What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » Adverts On Skin?!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Adverts On Skin?!
Author: Message:
Matu92

O.P. Adverts On Skin?!
Hello.

Ive been using Messenger Plus! skins for a while now but what really annoys me is that when I use the normal Messenger skin there are no adverts as I have removed them from the bottom of my contact list. However when I use a skin there are adverts at the bottom as shown in one of the images below.

I was just wondering is there any way to remove the adverts?!

Normal Messenger Skin: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/Matu92/normalskin.jpg

Sheep Messenger Skin: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/Matu92/newskin_.jpg

Thanks.

Matt
10-30-2008 08:40 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Adverts On Skin?!
Skins that are submitted into the skins database do not have the remove adverts option straight up, as Patchou does not allow for this since it would be breaking the terms and conditions of use for WLM.
However, contacting the creator of the skin and asking them for a fix might work.

:)
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
10-30-2008 08:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Matu92

O.P. RE: Adverts On Skin?!
Ahh OK.

10-30-2008 08:47 AM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
The reason why this happens is because the advert boxes are defined in the interface files or UIFILEs. When you patch Messenger with something like MessPatch or A-Patch, you actually modify that interface file to remove the block where the adverts are in.

A Plus! Live skin does just the same, only it doesn't replace the interface file in the Messenger executable file itself but in the memory space where Messenger is loaded, that's why you can switch between Plus! skins so easily! It doesn't matter whether the original interface file was modified before, Plus! simply replaces it with the skin's interface file.

What you can do is quite simple:
  • Contact the skin author and ask him if it's possible to add some kind of ad removal.
  • Modify the UIFILEs of the skin yourself. :P
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
10-30-2008 08:54 AM
Matu92

I was thinking of attempting to modify the skin myself but I would probably ruin it.

Hmm...Might try anyway :)

Thanks
10-30-2008 09:09 AM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Well, if you don't have any experience involving UIFILEs, you'd better learn it first a little or simply stay away from it. :P

Luckily, the worst thing that can happen when you try to modify the skin would be that the skin won't loaded. Back in the days where skinning was done by modifying the files themselves, you could simply screw up the executable and start all over again if you didn't make any backups.

Well, it's up to you. Perhaps you should first try to contact the creator and in the meantime, experiment a bit with it if you have nothing else to do. :D
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
10-30-2008 09:26 AM
Matu92

Aha, Ill take a look.
I have no experience so i may screw it up :P

If I cant do it ill just stick with the good old normal messenger skin :)

Thanks again
10-30-2008 09:29 AM
SmokingCookie

30 / Male / Flag
Try opening the skin's folder and see if there's anything like "Remove ads.REG"..
11-02-2008 10:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Matu92

I did find one of those in the skin folder but when I opened it I got an error message saying

"the specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor"

Hmm....
11-02-2008 11:41 AM
SmokingCookie

30 / Male / Flag
Could you please open them with Notepad?

You should se something like this:

code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\GTA IV Messenger\Settings]
"MySetting"=dword:00000001
11-02-2008 11:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: