What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Trying to identify a device in Device Manager

Trying to identify a device in Device Manager
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  Trying to identify a device in Device Manager
My PC didn't come with USB2 or firewire ports, so I added a PCI to Firewire/USB2 internal card. What would be the name or location of this device in Device Manager? I want to update the driver but don't know what's the device's name in the Device Manager's list.
05-12-2009 05:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Trying to identify a device in Device Manager
Could be in Universal Serial Bus Controllers, do you know what the device is called, if so you can just google it. My sister has a program on her computer that lists all your devices, unfortunately its 1.30AM so i can't find out for you, but if your question hasn't been answered by tomorrow morning i will let you know.

EDIT: You could also try out this piece of software to find out your hardware etc; http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

This post was edited on 05-12-2009 at 05:32 PM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
05-12-2009 05:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: Trying to identify a device in Device Manager
Thanks Eddie, I use Belarc, but find Sisoftware Sandra a more comprehensive hardware scanner. The PCI card's brand is Smartdisk, I called their support but found out they discontinued this product years ago. Their company was bought by Verbatim, the DVD manufacturer. In anycase, these are the Device Manager listings referring to this card:
[Image: 45468720.jpg]

The above are the WinXP's native drivers picked when I installed the card. I found HERE  a more updated driver for this card (26Jul08) but I'm unsure if it is of any benefit to update the drivers. :S:S

This post was edited on 05-13-2009 at 03:48 PM by alegator.
05-13-2009 03:39 PM
Adeptus

If it's not broken, don't try to "fix" it. 

I usually get the most recent drivers for everything when I (re)install the OS.  Unless there is a specific issue, I then leave it alone except for keeping the Nvidia or ATI graphics card drivers up to date on a gaming machine.
05-13-2009 05:34 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
If it's not broken, don't try to "fix" it. 

I usually get the most recent drivers for everything when I (re)install the OS.  Unless there is a specific issue, I then leave it alone except for keeping the Nvidia or ATI graphics card drivers up to date on a gaming machine.
Agreed sort of. There are occasions where you really should keep your drivers up to date, however if there is no real advantage to updating then there really isn't a point in it. But then again if you update and it doesnt do things you want you can simply "Roll Back Drivers", so there is no real harm in updating.
...there used to be a signature here :)
05-14-2009 03:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: