What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Laptop...worth buying?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Laptop...worth buying?
Author: Message:
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. Laptop...worth buying?
I've been eying on a Dell Studio 15 since their Boxing Day flyers came out...I think it's pretty cheap for its price (probably going to use this well into Uni). Any opinions? Canadians?

Dell Studio 15

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor @ 1.6GHz
15.6” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz
500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Intel 5300 Ultimate-N Half Mini Card (3x3) with MyWiFi

...for $1199 CAD.

This post was edited on 12-29-2009 at 05:32 AM by Nagamasa.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6547 days, 5 minutes, 50 seconds ago.

12-28-2009 09:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Laptop...worth buying?
Specs look cool, but I can't say about the price.
12-29-2009 12:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

Just shop around some other brands and see.  Computer pricing changes very quickly.  No one can really tell you how good the price is, unless they've shopped for something with similar specs in the last month or two.

That said, Dell is usually very competitive and it is also a decent brand, particularly for laptops.  Unless you are interested in Lenovo's IBM-descended product lines (which can beat anything in quality and design, but will come at a substantial premium most non-corporate buyers are unwilling to pay) Dell would be my next recommendation, both for the overall quality and price/value.
12-29-2009 04:59 AM
segosa
Community's Choice

I haven't even looked it up, but I imagine it'll weigh a tonne.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
12-29-2009 09:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
$1199 CAD in all other currencies.

Looks like a good price for awesome specs. (Y)
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-30-2009 03:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
As long as you don't expect to go around without that power adapter of yours, you should be fine (that i7 will EAT your battery).

Add an SSD to your system, will make it run a lot faster. Get an intel X25-M is you can afford it.

For the price, it's pretty good.
12-30-2009 03:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Laptop...worth buying?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
which can beat anything in quality and design
Lenovos are as ugly as...my old CRT displays :P My friend got a ThinkPad in August...and it looks...like the demos at Ikea. But yes I've taken a look at them.
quote:
Originally posted by albert
Add an SSD to your system, will make it run a lot faster. Get an intel X25-M is you can afford it.
This thing is going to be my primary, and I don't have an external HD, so I don't think I can get an SSD for it. (Plus it's expensive.)

Thanks for the advice everyone!
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6547 days, 5 minutes, 50 seconds ago.

01-02-2010 05:21 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Lenovos are as ugly as...my old CRT displays :P My friend got a ThinkPad in August...and it looks...like the demos at Ikea. But yes I've taken a look at them.
Lenovos might not be pretty and as glossy as the Dell (yes, I have a SXPS 16 so I know what high end Dells are like) but they are cheap and have good performance.

I went with a friend to pick up a budget laptop for him and I must say, the lenovo was good. He even got a full keyboard (with a numpad) that I am kinda envious about now :P

High end dells (and everything else I'm guessing) eat up your battery. You can't travel anywhere without your adapter. I'm saying this from personal experience :)
It's good for a primary machine but if you plan to travel a lot, it's not totally the best thing. So it's really a judgment call tbh.

I used mine for 6 months but then my brother needed a Desktop Replacement so I gave him mine and took his Sony Vaio (crap machine but small and light). Now I'm seriously considering getting a lighter and more portable laptop next time around. I'd get a mac if those bloody things were cheaper :sad: I have a feeling I'll end up with a Lenovo or an Acer since they sell laptops with no OS. With Acer, I can run ubuntu on my machine without having to pay for Windows. Or use that unused Windows 7 license I have lying around my house :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-02-2010 06:48 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by John Aderton
Lenovos might not be pretty and as glossy as the Dell (yes, I have a SXPS 16 so I know what high end Dells are like) but they are cheap and have good performance.
You clearly have been looking at non-Thinkpad Lenovo lines.  Thinkpads are anything but cheap.  What goes for them is the solid feel and the fact if you ever need to whack somebody in the head with your laptop, their skull will crack before the Thinkpad does.  Titanium frames, etc...
01-02-2010 08:19 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Originally posted by John Aderton
You clearly have been looking at non-Thinkpad Lenovo lines.  Thinkpads are anything but cheap.  What goes for them is the solid feel and the fact if you ever need to whack somebody in the head with your laptop, their skull will crack before the Thinkpad does.  Titanium frames, etc...

* albert looks at my t400 and agrees.
Although, if you are a student you can get a sick price. Mine cost me 1100$ CAN taxes and shipping in.

Anyways, more on the solidity line :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw78gcU713g
01-02-2010 03:46 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: