What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Live virus scanner

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
[Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Live virus scanner
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Live virus scanner
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
quote:
Suggestion: When a user downloads and installs a script Plus! scans the script for dodgy code and things and tells the user if it downloads stuff or it can be a potential threat.

The answer. :P
And how do you suppose we check a dll or exe file that is part of the script?

Idk :P The same way AV does it :P
We come to a full circle now...

Because why not simply use an existing AV then? Why reinvent the wheel?

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:
Originally posted by markee

And how do you suppose we check a dll or exe file that is part of the script?
Small team of script testers that can determine what functions are called or what the exe is used for. That way, different people report different things and more malicious code would be stopped.  I'm personally all up for a bunch of us maintaining a list of malicious sites, scripts, programs and other files (zip for example) that, when linked to, get blocked. If it could be built into Plus! the only issue would be all the users downloading the updates would take a lot of bandwidth

Correct me if I'm wrong and forgive me for being negative, but I don't know any people here who are capable of doing something like that (well, maybe 1 or 2, but that's it). That is investigating properly what a (exe) file might do just like the major AV companies do.

Maintaining a list of files and urls is one thing, but investigating is something completely different. And for 'just' having yet another list (very small list compared to the major AVs), it sounds a lot like trying to reinvent the wheel again while there are already many factories who are already producing all the wheels you can think of and have all the tech info and knowhow about wheels....

Why not using the report forms which every major AV has and the abuse report forms from MS? People complain all the time that MS is doing a crappy job or that the blacklist in Messenger isn't good. Well, one of the major things about that is that they need your input. Use the report forms and report malicious stuff, also report false positives, etc...

Creating yet another independant AV kind of thing isn't going to work and isn't going to solve anything if nobody reports stuff. And if people don't even use a simple and easy accessable abuse report form now, then why would they suddenly start reporting things for yet another AV?

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I would like that but as pointed out, it's unfortunately too hard to do if it has to be reliable. I would need a team dedicated to it 24/7 and I just can't do that kind of thing right now (maybe next year if everything goes as planned... :)).
Sounds good :) Thank you for taking my suggestion into consideration.
(y)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-27-2008 05:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
automatic91

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Live virus scanner
"blah blah a gud virus scanner wuld stop it"

i think.. even if it was semi reliable or even 50% working... i'd use it...

i find it so annoying when these stupid people actually fall for it, and i get told every damn minute "have u seen tehse fotos of me" cuz its sooo damn annoying

10-30-2008 08:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: