What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM 2010 revealed

Pages: (20): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 11 12 13 » Last »
WLM 2010 revealed
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: WLM 2010 revealed
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Really not a fan of this whole social networking integration thing.  I think it needs to stay primarily as a Messenger program.  By all means have the OPTIONAL ability to import social networking feeds and stuff.....but what I really want is just a contact list and a well built, reliable chat program.

Hopefully they'll be listening to the kind of feedback that's floating around here (and no doubt being mirrored elsewhere) and make changes to that end
the way Messengers are going these days you can Import just about any social Networking stuff into the client, take for instance AIM an ICQ7 , with ICQ7 you can import Yahoo/WLM/facebook/twitter an others i think Microsoft have to take WLM a step forward but give people the option of closing that other pane if they dont want it,  its all about social Networking now, Not just 1 IM Client. lots use facebook, people wanna be able to chat with there facebook friends Via WLM or any other Native client. if you dont like it go to another IM Service, maybe Yahoo Messenger might suit you? if Microsoft were to take the facebook an other service feature out they'll lose users to other services, i cant see Microsoft wanting that to happen, you cant please everyone. 

main problem is that Fat ugly Ad

thats prolly my longest reply to anyone on this forum, feel privileged :refuck:

This post was edited on 02-19-2010 at 09:58 PM by Hank.
02-19-2010 09:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
Really not a fan of this whole social networking integration thing.  I think it needs to stay primarily as a Messenger program.  By all means have the OPTIONAL ability to import social networking feeds and stuff.....but what I really want is just a contact list and a well built, reliable chat program.

Hopefully they'll be listening to the kind of feedback that's floating around here (and no doubt being mirrored elsewhere) and make changes to that end
the way Messengers are going these days you can Import just about any social Networking stuff into the client, take for instance AIM an ICQ7 , with ICQ7 you can import Yahoo/WLM/facebook/twitter an others i think Microsoft have to take WLM a step forward but give people the option of closing that other pane if they dont want it,  its all about social Networking now, Not just 1 IM Client. lots use facebook, people wanna be able to chat with there facebook friends Via WLM or any other Native client. if you dont like it go to another IM Service, maybe Yahoo Messenger might suit you? if Microsoft were to take the facebook an other service feature out they'll lose users to other services, i cant see Microsoft wanting that to happen, you cant please everyone. 

main problem is that Fat ugly Ad

thats prolly my longest reply to anyone on this forum, feel privileged :refuck:

Woo, I do :P

I definitely agree about the Ad.....the ads at the moment are bad enough (even though I skin them out :P)......there needs to be less advertising, not more.......I mean.......can they honestly make that much out of the adverts?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5221 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes, 6 seconds ago
02-19-2010 10:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jstnfox
Why do we what Social any way? Isn't that Tweetdecks job? Seriously Microdouche facebook and Twitter (mainly twitter) are supposed to die this year at some point. So why waste all this time on social networking intergration when its going to be useless soon.

Dunno on what planet you live on, but on this dirtball social networking is rising like never before and will still keep on rising in the near future. Not recognizing that or not jumping on the band wagon is a sure formula to die quickly... Hence, _every_ major brand IM client is going in the same way, there is no exception. So you might want to switch to another IM client to divert from this social networking, but eventually that other IM client will soon follow the trend too.

PS: don't get me wrong, it is not because I do recognize the uprise of the social networking, that I agree with all that (bloated) stuff. I'm one of those people who 'hate' (maybe expressed a bit too strong, but still it's close to hating) the whole social networking thing. But that doesn't change the fact how 99% of the world (and the IM world for that matter) works.

Even those who don't realy like all that social stuff, often do use it (knowingly or not)!! Think about it; forums, blogs, etc are social networks too! Many comments about not liking the whole integration of social networking are done on ... social networks! Take these leaked screenshots for example, links upon links you see comments, comments which come from other networks and which are linked back in one way or the other to the 'source'. If it wasn't for social networks like facebook, twitter, blogs, etc you probably wouldn't even have seen them and be able to comment on them...

quote:
I want a new messenger thats sophisticated but stylish that has animated backgrounds like the koi background from kiwee on the sign in and contact lists.
I want to be able to change the dp border from a square to a circle or just have a choice of about 10 border styles. I want to see it made easier to skin. I also want to see the remove contacts personal message option available in the Windows Toolbox skin become a default option and I really want to get rid of that stupid ninemsn video bar down the bottom and the advertsing.
You do realize that you're prooving exactly why Microsoft is doing what they are doing since a while now?

eg: Some other individual does not want animated backgrounds but do want the ability to use winks. And another only wants to IM and to see his friends tweets, but would never ever skin Messenger. And another wants to be able to chat via the Messenger network and the Facebook network, but finds all those choices of squared, rounded, etc rectangles for the DP completely useless, etc. etc.

The point is, no company can make something unique for each individual, not Microsoft, not anybody. Every company will always listen to majority of the userbase and what they want, not what one or two individuals want. This is true for even Messenger Plus!, Google, or any other company you do have high respect for. Microsoft is not doing anything differently...

This said, I do have some concearns about the new look and I still hope some changes will be made (smaller ad, smaller fonts, etc). But the overall look is most likely not going to change that much, because this is what the world wants.

You can not forget that forums like these, blogs like where those screenshots are posted, etc, actually do not represent the majority! But a relative very small subset of power-users (still thousands and thousands of people though). We quite often tend to forget that.

quote:
Surely Microsoft you have enough money that you don't need advertisements in your programs.
Those ads are exactly how they gain revenue. Removing those ads means no Messenger at all. Or would you rather pay for Messenger (and I mean actually paying, thus not hacking a payed version)? I surely doubt it. And if you would, the majority would not.

quote:
can they honestly make that much out of the adverts?
for a program as much used as Messenger... yes

This post was edited on 02-19-2010 at 10:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-19-2010 10:23 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag

quote:
Woo, I do :P

I definitely agree about the Ad.....the ads at the moment are bad enough (even though I skin them out :P)......there needs to be less advertising, not more.......I mean.......can they honestly make that much out of the adverts?
last i heard they make 10 cents a minute , something like that on the Adverts.

but there are people around here that use twitter so they dont hate social Networking. i dont like twitter but i do like facebook, i just rarely login to the web interface of facebook, if i can use WLM or any other client to chat to my friends on facebook it makes my life that much easier   

This post was edited on 02-19-2010 at 10:41 PM by Hank.
02-19-2010 10:26 PM
billyy

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ

last i heard they make 10 cents a minute , something like that on the Adverts. 
6 bucks an hour?
Is that realy worth it?
I'm new at this, so don't expect me to be usefull any
time soon. But if i behaved you could rep me :P
02-19-2010 10:39 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by billyy
6 bucks an hour?
Is that realy worth it?
it is to Microsoft if you have to pay all those developers. it might be a second or a Minute they get money from those Ads,i dont remember what it is now

if its $6 an hour, that $6 should come from every user using WLM from those Ads. how many users use WLM?.. Millions i would think, so $6 from everyone of those Million users an hour works out to a lot of money.

This post was edited on 02-19-2010 at 11:24 PM by Hank.
02-19-2010 10:42 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Finally some decent looking screenshots. Classic contacts list the way we're used to it from the current version.

Source: More Windows Live Messenger Wave 4 screenshots – hints at Video Messages integration, geo-tagging in Photos, and more! at LiveSide, via cnbeta.com (Chinese) and wikikou.fr (French).

[Image: zhangxiaolu_170446822881548.jpg]

[Image: zhangxiaolu_1705481105928926.jpg]

[Image: zhangxiaolu_170656253492106.jpg]

[Image: zhangxiaolu_1704231670072945.jpg]

[Image: smiley-wlm2010-4837.jpg]

See Liveside for the full story and analysis of the screenshots :).

This post was edited on 02-21-2010 at 01:07 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-21-2010 01:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i dunno but im sort of getting used to this new look, , the emoticons dont really bother me, i couldnt care if there were none at all :) but you always got Custom Emotes anyway.  but i think the facebook plus WLM integration will be a Bonus for me , majority of my contacts use facebook anyway

by the sounds of it there maybe more new features to. what i'd like to know is, what does the Preferences window look like, im sure that'll be different

This post was edited on 02-21-2010 at 01:18 AM by Hank.
02-21-2010 01:16 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
I like the first screenshot there.....I'm not really sure what view those others are though...are they like an expanded contact list?  Or another view altogether like the Windows Live Today screen?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5221 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes, 6 seconds ago
02-21-2010 01:47 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
I'm not really sure what view those others are though...are they like an expanded contact list?  Or another view altogether like the Windows Live Today screen?
It's more the social networking side of Live Messenger. Everybody's guess is you can switch between classic contacts list and social view with the button in the upper right. So yes, in a way it collapses/expands.

The more I'm looking at these screenshots though, the more Im wandering about the inconsistencies between screenshot 2 and 3. Almost like they are from different builds. Also confused why all the screenshots are English, but the about box Chinese.

Surprised no build seemed to have leaked yet, while screenshots seem to come from all corners of the web now.

This post was edited on 02-21-2010 at 03:42 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-21-2010 02:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (20): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 11 12 13 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: