What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Communications Platform Has Stopped Working?

Windows Live Communications Platform Has Stopped Working?
Author: Message:
james1996

O.P. Windows Live Communications Platform Has Stopped Working?
hi, i have had windows live messenger 9 installed on my computer for a few months now and have had no problems whatsoever. However the other day when i tried signing on it took 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes a box popped up saying Windows Live Communications Platform has stopped working. I get two options saying 'check online for a solution and close the program' or just 'close the program'. However whichever of the options i choose it stil doesn't solve my problem. I also have Vista if thats any help? Any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks.
02-26-2010 10:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Live Communications Platform Has Stopped Working?
When posting on support forums, please search before you post, as other people may have experienced the same problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Please read and use the official fix:

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...8B853F!15941.entry

-SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......
Windows Live Messenger - wlcomm.exe error
Can't Sign into Windows Live messenger
Windows Live Communications Platform has stopped working !
wlcomm.exe error
wlcomm.exe
etc. ...
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
02-27-2010 05:17 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
nanakara

– / Female / Flag
Hi James.. I can feel you!! I've been having the same problem with my messenger since i updated it to version 14 (2009)..
So i could sing in but after a few sec i'd get the "stopped working" message.. For weeks i was trying to find out something about it, with no luck though..
I tried to mail the Windows Live Messenger Technical Support (if you don't trust my reply or other responses, you should do it too by going to http://support.live.com ) and they send me an email with several things that i should give a try..
So don't worry mate! Every problem has a solution!!
Here is what worked for me:
1. Go to C/ Program Files/ Windows Live and enter the "Contacts" file.
2. Delete the wldlog.dll file.
3. Then right-click the wlcomm file, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab and under Display settings, put a checkmark for Disable visual themes.
After those steps you'll open your messenger and you won't have the problem any more..
Please post here to tell me if everything went ok or if you need further help..
Greetingssss ;)
02-27-2010 12:48 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by nanakara
2. Delete the wldlog.dll file.
quote:
*sigh*

Travi (and others),

Renaming that dll will let you sign in, yes, but it will brake other things, mainly the syncronization of your contacts!!!. This will not only effect the proper workings of your contact list, but it also could effect your entry in your contacts' contact lists.

I know how frustrating it might be that you can't sign in, but, please, for the last time, do not rename or delete that DLL!!! It is not a proper fix! Instead follow the official fix (link provided several posts back in one of my posts), and if that does not work then contact support so MS can investigate this.

Again, renaming or removing that DLL IS NOT A PROPER FIX and will brake more things in the futur.

You're all making it way harder for yourselfs AND for MS to investigate this. You WILL have problems later on.

See CookieRevised's reply to fixing "Windows Live Communications Platform"
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
02-27-2010 03:32 PM
nanakara

– / Female / Flag
My dear Chris... Listen to me..
I got in touch with the OFFICIAL Technical Support of WLM and THEY prompt me to that solution.. And they were right because aaall this time since i made those 2 little changes everything's been working fine..
No problems with my contacts or communicating and adding people there.. No problems for others to add me in their contact's list..
In any case, what i suggested are NO DRASTIC MEASURES, since:
1. You can always restore the "wldlog.dll" from the recycle bin to it's original position, and
2. You can also uncheck the "Disable visual themes"...
But it won't be needed!..
So please tell me.
Specifically.. What do you mean by "will break more things in the future"?? *-) I really need you to explain that!!
P.S: James give it a try or go to  http://support.live.com ..
Then share the results with us!!
Always Friendly...
02-28-2010 01:01 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I find it very extremely doubtfull that support will tell you to remove that DLL (without reinstalling anything)!!!

This post was edited on 02-28-2010 at 04:07 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-28-2010 04:06 PM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
I find it very extremely doubtfull that support will tell you to remove that DLL!!!
Indeed. Why would Microsoft put something in the package which is unnecessary or doesn't add any functionality at the first place?
02-28-2010 04:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
nanakara

– / Female / Flag
Hello my friends "CookieRevised" and "Felu"..
First of all thanks for replying so we can discuss this matter a little bit.. The solution above really came from the Technical Support of WLM -i have no reason to lie about it, i only mean well and want to help others since it demonstrably solved the problem- so i post the exact extract from their email:

"Delete WLDLOG.dll and disable themes:

1. Click Start (Windows Logo Pearl Button). Type C:\ and press ENTER.

2. On the window that will open, open the Program files folder.

3. Open the folder Windows Live.

4. Open the folder Contacts.

5. Delete the wldlog.dll file.

6. Next right-click the wlcomm file, click Properties.

7. Click the Compatibility tab.

8. Under Display settings, put a checkmark for Disable visual themes.

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, we would request you to collect the following logs and email it to us back at the earliest.
We will be waiting for your response so we can give you further troubleshooting steps if necessary.  We understand the importance of you getting in touch with your contacts, so should the need arise for you to use Windows Live Messenger to get in touch with them, you may do so temporarily by going to http://webim.sg.msn.com while we continue to troubleshoot your concern.  Rest assured that we will be here to assist you.

Thank you again for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support.
Have a nice day.
Regards,
Windows Live Messenger Technical Support
"

As i wrote before they suggested several things that i should try. I tried the least invasive way to solve this.. Nothing went wrong ever since..
Maybe there's some kind of conflict because of the updates for WLM (version 14) and/or the updates for Vista. It's definitely weird though..

This post was edited on 03-01-2010 at 11:55 AM by nanakara.
03-01-2010 11:53 AM
LeighPing

I posted my solution, which took me a while to work out, & has tested fine here > Trubritar forums
03-29-2010 07:28 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: