What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
[split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead
Author: Message:
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead
I think it should say that Plus! is going to do and ask the user. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of changes or proper updates to Plus! in a long time. Maybe it's just me..
04-07-2010 02:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
xsever

@ djdannyp

I have spoken to developers on the IRC Chat and they told me the compatibility mode trick stopped working because of the newest version of Plus!  They implement something that stopped the app from running in the tray.

Therefore, Windows 7 has nothing to do with how the trick stopped working.

04-07-2010 10:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
(PS, they aren't the developers, they are just helpers like you'll find here on this forum ;))

This post was edited on 04-07-2010 at 10:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-07-2010 10:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Windows 7 is the reason for needing the "trick" though.  It's something that shouldn't be used, either with Messenger itself, or with Messenger + Messenger Plus! Live.

The program functions correctly without compatibility mode, therefore using compatibility mode unnecessarily will cause problems, such as those you have experienced.

It is 100% Windows 7 that stops Windows Live Messenger appearing in the system tray, it's nothing to do with Messenger Plus! Live, it's just the intended behaviour of WLM on Windows 7
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5216 days, 20 hours, 32 minutes, 34 seconds ago
04-07-2010 11:07 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(PS, they aren't the developers, they are just helpers like you'll find here on this forum ;))
Some of them are developers, just not for Plus!/WLM actually.

As some of you may know developers are someone of develops a products or piece of software. Anyone can be a developer as long as you are developing something.

So really, some of them are ;) (i was just correcting you)
04-08-2010 12:08 AM
xsever

RE: RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

It is 100% Windows 7 that stops Windows Live Messenger appearing in the system tray, it's nothing to do with Messenger Plus! Live, it's just the intended behaviour of WLM on Windows 7

There is something you are absolutely not understanding. Let me help you here.

The "hack" was working 100% on Windows 7 until a recent update of Plus!  When that update was installed, the "hack" stopped working. Nothing changed with Windows 7.

As I said before, that Plus! update stopped the "compatibility hack" from continuing to function. The person I spoke to said they might bring the feature back with an option to either enable it or disable it.

Is this clear enough?

Thanks,
04-08-2010 12:33 AM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
All Plus! did was reset the compatibility settings. This means currently whenever you update Plus! these settings are reset and will have to be set again.

Plus! doesn't remove the feature to run Windows Live Messenger in compatibility mode, it just removes that setting that you can put back again.

The reason Plus! does this is because compatibility mode has been know to cause some problems with Plus!
04-08-2010 12:47 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by xsever
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

There is something you are absolutely not understanding. Let me help you here.

The "hack" was working 100% on Windows 7 until a recent update of Plus!  When that update was installed, the "hack" stopped working. Nothing changed with Windows 7.

As I said before, that Plus! update stopped the "compatibility hack" from continuing to function. The person I spoke to said they might bring the feature back with an option to either enable it or disable it.

Is this clear enough?

Thanks,

I understand it perfectly, please don't try to patronise me.

YOU don't seem to be understanding that the "hack" is only required because of the way that Windows Live Messenger works on Windows 7.  I am fully aware that installing the most recent versions of Messenger Plus! Live resets the compatibility mode settings of Messenger.

This is done because Messenger is not designed to run in compatibility mode and it can cause problems if you do.  Compatibility mode is meant largely for programs that don't function correctly under a new operating system.  This is NOT the case for WLM in Windows 7, as what you are determined to be not working correctly is infact intended behaviour.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5216 days, 20 hours, 32 minutes, 34 seconds ago
04-08-2010 01:00 AM
xsever

RE: RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead
I clearly understand what compatibility mode does. I am not a simple noob. I know my stuff.

What I am not understanding is when you say "This is done because Messenger is not designed to run in compatibility mode and it can cause problems if you do"

When I was using compatibility mode, it was not causing me ANY problems at all! What are these problems specifically? Could you please tell me so I understand what you are saying?

Thanks./

This post was edited on 04-08-2010 at 01:22 AM by xsever.
04-08-2010 01:22 AM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
I agree with you xserver. It never causes stuff for me, but can for some people, there for the risk is healed.

It caused problems with tabbed chats, windows always flashing, frozen conversations etc..
04-08-2010 02:07 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: