What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Live Messenger freezing

Live Messenger freezing
Author: Message:
daedalus

O.P. Live Messenger freezing
Hello, I'm having a problem; Whenever I try to open a new message window for any contact, my messenger locks up for 5-10 seconds.

After few hours of trying to find the solution I found the cause; The text ads at the bottom of the window. Sometimes the opening window doesn't immediately have an ad, then it suddenly freezes and a text ad appears. And otherwise the window opens and freezes immediately and after it loads (now with the ad) it doesn't freeze anymore.

I confirmed this is caused by the ads by installing a certain patch that removes them.

Anyone had this issue? Any suggestions how to fix the freezing caused by ads without resorting to extra patching?
08-27-2009 04:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Live Messenger freezing
Installing a patch would not solve this as the ads are still loaded, just not displayed... A few seconds is not really a problem when it comes to messenger anymore
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-28-2009 12:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
daedalus

O.P. RE: RE: Live Messenger freezing
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Installing a patch would not solve this as the ads are still loaded, just not displayed...
I installed A-Patch and the problem only persists if I leave message window ads enabled (the text ones). Apparently something is being done to the issue. Having main window (contact list) ads enabled doesn't cause any problems.

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
A few seconds is not really a problem when it comes to messenger anymore
True, not by alone but it gets very annoying if you're in a conversation and you get messaged by other people (any new window will cause all messenger windows hang).

This post was edited on 08-28-2009 at 02:12 PM by daedalus.
08-28-2009 02:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Live Messenger freezing
You may be able to stop WLM connecting the ads server by adding an entry to the HOSTS file... I've never done it though so would have to search around a bit for how to do it...
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-28-2009 02:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: