What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » about editing scripts

about editing scripts
Author: Message:
sourcer

O.P. about editing scripts
dear scripters, I'm a newb when it comes to Messenger Plus, I wonder if it is possible for me to edit scripts that are downloaded from the site?
if yes, please tell me how...
07-20-2009 11:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: about editing scripts
You certainly can. If you click the Plus! Menu on the main contact list window > Preferences > Scripts. From this window you can highlight any script and click Edit.
07-20-2009 12:41 PM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: about editing scripts
quote:
Originally posted by matty
You certainly can. If you click the Plus! Menu on the main contact list window > Preferences > Scripts. From this window you can highlight any script and click Edit.

With that said, though, you cannot just edit a skin in a small way and re-release it as your own. You should always give credit for others' code you have used or get permission to use it.
07-20-2009 09:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
sourcer

O.P. RE: RE: about editing scripts
quote:
Originally posted by matty

what if I want to give it out to someone else?  like...  I've got the script, and I want to publish it out.... should I download some kind of a jscript editor?  if yes, what file should I save it in to make it an msn plus file?

This post was edited on 07-21-2009 at 05:48 AM by sourcer.
07-21-2009 05:46 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: about editing scripts
quote:
Originally posted by sourcer
what if I want to give it out to someone else?  like...  I've got the script, and I want to publish it out.... should I download some kind of a jscript editor?  if yes, what file should I save it in to make it an Messenger Plus file?

Generally people package their scripts by compressing them into a .zip file and then renaming the extension to .plsc. The same is done with Plus! Skin packages except the .plsk extension is used instead.

Messenger Plus's inbuilt script editor should suffice for your scripting developments, but a lot of people use external editors such as Notepad++, and some of the more experienced developers may simply use Notepad :P.
07-21-2009 06:00 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: about editing scripts
quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
quote:
Originally posted by sourcer
what if I want to give it out to someone else?  like...  I've got the script, and I want to publish it out.... should I download some kind of a jscript editor?  if yes, what file should I save it in to make it an Messenger Plus file?
Generally people package their scripts by compressing them into a .zip file and then renaming the extension to .plsc. The same is done with Plus! Skin packages except the .plsk extension is used instead.
That will not make it into a proper valid script/skin package though.

sourcer, I suggest you read the Scripting documentation to know how to make a valid script package (and to learn other important stuff).

The scripting documentation can be opened from the inbuild script editor's File menu.

In the scripting documentation go to Contents > Working with Scripts > Packaging your script.

--

In all cases, remember to always ask the original creator of the script/skin if it is ok to re-publish it and you should always give credits.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-21-2009 03:51 PM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: about editing scripts
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Assuming the guy knows how to make a ScriptInfo file properly, it will :P
07-21-2009 10:44 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: about editing scripts
quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Assuming the guy knows how to make a ScriptInfo file properly, it will :P
Yes, but seeing his questions here you could also safely assume he doesn't know. ;)

This post was edited on 07-21-2009 at 11:23 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-21-2009 11:21 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: