and open gameinfo.txt

Change

{
            Game                |gameinfo_path|.
            Game                portal
            Game                hl2
        }
    }
}

to

{
            Game                |gameinfo_path|.
            Game                portalprelude
            Game                portal
            Game                hl2
        }
    }
}

Save the file.

Create a shortcut to hl2.exe...adding the -steam -game portalprelude to the end.

(found out by ShawnZ :))
10-10-2008 08:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: