What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [VB.NET] Adding icons for file association

[VB.NET] Adding icons for file association
Author: Message:
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. [VB.NET] Adding icons for file association
Is there a way to add icons to a VB.NET project so that the compiled .exe shows in, for example Resource Hacker, not just the program icon but the other icons? I would like to know how to do this to add an icon for a file extension used by my application. I've looked around and apparently it's something VS.NET needs badly, but if someone could clear things up for me it would be appreciated :)
07-02-2009 09:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [VB.NET] Adding icons for file association
Using the VB 2008 IDE(possibly earlier versions, I don't know), you can click File>Open File and select your .exe. This should show a resource tree which you can right-click, choose "Add Resource", select "Icon" and then "Import". Once you've selected the icon, click save/save all and the icon should now be viewable in reshacker.

I don't think there's any built-in automated way of doing it though, so this will need to be done every time you recompile your exe.

(Of course, you can also use reshacker to do exactly the same thing, but since the functionality is in VS I thought I'd mention it anyway :P)

Hope this helps
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
07-02-2009 10:50 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [VB.NET] Adding icons for file association
quote:
Originally posted by pollolibredegrasa
This should show a resource tree which you can right-click, choose "Add Resource", select "Icon" and then "Import".

When I open the .exe it comes up with the Object Browser, which I assume you mean by resource tree, but there is no "Add Resource" button anywhere when I right click on it.

EDIT: Oh well, I guess I'll have to use ResHacker anyway. It seems to do the job nicely, but I wish VB.NET allowed you to put other icons in your compiled application...

This post was edited on 07-04-2009 at 04:20 AM by ryxdp.
07-03-2009 08:26 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: