What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online
Author: Message:
Zui

RE: Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online
Well I haven't been on any dodgy sites, so could this just be an error?
10-09-2009 04:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Zui
Well I haven't been on any dodgy sites, so could this just be an error?
Phishing site (any site which claims to be a web messenger / block checker / etc. where you need to login). Email scam pretending to be a legit site. Some password stealer/keylogger/virus bundled whit what seems to be a legit site.

Visit a dodgy site isn't required to be exploited, it can happen to even the most security cautious people.

The only thing you could try to get your account back is visit http://hotmail.com and follow the "forgot your password?" instructions which are linked to at the login page. Or contact support: browse around on https://help.live.com//help.aspx?project=liveidv1 and you'll find a "More Help" link from where can request support.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-09-2009 05:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Zui

I haven't been on any of those sorts of sites, nothing out of the ordinary. And when I go to change my pass it says it's been entered too many times -.0
10-09-2009 05:47 PM
shenshang

its not phishing. its microsofts fault for such a poor encryption that when the information was being transfered to a new server, the information leaked. only accounts beginning from a and b are affected.
10-09-2009 07:58 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Zui
I haven't been on any of those sorts of sites, nothing out of the ordinary. And when I go to change my pass it says it's been entered too many times -.0
Read and follow the instructions here:
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/accounts/arc...s-been-stolen.aspx

quote:
Originally posted by shenshang
its not phishing. its microsofts fault for such a poor encryption that when the information was being transfered to a new server, the information leaked. only accounts beginning from a and b are affected.
First of all, it was because of phising!

More precisly it was an email scam where phising emails were send to people with the request to reply with their login and password (because "otherwise their account would be deleted" or other but similar kind of rubbish).

It had absolutely nothing todo with data being transfered from one server to the other, nor with any encryption. It was simply because all those people actually answered those phising emails with their password and login.

Nor Microsoft, nor Google (also Gmail accounts were targeted and effected by this scam) had anything todo with this.

-

Second, there were far more accounts affected than just the ones starting with a or b (or whatever), but only those starting with a or b (or whatever) were published on pastebin.

This post was edited on 10-09-2009 at 08:28 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-09-2009 08:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Zui

I haven't replied to any of them things I am far too weary of that sort of stuff so I leave them be.
A few of my friends and colleagues have been faced with the same issue, again they haven't done anything out of the ordinary. To be honest I would say it is either something to do with a rootmonkey (that annoying msn freezer bot thing) or the servers are down for various accounts (somehow). The only other way is to guess my password or secret questions along with details and that is far too ridiculous to even go into.
Also when I do try changing my password it says something like "You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect e-mail address or password." so I am in favour of it being that stupid freezer as this has happened before..
10-09-2009 10:20 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Visiting a dodgy site isn't required to be exploited, it can happen to even the most security cautious people.
Really, it can happen to the best of us.

As far as I know the Messenger freezer tools like you describe still allow you to sign in to Hotmail. IF you can't sign in to Hotmail anymore it's likely you were a victim of getting your password stolen too. It doesn't have to be by email phishing like Cookie describes, that only refers to the list of over 10,000 which was in the news recently, but passwords get stolen by the masses all the time.

Follow all of the instructions on the windowslivehelp site Cookie linked to, there are multiple things you can try described there.

/me bookmarks Cookie's link.
Finally a direct link to the eform where you don't have to write a tutorial on how to reach the form.

This post was edited on 10-10-2009 at 03:51 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-09-2009 11:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Zui

Yeah I have sent it through the wlive help form. If that fails then I will continue upon through those steps.
The freezers do work and have a similar effect I have had them used on me before.. but I don't know, it could well be that the emails are infiltrated I don't know. Hopefully the wl help team will help me :)
10-10-2009 12:26 AM
Zui

After following a nice Cookie's advice I now obtain all of my accounts back. All I had to do was change the pass, and did that via the wl help sheet and not the usual forgot your password. I am glad this is sorted, and I thank each and everyone of you for helping. From no on, I think I will hang about msg help.
10-10-2009 03:44 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: