What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » MSG not showing in WLM 9.0......

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
MSG not showing in WLM 9.0......
Author: Message:
chaoscreater

– / Male / Flag
O.P. MSG not showing in WLM 9.0......
Hi guys, i'm new here and hope someone can help me out. First of all, i'm a long term MSGPlus user and never had this problem before, and also i read the stickied topic already, i.e this one here:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=69388

the solution shown in that topic says to use a new SmileyCentral.dll or something like that, but i never installed SmileyCentral and don't plan to since it's not trusthworthy and has tons of popup ads and i consider it as a spyware.

I never had to install it to get my MSGPlus working anyway, i'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and never had this problem before, and i think the reason i have this problem is because i installed some new antivirus programs like Comodo Internet Security & Avira Antivirus, but i did add them to the firewall exception list so it should work, but it doesn't.

Also, by MSGPlus not showing up i mean that it's installed and the first time configuration window shows up, but i don't see the Plus option on the tabs or anywhere else, i see nothing related to MSGPlus on my messenger.

I know it's installed properly because if i tried to import scripts or skins, they get imported, but they don't show up or anything. But this proves that i did install MSGPlus properly, because you can't even import skins or scripts without having it installed in the first place.

And yes in case someone asks, i'm using a clean version of WLM 9.0, and i reinstalled everything twice, i.e removed MSG Plus and WLM 9, and installed them again.

I'm not using Mess or Apatch, and i'm not using Messenger Discovery Live either, well i do use those but i haven't installed them yet. Everything is basically clean and un-altered.

I never have this problem though, i install MSGPlus tons of times on my Windows 7, i installed it on my laptop and my other PCs and never had a problem, so i'm thinking it's the new antivirus apps i have, but i need those badly so don't wanna switch to a different one either.......any suggestions?
01-20-2010 05:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
robert_dll

– / Male / Flag
RE: MSG not showing in WLM 9.0......
quote:
Originally posted by chaoscreater
the solution shown in that topic says to use a new SmileyCentral.dll or something like that, but i never installed SmileyCentral and don't plan to since it's not trusthworthy and has tons of popup ads and i consider it as a spyware.
Excuse me, what?

The thread says the opposite, to REMOVE SmileyCentral.dll, re-read the topic.

I would suggest disabling your antivirus software just to check if that's the problem.

This post was edited on 01-20-2010 at 09:15 PM by robert_dll.
01-20-2010 09:14 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
chaoscreater

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MSG not showing in WLM 9.0......
oh ok my bad, but i never installed it in the first place anyway, and i'm 100% sure about this, it doesn't show up under Add/Remove programs and i don't get those annoying ads etc, i know this because i installed it before, like ages ago when i was a kid, so i know the symptoms or signs of that program, but anyway i haven't installed it at all.

I did try to disable my antivirus programs but it still doesn't work.
01-20-2010 10:58 PM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
Are you using MSGPlus or Messenger Plus! Live?

There has recently been a member who install the incorrect program.

(The forum you're on is for Messenger Plus! Live.)
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6562 days, 2 hours, 26 minutes, 21 seconds ago.

01-21-2010 02:43 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
chaoscreater

– / Male / Flag
I'm using Messenger Plus! Live v4.83.376, i dowloaded from www.msgplus.net

I thought MSGPlus means Messenger Plus! Live? Well anyway, i've always been using Messenger Plus! Live, and always downloaded it from this site.
01-21-2010 02:50 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Have you read the following thread?

Messenger Plus! Live Disappears after restart

There are many programs besides SmileyCentral which can cause the issue you are describing
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5222 days, 23 hours, 20 minutes, 51 seconds ago
01-21-2010 01:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
chaoscreater

– / Male / Flag
@djdannp, from the list of the apps in the link you posted, i have these 2 installed:

ThreatFire
PC Tools Spyware Doctor

which should be the ones causing the conflict i guess, i can disable spyware doctor but i need to keep Threatfire on, my computer has been hacked twice and i've had a lot of information stolen from me, and all this happened within a month, so i need to use some what decent antivirus programs and the suggested free antivirus programs suggested from the link you posted just aren't good enough........is there a way to solve this conflict other than uninstalling them?

edit:

I know i can add programs to whitelist or add them as exception so they can still run, just like adding a program to a Firewall exception list, but out of all the files in the Messenger Plus! Live folder, only 'Mptools' is a .exe file, the rest are .dll files, so how can i make this work?? Because i've already tried adding Mptools.exe to the exception and fix the problem, i would assume so since i think the .dll files are the ones that launch MSGPlus Live when you launch WLM.......but they aren't .exe files so i can't add them, and i tried re-registering them by right clicking and register component, i also tried to open MPtools and it doesn't work, it just shows it's part of the MSGPlus Live and i should refer to the documentation message....

I also tried disabling Threatfire protection fully, and tried to launch WLM, and MSGPlus Live still doesn't show up. And the weird thing is, whenever i try an uninstall of MSGPlus Live, it just doesn't it fully without asking me to modify or repair it, normally it should show that box, so i'm guessing that MSGPlus Live isn't even fully registered into the system, which is why none of those showed up....

i also found this:
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57825

This post was edited on 01-21-2010 at 11:15 PM by chaoscreater.
01-21-2010 10:34 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Microsoft Security Essentials is widely regarded as one of the best anti-virus prodicuts on the market.  I use it myself on several computers and it has proved so reliable at work that we have cancelled our subscription with McAfee to use it instead, so I can assure you that it is a more than decent replacement for ThreatFire and it will enable you to use Messenger Plus! Live properly too
01-22-2010 09:58 AM
chaoscreater

– / Male / Flag
Please don't take this wrongly, but i'm pretty experienced in the antivirus area, and Microsoft Security Essentials isn't really any good. None of the top review sites listed that as one of the best antivirus programs, i have NEVER seen that on any list. I do researches on this sort of topic, i read chart comparisons and stress tests etc, and that has never been mentioned on any site at all. I never liked any of the Microsoft security programs either, Windows Defender is crap and One Care sucks too. It doesn't offer the amount of protection and custom rules that a user can set, and not only that but i've used it before and still got virus infections.

I've done a lot of research and asked a lot of professional or experienced users in this sort of area, where the sites or forums i go to are dedicated for this type of stuff and none of them has ever mentioned using Microsoft Security Essentials, this is the first time i've had a referral of that program, and the first time i used it i only wanted to try it out coz i came across it, and it really sucked for me.

Take a look at this site for example:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-securi...llenge/results.php

anyway maybe anyone who is currently using Microsoft Security Essentials thinks it does fine because it deals with most of the simple viruses, but when it comes to a really serious infection on your PC, it might not be good enough. From experience, it doesn't show you much of any outgoing/incoming activity, whether it's a network connection or a program trying to access a certain file or registry etc, and that's just not very protective in my opinion.

This post was edited on 01-22-2010 at 10:29 AM by chaoscreater.
01-22-2010 10:25 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Windows Defender is an anti-malware program, not an anti-virus program and I never experienced any problems with it during the time I used it.  I can't vouch for OneCare as I never use paid products.

Try taking a read of these two articles.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
I would personally recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

Good articles:
- Stop Paying for Windows Security; Microsoft's Security Tools Are Good Enough
- Microsoft Security Essentials Ranks as Best-Performing Free Antivirus

Not to mention that the article you quoted was from long before Microsoft Security Essentials was released ;)

Anti-virus products don't display "outgoing/incoming activity", that's the job of a firewall, so is an invalid criticism of a piece of anti-virus software.

Whether you want to listen to me or not, the facts are simple: you CANNOT use Messenger Plus! Live and ThreatFire together and have both of them functioning.  One of them has several perfectly good alternatives, one of them doesn't......so I know which I'd remove ;)

You came to a forum to get advice....you're being given the only advice possible for this problem, what you choose to do with it is your outlook.

This post was edited on 01-22-2010 at 10:42 AM by djdannyp.
01-22-2010 10:40 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: