What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Can't hear people speaking on my speakers

Can't hear people speaking on my speakers
Author: Message:
ulrichburke

61 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Can't hear people speaking on my speakers
Thanx for answering!

It's just that the new version of Messenger seems to roll out the red carpet for pesky ad-viruses. Nothing serious, just loads of adbots keep popping up when I scan my computer when the new versions in, when my nice old version's re-installed, the keylogger/adware virus count goes WAAAAY down!

So, something in the new version says 'Howdy. Welcome!' every time an adbot/keylogger wants to come in. 

I'm using Threatfire, Clamwin and Super Anti Spyware.  I set them to disregard MSN Messenger, that's what makes me think they're coming through that way - when a virus tries to come onto my computer WITHOUT using Messenger, 9 times out of 10 I get a warning. 

MP3s are playing fine. Streaming video's got sound, no problem. But whenever someone says they're talking to me, via MSN Messenger, I get zilcho. If they type and I talk to them via my headphones with built in mike (think Madonna!) they say they can hear me fine.  I've  tried playing an MP3 while using Messenger, I can hear that fine, so it's not that something on the soundcard isn't turned up, I wouldn't have thought - I'M NOT a techie, so feel completely free to disagree.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of options to do anything with in Messenger. There's this wizard that's supposed to set things up for you, I've been through it many times trying many different settings, no joy. Sometimes it mucks up my sound altogether so I can't hear anything anywhere but I reckon that's my fault for trying an incorrect setting, just in case. 

Do you think I should use the new version and add more virus protection?

Yours puzzledly

ulrichburke 
07-18-2009 12:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Can't hear people speaking on my speakers - by ulrichburke on 07-17-2009 at 10:12 PM
RE: Can't hear people speaking on my speakers - by Joa on 07-18-2009 at 12:16 AM
RE: Can't hear people speaking on my speakers - by ulrichburke on 07-18-2009 at 12:46 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: