What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Looking into buying a new laptop...

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Looking into buying a new laptop...
Author: Message:
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Looking into buying a new laptop...
My brothers 17Inch Screen is excellent for the likes of films or editing. However, try carrying it around school/work all day...
04-01-2010 01:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
It depends what you are really going for. 17" is a mobile desktop replacement more than a laptop, meaning it's not really supposed to move, but if the need happens, it is possible.

My personal recommendation is to get a 15" screen for 3 reasons:
1- a 17", if used as a primary screen is a little small
2- 15" will get you a cheaper computer for the same specs
3- batteries will usually not last on such a big screen machine

And then add a 22" or 24" monitor as a dual screen at home, so if you're not moving it a lot, you got a good wide screen to use, and when you do need to move it, you got a standard sized/weight laptop that's easy to carry.

On a side note, I was checking Lenovo.ca right now, and they have huge sales on t410 and t510 (one if their highest series laptop that include a roll-cage, spill-proof keyboard, hard drive airbag protection, really worth it). If you end up using the laptop as a desktop replacement and think a dual monitor is a good idea, i highly recommend that series to you; it's what I got, and by experience in both consumer and professional products (from HP G60 to HP Elitebooks, I can tell you it's the best built  machine I've seen to this day).

edit1 : I'll add a picture of two of my workstation at home, will get you an idea.

edit2 : the pics

full workstation
[Image: 81902181.th.jpg]
On the left is my media desktop pc, on the right my work laptop.

the dual screen with laptop I was talking to you about, added with a 24" samsung P2310.
[Image: 42980784.th.jpg]

I got the advanced minidock that comes with an extra charger, so when i come home i just plug it in, charges and goes to full desktop automatically, when i leave i press the eject button and i'm running on my laptop. I can even add an extra screen (for a total of 3) by VGA. Of course, adding a mouse and a keyboard makes you even more comfortable.
[Image: 76929686.th.jpg]

----

for the record, if you do chose to go with a T series, you also have switchable graphics, so you have the motherboard integrated Intel graphic card, and the more powerful one (the new T series come with a nvidia GPU). So if you want more battery life, you run the intel one since it takes less energy, when you want to play or are at home on multiple screen, you run the Nvidia one. My battery (9 cell) goes up to 10 hours with the intel one when i am on the road.

This post was edited on 04-01-2010 at 02:02 PM by albert.
04-01-2010 01:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user35870
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by wj
My 13" Macbook Pro (the current unibody model) that I've had for about a year and change now still holds about 4 to 5 hours of battery life and despite my pretty solid use of it both around home and at work (out and about doing IT consulting), it still looks like new. It's amazing how well it works. It also runs Windows 7 like a champ.

Another vote for the MacBook Pro.

This post was edited on 04-01-2010 at 04:00 PM by user35870.
04-01-2010 03:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
Using a Dell Studio 15 right now, quite satisfied.

Intel i7
4GB DDR3
512MB dedicated graphics
320GBs HD
Wireless N
HDMI port

Price is pretty good, I got it for $1099CAD for Boxing Day, and it's still the cheapest I can find.

Dell's laptops are quite competitive nonetheless
quote:
Originally posted by albert
2- 15" will get you a cheaper computer for the same specs
Agreed, and arguably the most common. Plus, 17" is most likely too big to travel. My 15.6" (I think) fits perfectly in all my bags.

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
As long as you don't get Acer. There build quality is crap, and there warranty service is even worse.

Yup. It's pretty bad...
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6559 days, 12 hours, 24 minutes, 8 seconds ago.

04-02-2010 04:08 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: