What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Switch surround sound channels?

Switch surround sound channels?
Author: Message:
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Switch surround sound channels?
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
If you can find a decent 6PDT switch, it's very possible it would work.
Define "decent" please :P

Priced right, doesn't feel like it'll fall apart in your hands. (not uncommon for cheap stuff)
quote:
quote:
Though I'm pretty sure you don't need to switch the subwoofer, so you would only need a 5PDT.
Do these even exist? A Google Image search for 5PDT shows irrelevant images, but does show some pictures of 6PDT switches when searching for 6PDT.

Forgot about that, very possible it dosn't exist.
quote:
quote:
The following information may make it clearer, it may make it worse. if you don't fully understand I don't blame you, just disregard it. There's no real solution here, just some background on relays.
Thanks, now relays make more sense :P

Your Welcome :)
quote:
quote:
I would highly suggest NOT combining your center and left/right speaker channels. It's typically not expected when the receiver company builds the receiver and you don't know what will happen when the power is coming/going from different channels.

My solution would be to add an additional center channel speaker and switch between the two instead of trying to mix the audio signals. If you're only using 2 channel audio you may not even notice that you don't have it..

Alright, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll see if I can add speaker on the desk.

If your switching before the amplifier or receiver, that is not possible, so also keep that in mind.
quote:
quote:
EDIT: To answer your question in the other forum, yes you would need a power source to operate your relays. An old 5V wall charger from a cell phone would probably be your best bet.
Bah! :(
Having a power source seems weird since I will only be rerouting the signals :-/
Is there any reason to prefer relays over a standard switch?

Not in this case, Relays are preferred where you want to control the circuit electrically when another device turns on for example. In this case it would be easier to have one switch turn on 3 DPDT relays instead of hitting 3 switches each time you change your seat. (for example) You could also remotely locate the swicth by running 2 wires instead of 12 (6 in 6 out).
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoshrocket
might be worth noting it could well be a cheaper and less confusing (debatable) to use multiple smaller relays, ie 2 x 3PDT or even 3 x DPDT.
Can you create an example diagram please? I can imagine how the diagram for using a 5PDT/6PDT would be, but I'm not sure about this one :P
Not quoting me, but that's ok. For example, you can use 3 relays with the same switch operating 3 coils and they will operate in unison. This is probably the route you will want to take if you are using relays, since they are much easier to find than 6 pole relays. It would work exactly like a 5P/6P except it would be more physical units with the coil (control) side wired in parallel.
quote:
quote:
My first instinct would be to place the device between the receiver and the speakers, instead of the PC and the receiver, and switch the "grounds" at the same time as switching the channels.
Hmmm ... that would be hard because I use two different receivers (one for the L/R channels and another one for the rest of the channels).
Depending on how your speakers are hooked up, it may not matter if they are connected to 1, 2, or 6 receivers/amplifiers. Does the end of the speaker cables have 2 bare wires in pinch jacks, rca jacks, or some sort of proprietary connection?
01-03-2010 11:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Switch surround sound channels? - by Mike on 12-28-2009 at 06:07 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Mike on 01-02-2010 at 10:44 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Menthix on 01-02-2010 at 11:47 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Mike on 01-03-2010 at 01:03 AM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by wj on 01-03-2010 at 03:24 AM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Mike on 01-03-2010 at 07:30 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by lizard.boy on 01-03-2010 at 09:08 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by stoshrocket on 01-03-2010 at 09:19 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by lizard.boy on 01-03-2010 at 09:32 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Mike on 01-03-2010 at 10:27 PM
RE: RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by lizard.boy on 01-03-2010 at 11:19 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Adeptus on 01-03-2010 at 11:44 PM
RE: RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Mike on 01-04-2010 at 12:09 AM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by stoshrocket on 01-04-2010 at 12:07 AM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by lizard.boy on 01-04-2010 at 01:27 AM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Mike on 01-04-2010 at 04:03 AM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by lizard.boy on 01-06-2010 at 04:54 PM
RE: Switch surround sound channels? - by Mike on 01-09-2010 at 09:13 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: