What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » The whole OK/Apply button dilemma

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Poll: Do you think Plus!' options dialog and Apply button should work like always or like OSs do?
I like Plus!' method
I think it should be proper and use the OSs method
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The whole OK/Apply button dilemma
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma
I voted for a change. Not because it troubles me (it actually doesn't), but simply because it is more consistant with the way it is in the OS and because it was one of those tiny tiny things I mentioned when it first was introduced in Messenger Plus!. No biggy at all though...

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Its kinda impossible that you not notice this....
It's also impossible not no notice you needed to Press "Start" in order to find the shutdown button on Windows 95 through XP. Yet nobody at Microsoft cared enough until Vista.
Start shutdown

Makes sense to me.
Is actually the exact way I have always looked at it, until a few years ago when someone said something about how stupid that is (probably an MS-hater)... It all depends on the way you look at it I guess. I don't have any problem with clicking on start to _start_ the shutdown procedure... makes sense to me...

Because, if you look at it in the literal way those purists do, then "Shutdown" isn't correct either because it wont shut down your computer immediatly and you can even choose to restart or hybernate etc which isn't shutting down your computer at all.... And there are probably many more things and examples like that in modern computer usage. People saying it is inlogic or stupid are just nitpicking in search for something to say bad about MS... (as if they can't find anything else)... there I said it... :P

This post was edited on 02-02-2009 at 03:58 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-02-2009 03:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I voted for a change. Not because it troubles me (it actually doesn't), but simply because it is more consistant with the way it is in the OS and because it was one of those tiny tiny things I mentioned when it first was introduced in Messenger Plus!. No biggy at all though...

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Its kinda impossible that you not notice this....
It's also impossible not no notice you needed to Press "Start" in order to find the shutdown button on Windows 95 through XP. Yet nobody at Microsoft cared enough until Vista.
Start shutdown

Makes sense to me.
Is actually the exact way I have always looked at it, until a few years ago when someone said something about how stupid that is (probably an MS-hater)... It all depends on the way you look at it I guess. I don't have any problem with clicking on start to _start_ the shutdown procedure... makes sense to me...

Because, if you look at it in the literal way those purists do, then "Shutdown" isn't correct either because it wont shut down your computer immediatly and you can even choose to restart or hybernate etc which isn't shutting down your computer at all.... And there are probably many more things and examples like that in modern computer usage. People saying it is inlogic or stupid are just nitpicking in search for something to say bad about MS... (as if they can't find anything else)... there I said it... :P
:-O

Something me and Cookie agree on. This is a dark dark day :P

Anyhow, it does make sense because you want to start something...
Start hibernation...
Start a program...
Start shutdown (process)...

I don't think this is a big issue anyways but I don't think either it would cost Patchou too much trouble.
02-02-2009 06:50 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma
quote:
I don't think either it would cost Patchou too much trouble

Well, no... but it's more aesthetically pleasing. The buttons don't look great when they're disabled. Then you've also got the fact that people are used to it being this way and changes will probably cause a lot of questions. There is no harm in applying settings before anything is changed.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
02-02-2009 06:52 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
of the total amount of plus! users, only .00000001% has noticed this
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
02-02-2009 07:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
robert_dll

– / Male / Flag
I would like to have the poll option suggested by Menthix
02-02-2009 08:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
I have noticed it but never bothered me. Although, the professional way is the one suggested here by riahc4 and indeed, it would be easy for Patchou to do it.

This post was edited on 02-02-2009 at 08:30 PM by Basilis.
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
02-02-2009 08:30 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:
I don't think either it would cost Patchou too much trouble

Well, no... but it's more aesthetically pleasing. The buttons don't look great when they're disabled. Then you've also got the fact that people are used to it being this way and changes will probably cause a lot of questions. There is no harm in applying settings before anything is changed.

People are use to doing it the way its done in the OS.
Do you use your OS less than Messenger?

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I have noticed it but never bothered me. Although, the professional way is the one suggested here by riahc4 and indeed, it would be easy for Patchou to do it.
Exactly. Its all about looking more professional IMO. Nothing else.
02-02-2009 08:54 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
You're right it would be better like that. I didn't do it to avoid forgetting to add a command handler in one of the option controls to remember than an option was changed. There are so many options in the preferences in so many sub-windows, I don't want to forget about any of them.

But in any case, you'e right, it should be done like that to be consistent with most other apps in Windows.
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-02-2009 10:15 PM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
=P Always liked Plus!'s current method, OSs could be like that :)
But anyway;
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I didn't do it to avoid forgetting to add a command handler in one of the option controls to remember than an option was changed. There are so many options in the preferences in so many sub-windows, I don't want to forget about any of them.
good luck!
[Image: Empty.png]
02-02-2009 10:28 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
=P Always liked Plus!'s current method, OSs could be like that :)
But anyway;
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I didn't do it to avoid forgetting to add a command handler in one of the option controls to remember than an option was changed. There are so many options in the preferences in so many sub-windows, I don't want to forget about any of them.
good luck!
Well Patchou never in post confirmed he is going to change it.
He just thinks what we all think.
02-02-2009 11:18 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: