What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Crashing

Crashing
Author: Message:
Shadowmire

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. Crashing
Hi, I am posting because I am having an issue with Messenger crashing when I try to message any contacts. Though the problem is easily resolved, it is more of a way to conform to the problem than a way to fix it.

I figured out that if I turn off tabbed chats, I am able to message people just fine. If I turn it back on and try to message someone, messenger immediately closes without any error message or delay.

I made sure to check through quite a few pages here (seventeen) to be sure I could not find the answer, and sadly I did not.
05-19-2009 02:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
James Potter

64 / Male / Flag
RE: Crashing
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowmire
Hi, I am posting because I am having an issue with Messenger crashing when I try to message any contacts. Though the problem is easily resolved, it is more of a way to conform to the problem than a way to fix it.

I figured out that if I turn off tabbed chats, I am able to message people just fine. If I turn it back on and try to message someone, messenger immediately closes without any error message or delay.

I made sure to check through quite a few pages here (seventeen) to be sure I could not find the answer, and sadly I did not.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Messenger Plus! Live then enabled Tabbed Chats and see what happens?

[Image: 29dtmhs.png]
05-19-2009 03:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Shadowmire

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Crashing
I tried completely uninstalling both Plus! and messenger itself and then reinstalling, and had the same issue. Thank you though.
05-19-2009 03:35 PM
James Potter

64 / Male / Flag
All right. Try renaming these contacts that cause your WLM to crash, then try re-enabling Tabbed Chats, if it still crashes then it is also unrelated to contacts' nicknames.

Some contacts insert characters in their screen name that Messenger at times cannot read, thus crashes.

05-19-2009 03:45 PM
Shadowmire

30 / Male / Flag
That did not work either, but thanks again.
05-19-2009 04:09 PM
James Potter

64 / Male / Flag
What are your Tabbed Chatting options?
Do you use any specific skins or other add-ons, such as MessengerDiscovert 2 or SweetIM?

05-19-2009 04:25 PM
Shadowmire

30 / Male / Flag
I have the exact default options (virtually everything else has been left unchanged since I re-installed, as well) and I do not use any third-party skins or other add-ons.
05-19-2009 04:30 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Crashing
quote:
Originally posted by James Potter
All right. Try renaming these contacts that cause your WLM to crash, then try re-enabling Tabbed Chats, if it still crashes then it is also unrelated to contacts' nicknames.

Some contacts insert characters in their screen name that Messenger at times cannot read, thus crashes.
I'm fairly sure that even if you assign a nickname to a contact, their "real" name will still be displayed on the tab.

Does it happen with all contacts or just a few specific ones (or is it random)? If it only happens with specific contacts, could you post their display names?
[Image: signature.php]
05-19-2009 04:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Shadowmire

30 / Male / Flag
It happens with all contacts.

I made it a point to try it with contacts with simple display names.
05-19-2009 04:43 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: