What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Lost messages

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Lost messages
Author: Message:
Schnappi

RE: Lost messages
I have uninstalled all scripts/skins, including Plus! itself but this problem still happens.
I do notice this problem more on WLM 2009 compared against the previous version (8.5).

Can the windows live team at least implement an automatic ping command to let the sender know if his/her message has been succesfully delivered?
What's the purpose of an excellent IM program when messages don't get delivered at a 100% rate? Do take this seriously please.
Or at least state the reason(s) for this problem.

Thanks if anyone reads this.
06-07-2009 05:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Halacs

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Lost messages
I have the same problem, I think you should write to the Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. I am already in contact with them, one more case would make more attention. After a few email exchange I have been passed to the Windows Live Messenger Global Escalations where they are still analyzing my problem.

It seems so far that third-party add-ons can cause such problems. But I am also experiencing message loss with pure WLM 2009...

Here is my issue in detail (an email portion):

"1, I have no problems with my Internet connection.
2, Connecting to Messenger also works fine. [+ I have my firewall set up properly.]
3, Loosing messages:
    a, On 'loosing messages' I mean the following:
       Imagine two Messenger user, A and B (both are connected via Messenger and has no
       Internet connectivity issues).
       A and B initiates a chat. During the conversation they experience that they do
       not fully understand each other. It turns out that some of the messages that
       A sent to B had not arrived to B (and vica versa). The 'lost message' only appears
       in the sender's client window and message log but does not appear in the "receiver's"
       window and message log.
    b, During parallel conversations - A <-> B and A <-> C (A is me):
       A <-> B experiences message loss whereas A <-> C experiences no message loss around
       the same moment (with 5-6 sec difference).
    c, I would like to emphasize that during a 'message loss' Internet connection remains live and   
       Messenger does not drops me out and everything seems to operate properly.
    d, The frequency of loosing messages is not constant:
         - sometimes it occurs rarely, say once per week
         - sometimes it occurs very often, say once per minute
    These are subjective statistics, I use Messenger 4-5 hours per day.
4, Bad message order:
  a, User A sends two messages - a1 and a2, in this order - to user B.
  b, User B receives the two messages in inverse order: first message a2 then a1.
  c, This occurs extremely rare (it is also more difficult to notice...).

To sum up, I think this is not an user-specific/related problem, because some of my friends also
experiencing message losses with different system configurations even in conversations that they
are exercising with another person (where this person is not me). 'On different system configurations'
I mean the following (these are some of my friends configurations):

1, Windows XP SP3 HU, Windows Live Messenger (Ver:2009, Build:14.0.8064.206) without add-ons, COMODO firewall, NOD32 antivirus.
2, Windows Vista SP1 HU 32bit, Messenger Plus + Windows Live Messenger 2009 (up-to-date), Eset Smart Security.
3, Windows XP HU, AVG free, Windows Live Messenger 2008 (build 8,5,1302,1018)"
06-08-2009 12:43 PM
Schnappi

Would opening certain WLM 2009 ports help?
Or the use of Window's Firewall ICMP system would be any good?

are your friends computers running behind routers as well?
06-08-2009 01:15 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Schnappi
Would opening certain WLM 2009 ports help?
Or the use of Window's Firewall ICMP system would be any good?

are your friends computers running behind routers as well?

Unlikely, I think it still only uses port 1863 for messages and I would doubt a router would explicitly block it.

It may help to know what some of the messages are as there are banned words and it may not be telling you when a message is blocked.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
06-08-2009 03:59 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Schnappi
I have uninstalled all scripts/skins, including Plus! itself but this problem still happens.
I do notice this problem more on WLM 2009 compared against the previous version (8.5).

Can the windows live team at least implement an automatic ping command to let the sender know if his/her message has been succesfully delivered?
What's the purpose of an excellent IM program when messages don't get delivered at a 100% rate? Do take this seriously please.
Or at least state the reason(s) for this problem.

Thanks if anyone reads this.
Unfortunatly (for you) the only people who would read this are the forum users. The people for whom this is intended wont read it here.

As Halacs pointed out, you better contact Messenger support if you want anything done. And they will try to help you (despite what some people might claim), eventhough it might take a while for your problem to escalte to the right people (MS is a huge company which has a massive tech support team and the problem must filter thru the correct people, this can take a while and a lot of communication between you and them).

Halacs' list of observations like he post above is an excellent example of how to report such problems to MS; very detailed and as accurate as possible. The more you write something like that (opposed to "it doesnt work" or "messages get lost") the more they will be able to investigate and help you (and other users who don't notice those problems).

big tip: Test everything without any addon and highly stress on the fact that you have the very same problems without any addon installed. Otherwise the chance is very high that your problem will quickly be dismissed as a 3rd party problem.

good luck ;)

This post was edited on 06-09-2009 at 09:25 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-09-2009 09:20 AM
Schnappi

what you mean by contact messenger support?
by email or through the sending feedback option?

And also, I just noticed some advanced options in my ethernet card options.

[Image: 32111896.png]

Would adjusting these settings help to solve my problem?

This post was edited on 06-09-2009 at 02:41 PM by Schnappi.
06-09-2009 02:38 PM
Halacs

– / Male / –
Here is the last reply from Windows Live Messenger Global Escalations:

Hi Gábor,
Thank you for clarification.  I understand your point. 
I just would like to add, issues on third-party add-ons were already proven causing problems like I mentioned on my recent e-mail.  Maybe user A does not have it installed but user B is having problems, for example, receiving IMs from user A.  This is because user B has third-party program/s installed.  I also acknowledge the fact that this issue occurs sporadically.  That is why we cannot recommend and give warranty regarding the performance of these products.   
Moving forward, I will further investigate this issue and will definitely get back to you as soon as I have additional information or additional troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. For now, I will look at all the resources that I have as well as the information we have gathered from you.
Please know that your time and patience is greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.
Regards,
Manny
Windows Live Messenger Global Escalations
06-10-2009 04:39 PM
Schnappi

awww I think their servers are not able to cope with the increased load in messages send to and fro.
I notice this problem more during peak hours though.

would sending them my connection log help?
or is there a guide somewhere to understand the log's terminology?

This post was edited on 06-11-2009 at 09:37 AM by Schnappi.
06-11-2009 05:19 AM
Halacs

– / Male / –
I sent a message to Microsoft on 2 July 2009, but I've no got answer yet.

Hi,

I'm writing to you because of my earlier letter. You have written, that you'll write, if you find the problem, but I didn't get that answer for a month. We still have the problem.

I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Gábor

This post was edited on 08-30-2009 at 10:20 AM by Halacs.
08-28-2009 01:54 PM
Jolo

40 / Male / –
I'm having the exactly same problem since several months ago, without solution.

One thing in common: DD-WRT V24 SP1 on my Linksys WRT350N.

I'm switching back to official Router Firmware temporary tomorrow in order to diagnose this issue.

Jolo.
[Image: Jolo.png]
09-02-2009 03:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: