What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Graphics Card Suggestions requested

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Graphics Card Suggestions requested
Author: Message:
John Anderton
Elite Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 3908
Reputation: 80
34 / Male / Flag
Joined: Nov 2004
Status: Away
O.P. Graphics Card Suggestions requested
I recently got myself a new monitor (24" 1920x1080) which I now use in parallel with my old monitor (17" 1280x1024) meaning I have a nice 3200x1080 display.
For all these years, I've been using an E6600 (OCed to 2.67GHz) with 2GB of DDR2 RAM (960MHz) and a MSI NViDIA GeForce 7600 GS with 256MB GDDR(2/3) RAM.

I mention my approximate system specs because ever since I added this second mon back in November, using applications like Photoshop really aren't fun. I can play 1080p movies fine thanks to my processor and a bit of settings on my MPC-HC but Photoshop and some basicish games that I play suck.

My graphics card was not that great when I got it around 3 or so years back and it's been utter shit for a while barely letting me play most games at low quality. But the one game I used to play regularly (Fifa 10) doesn't run well on my new resolution and that coupled with other things such as Photoshop being a bitch makes me consider getting a new graphics card.

I should mention I'm on a budget. I've not decided how much it is but I'd like it to have good VFM (Value for Money) and should be one that would last me a couple of years at least (not necessarily for the absolute high end games at the highest resolution in the future.. but should at least let me enjoy them at lower qualities 2 years down the line).

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know :)

I've made this thread because I haven't looked at any graphics card in years and thought it'd be good to get some input. Also, I'm assuming that my problem is my graphics card (for Photoshop framing) and if anyone thinks otherwise, let me know.

Update: My motherboard is a P5-KPLE. It doesn't have SLI/Crossfire so don't even think about that :P Single PCI-e 16x slot.

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 05:56 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-10-2010 05:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 1297
Reputation: -5
– / Male / Flag
Joined: Sep 2005
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
You can't go wrong with an Nvidia 9800gt. It's not a high end card, but  it's still an excellent. It can play most PC games on max settings and could continue playing most new games on max settings for the next 3 years.

Also it isn't very expensive. I have one at the moment, and i play alot of games.

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 05:55 AM by Discrate.
01-10-2010 05:53 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 3908
Reputation: 80
34 / Male / Flag
Joined: Nov 2004
Status: Away
O.P. RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
You can't go wrong with an Nvidia 9800gt. It's not a high end card, but  it's still an excellent. It can play most PC games on max and could continue playing most new games on max settings for the next 3 years.

Also it isn't very expensive.
I thought the 9800GT was "old". I saw it in the market a couple of months back and it seemed cheapish (6K INR-ish) :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-10-2010 05:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 1297
Reputation: -5
– / Male / Flag
Joined: Sep 2005
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
You can't go wrong with an Nvidia 9800gt. It's not a high end card, but  it's still an excellent. It can play most PC games on max and could continue playing most new games on max settings for the next 3 years.

Also it isn't very expensive.
I thought the 9800GT was "old". I saw it in the market a couple of months back and it seemed cheapish (6K INR-ish) :P

I don't know what 6K INR is equivalent to in my money :P I can pick up a 9800gt for around $120 dollars.

It's not really old, i think it came out last year. It has directx10. The next series up from it is the GTX200 series, which is new so it is more expensive, plus the lower end GTX 200 GPUs are just re badges of the 9000 series. But like i said a 9800gt will last you for ages, plus it's a good cheap price.

Edit: It would really help if you gave a brief estimate on how much you could spend :P

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 06:08 AM by Discrate.
01-10-2010 05:59 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 3908
Reputation: 80
34 / Male / Flag
Joined: Nov 2004
Status: Away
O.P. RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
I don't know what 6K INR is equivalent to in my money :P I can pick up a 9800gt for around $120 dollars.
Lazy.

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Edit: It would really help if you gave a brief estimate on how much you could spend :P
Depends. I don't have a fixed budget. Limiting concern is my conscience :) I'd say 12K INR would be the absolute max but tbh, I would like to avoid spending more than 8K INR if I can (ie anything above it would need real good justification).
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-10-2010 06:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike
*****

Avatar
In the Shadow Gallery once again

Posts: 2200
Reputation: 60
35 / Male / Flag
Joined: Nov 2004
Status: Away
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
Honestly ATI is ahead in the graphics cards right now. I have a 4850 myself, the whole 4800 series is fine. ncix lists the current price at $135 CAD (just under 6k INR). I have the XFX 4850 with dual LCD's running at 1280x1024 (fullscreen ftw) and can run all the games I've tried at full graphics spec, and then some.

If you want something newer, look at the 5700 series.

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 06:33 AM by MeEtc.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
01-10-2010 06:30 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 1297
Reputation: -5
– / Male / Flag
Joined: Sep 2005
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
Honestly ATI is ahead in the graphics cards right now. I have a 4850 myself, the whole 4800 series is fine. ncix lists the current price at $135 CAD (just under 6k INR). I have the XFX 4850 with dual LCD's running at 1280x1024 (fullscreen ftw) and can run all the games I've tried at full graphics spec, and then some.

If you want something newer, look at the 5700 series.

ATI is ahead right now with there high end GPU that costs like 500 dollars. He doesn't want a very expensive high end GPU. Nvidia shits all over ATI.

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
I don't know what 6K INR is equivalent to in my money :P I can pick up a 9800gt for around $120 dollars.
Lazy.

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Edit: It would really help if you gave a brief estimate on how much you could spend :P
Depends. I don't have a fixed budget. Limiting concern is my conscience :) I'd say 12K INR would be the absolute max but tbh, I would like to avoid spending more than 8K INR if I can (ie anything above it would need real good justification).

Ok that's more like it. I would recommend getting the Nvida GTX250 then.

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 06:37 AM by Discrate.
01-10-2010 06:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner
*****


Posts: 1476
Reputation: 53
29 / Male / Flag
Joined: Jul 2006
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
i suggest the 9800gt, i have one (the asus ultimate one... so its overclocked by default compared to others) and i run dual monitors, and games like call of duty 6 on max (no aa, you dont need it at 1080p) with no problems (well i do disable the second monitor... which does give a speed boost).. and actually i say that i get ~80fps in multiplayer games of cod6

i would never go ATI, i just dont like them... and i have found that they are only really good for having AA in games... which when running at full 1080p is not noticeable really.

another card that you might want to go for is a nvidia 260, they are a good card and should run great for a few years. you can get one of them here in aus for 239 (thats just the first one i found... so could be cheaper) which is ~10k INR.

edit: or as discrate said, the 250 is also an alright card

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 06:40 AM by NanaFreak.
01-10-2010 06:39 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 1297
Reputation: -5
– / Male / Flag
Joined: Sep 2005
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
i suggest the 9800gt, i have one (the asus ultimate one... so its overclocked by default compared to others) and i run dual monitors, and games like call of duty 6 on max (no aa, you dont need it at 1080p) with no problems (well i do disable the second monitor... which does give a speed boost).. and actually i say that i get ~80fps in multiplayer games of cod6

i would never go ATI, i just dont like them... and i have found that they are only really good for having AA in games... which when running at full 1080p is not noticeable really.

another card that you might want to go for is a nvidia 260, they are a good card and should run great for a few years. you can get one of them here in aus for 239 (thats just the first one i found... so could be cheaper) which is ~10k INR.

edit: or as discrate said, the 250 is also an alright card

Yeh, i just compared the 9800gt and the GTX 250 on the Nvidia website. the GTX250 is slightly better then the 9800gt, so he might aswell get it since he has enough money.
01-10-2010 06:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 1411
Reputation: 27
33 / Male / Flag
Joined: Mar 2003
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
If you want a new card, get an ATI. As much of an nVidia fanboy as I am, ATI got it right with the latest generation.
[Image: signature.php]
01-10-2010 07:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »


Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread:

Forum Jump:

Forum Rules:
You cannot post new threads
You cannot post replies
You cannot post attachments
You can edit your posts
HTML is Off
myCode is On
Smilies are On
[img] Code is On