What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Driving Test [Now Passed :D]

Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Driving Test [Now Passed :D]
Author: Message:
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Driving Test
  • Just look out for other cars being stupid.
  • Do exactly what the instructor says.
  • Parallel parking, reversing around corners and turn in the road are are all easy, just remember that you can take as long as you need.
  • Check your mirrors when you when changing direction or speed
  • Don't cross your arms when steering
  • Don't keep one hand on the gear stick
  • Don't ride the clutch
  • Take extra care looking at junctions and islands (make it look exaggerated)
  • Check mirrors before pulling off and look over your shoulder
  • You can take off your seatbelt to reverse if you need to as long as you put it back on before pulling off again (May want to use handbrake to secure the car
  • Adjust your seat and mirrors, even if they are perfect to make sure they know you checked them.
  • Wear your seatbelt and don't start the engine until all passengers are wearing theirs
  • Revise the 2 "show me tell me" (location of oil and how to check the indicators are working for example)
  • Relax and try to appear confident
  • The examiner will most likely ask questions whilst your driving to distract you. Answer when you can, whilst still paying attention to the road ahead.
  • Your driving instructor should have covered a few possible routes the examiner will take you. Try to remember common manoeuvres and where you did them, just in case.
  • I would personally recommend taking the instructor on the test with you. He can't help in anyway, but would be beneficial if the examiner seemed unfair
  • Relax

I passed on my second try as the first time I apparently cut up a black taxi at an island, although we don't have those sorts of taxis around here. Second time I passed with around 7 minors, but everybody gets those :p

I went through 3 different cars during my lessons because my instructor kept buying new ones. I would make sure you know which point of the car to line up when doing a reverse bay park (Once you pass you'll just guess anyway and it couldn't be simpler when you're allowed to move the steering wheel as much as you like)

Just treat it like going a ride with your parents to the shops. Stay relaxed, but if you appear too relaxed the examiner might think your not paying enough attention to everything

This post was edited on 04-15-2009 at 01:28 PM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
04-15-2009 01:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Those are awesome tips....definitely gonna take note of those when I get to mine!

I've had two lessons so far, feels like it's going really well.  I haven't taken the theory yet tho and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on that?

I'm going to the BSM centre tomorrow (i think) to have a try on the hazard perception thing....but I'm just not sure about when to do the theory.....does actual driving help with the theory at all?

I've got the Nintendo DS Driving Theory Training game thing which I've done a lot on....and a HUUUUUGE AA book with loads of questions in.

Any tips people?

Edit: Woo, Post 1966...the year England won the World Cup

This post was edited on 04-15-2009 at 01:48 PM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5216 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes, 5 seconds ago
04-15-2009 01:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Driving Test
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Those are awesome tips....definitely gonna take note of those when I get to mine!

I've had two lessons so far, feels like it's going really well.  I haven't taken the theory yet tho and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on that?

I'm going to the BSM centre tomorrow (i think) to have a try on the hazard perception thing....but I'm just not sure about when to do the theory.....does actual driving help with the theory at all?

I've got the Nintendo DS Driving Theory Training game thing which I've done a lot on....and a HUUUUUGE AA book with loads of questions in.

Any tips people?

Edit: Woo, Post 1966...the year England won the World Cup

I actually did quite well on my theory, 50/50 questions and 65 on hazard perception.

I got a CD for my PC from my driving instructor, it is not the official DSA one. My friend has the official DSA one and now uses mine.

Find it here.

I know you can get it from asda/tesco etc.

Also thanks spunky!
And when your heart begins to bleed, your dead
and dead and dead indeed.
04-15-2009 01:52 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:

Theory test is basic common sense really. I got 1 wrong I think. I would suggest keep trying it until you get a perfect score 5 times (35/35, not 30/35 :p) in a row.

Hazard Perception is harder in my opinion, but click as soon as you see someone about to swerve, walk in the road or if the video shows your car falling out of the sky at an alarming rate :p
04-15-2009 02:08 PM
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Driving Test
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

Theory test is basic common sense really. I got 1 wrong I think. I would suggest keep trying it until you get a perfect score 5 times (35/35, not 30/35 :p) in a row.

Hazard Perception is harder in my opinion, but click as soon as you see someone about to swerve, walk in the road or if the video shows your car falling out of the sky at an alarming rate :p

My theory questions were out of 50 (pass mark being 43) and my hazard perception out of 75 (pass mark being 44)?
04-15-2009 02:40 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
I'm write as far as I can remember, but obviously it'll have changed a lot over the last few years.

I think the DVD I had definitely asked 35 (although it may have been 39, but I can't think why it would give a weird number like that...)
04-15-2009 02:58 PM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
Like Matty said, here we have a GLP anyway I went for my theory test when I was 16 and I finished it in 25 mins 97.5% accuracy (basically there are 50 questions and as soon as you answer 40 correctly, you pass) :). Then I didn't do any driving with it and it expired in 2 years so I had to go back and get it. The second time, I didn't prepare for it at all and I finished the test in 6 mins, with an accuracy of 100% :D, a record in the Licensing office I took it in... (to be fair, the theory test was multiple choice and I had to push buttons).

Now turn the clock another 2 years, I turn 20 in July, but if I don't take my road test by the end of May I have to start the whole process over again.... so yeah... safe to say I hate the graduated licensing program.

Anyway, for your question vimto, pop a mint. The menthol usually has a mild calming effect, just keep taking deep breaths. It's a really awesome feeling actually ;)
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
04-15-2009 03:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Driving Test
I'm just getting myself all worked up!

I need to calm down. Thanks guys :)
04-15-2009 04:57 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Driving Test
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
I'm write as far as I can remember, but obviously it'll have changed a lot over the last few years.

I think the DVD I had definitely asked 35 (although it may have been 39, but I can't think why it would give a weird number like that...)
It was 35 when I sat it in June 07, it changed up to 50 in August that year.

The crap thing about driving tests is as soon as you pass, you'll have a million times more confidence than you did, even on your lessons. Makes driving so much easier as well.

Of course, if you have confidence on the test then you'll be fine. :)
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
04-15-2009 10:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vimto
I'm just getting myself all worked up!

I need to calm down. Thanks guys :)
No worries =)
Just be calm enough not to confuse the acellerator with the break. =) (and be glad you don't have to wait till 18 to start having theorical lessons...)
[Image: Empty.png]
04-16-2009 12:15 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: