What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Plus is installer for adware?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Plus is installer for adware?
Author: Message:
robert_dll

– / Male / Flag
RE: Plus is installer for adware?
quote:
Originally posted by Fenume
Okies.
Nothing really bad then, ne?
I suppose I continue using Plus! then. :)
I have been using Plus! for years and trust me when I say it is not harmful, and I'm not related in any way with Patchou or any of the beta testers.
03-21-2009 09:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Moh

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Plus is installer for adware?
quote:
Originally posted by Fenume
Okies.
Nothing really bad then, ne?
I suppose I continue using Plus! then. :)
Not one bit. Those millions of users wouldnt have used it, Dont you think so?
quote:
Originally posted by robert_dll
I have been using Plus! for years and trust me when I say it is not harmful, and I'm not related in any way with Patchou or any of the beta testers.
Same here, just dont install the sponsor so as to avoid ad pop-ups.

This post was edited on 03-21-2009 at 09:57 PM by Moh.
03-21-2009 09:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Fredrika

Ok djdanny, lets go for your
quote:
It is not malware, it is optional ad-ware that is not harmful and is certainly not a virus.
You can call it what you will, it is agressive advertising, i have been on a computer after this was installed and every 30 seconds or so, up pops an advert.
I have tried to get rid of it with no luck, yes someone may have tried to uninstall it using malware remover, apparently this damages the uninstall package and can make it impossible to remove without reinstalling it, then removing it 'properly'.
How handy that is, i'm sure that the folk that wrote this 'clever' little programme could have prevented this damage if they wished. Also, do you not see that most people see this as malware? that is obvious as most people use a malware remover to attempt to get rid of it.
As i mentioned, i am not the only one, many many people are very angry with what has happened.
I'm no expert but i am pretty savvy when it comes to computers, if i have had such trouble then imagine the problems a newbie must have.
I have read the instructions from Patchou, i shall give it a try and let you know how it went, either way, my point from my last post
quote:
Why anyone would even think of purchasing anything from those companies that are involved in this sort of advertising is beyond me.
If I see a pop up i take down the company name and exit the browser.
I then refuse to use that company, another potential customer gone.
still stands, im amazed anyone that wishes their programme to be seen as legit would stoop to these levels.

Menthix, i shall take a look, if i am wrong then i stand corrected, i would normally apologise but i still think this is very wrong, i asked who in their right mind would install something on purpose that would annoy the hell out of them. You and i know the answer, noone!! So those that have written this software are hoping that people will unwittingly install the advertising software along with it. Very underhand IMHO.

03-22-2009 06:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
Well alright, you say you don't like the advertisements. If you would like to see the adware bundled with Plus disappear permanently, can you suggest another way in which the developer can make revenue from his efforts?

Nothing will change if you continue with the complaints and empty accusations. If you want things to be different, can you suggest something better?
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
03-22-2009 06:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Fredrika

quote:
If you want things to be different, can you suggest something better?
No i can't, that has nothing to do with it.
I do know that many many people are not using this BECAUSE of the ad ware. They see it as a type of malware which has infected their computer.
Not a good advert in my opinion.

I ask for the third time, who would knowingly want something as annoying as this on their computer?
If the answer is 'noone in their right mind' then the developers can only rely on people unwittingly installing it.
As you are no doubt an avid user of this, i hope you are helping the developers by allowing the pop ups every 30 seconds?
03-28-2009 10:32 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Fredrika
No i can't, that has nothing to do with it.
I do know that many many people are not using this BECAUSE of the ad ware. They see it as a type of malware which has infected their computer.
Not a good advert in my opinion.

well, two years ago there were 20 million active users of Plus! with around 500,000 new installs each day, and IIRC over 50 million downloads.  I'm almost certain that this number will have increased in the past two years with the advent of skinning.

So maybe one or two are put off because they are badly informed about "malware" "infecting" their systems....but it is them who is missing out as there is nothing 'infectious' about Plus, even WITH the sponsor installed.....not to mention as stated a million times that it is completely optional and easily removable if it is installed by accident
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5217 days, 21 hours, 56 minutes, 11 seconds ago
03-28-2009 10:39 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Fredrika
I ask for the third time, who would knowingly want something as annoying as this on their computer?
I would. It helps support Patchou in developing and maintaining a piece of software I use daily. I see it as a way to do something for him in return.
Not that I keep it installed all the time though, but from time to time I install the sponsor, click some of the ads, and uninstall it afterwards.
As stated many times before, it's easy to remove if you do it in the right way. I never had problems uninstalling it.
03-28-2009 12:18 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: