What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Problem installing msn

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Problem installing msn
Author: Message:
uperkurk

O.P. Problem installing msn
Hello, I just got a new computer running vista x64 and I'm trying to install msn messenger, the window says "its searching for other windows live programs but then about 10 seconds later it say msn messenger and sign in assistant did not install.

It's so annoying ive tried everything I can think of, please help.
10-24-2008 01:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
T.T.

impossible is nothing!

47 / Male / Flag
RE: Problem installing msn
use the full install package of live messenger 8.5 instead of windows live (web) installer. you can download it from Softpedia or alternate place. the install method of new wave 3 beta version is more difficult to x64 systems, so i suggest that use the stable 8.5 :)
10-25-2008 10:04 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
uperkurk

O.P. RE: Problem installing msn
Thanks for your help but when I try to install the one from softpedia it says "A network error accourred while attempting to read from the file: C:\users\uperkurk\downloads\install_WLMessenger[1].msi

Any other guesses :(

By the way my internet is working fine :)

This post was edited on 10-25-2008 at 12:14 PM by uperkurk.
10-25-2008 12:14 PM
T.T.

impossible is nothing!

47 / Male / Flag
yep, because you have an incomplete setup progress. download the MS installer cleanup, install it, and run the msicuu.exe from "c:\program Files\Windows installer clean up" (or you can find it under start menu\programs as "Windows Install Clean Up"). if you see any "windows live xxx" in the list, now select it and click to "remove" button. restart your pc and after that try to install WLM again. GL! :)
10-25-2008 12:42 PM
uperkurk

OK I have can now install it :D thanks alot but now when I try to sign in it says "windows could not sign you in, it could be due to your firewall bla bla bla"

The error code is 80048820 and extended error code is 80048412

Also I have another problem, not really the place but maybe you can help. I think I had a virus and it took away my admin rights, it still says im admin but some programs I have to right click then run as administrator.

And some things I cant run at all :( and ideas how to fix this?
10-25-2008 01:45 PM
T.T.

impossible is nothing!

47 / Male / Flag
not sure that you have a virus. at first check this:
"If you are receiving error 80048820 when trying to sign into Windows Live Messenger you should also get an extended error code.  If this extended error code is 80048412 the problem often occurs because the time and date settings on the computer are incorrect."
More info

i mean you have any antivirus sw. if haven't, that's big mistake :)
perhaps you can use trendmicro online scanner or One Care Live to scan viruses/trojans on your pc.

in the last resort:
reinstall your vista, and install an antivirus sw before you connect to the internet.
10-25-2008 02:21 PM
uperkurk

All my anti virus and firewalls are free from the internet. like AVG and LAVASOFT.

You say about the time is different, how do I check the time of the messenger. My clock is corrent on my computer
10-25-2008 02:30 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Messenger takes its time from the clock on the computer, so if that is correct then the time thing won't be the problem.

If you had a virus that you're not sure what it did then re-installing the OS may be the best option.

Try searching the forum for your error code as you may find threads from people who had similar problems that could have solutions in them
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5213 days, 21 hours, 4 minutes, 27 seconds ago
10-25-2008 02:54 PM
T.T.

impossible is nothing!

47 / Male / Flag
i said this: the time and date settings on the computer are incorrect
if that's correct, then you may have a virus/trojan/etc. try to find it with online scanners. if they find nothing, well i don't have more idea.
vista reinstall? :)
10-25-2008 03:03 PM
uperkurk

Looks like its going to be a vista re-install, vista is so crap should of just got xp. anyways if I re-install vista will that remove the viruses? Also how do I even unistall vista? lol :^)
10-25-2008 03:23 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: