What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Send SMS text on contact sign in

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Send SMS text on contact sign in
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Send SMS text on contact sign in
quote:
Originally posted by cRuNcHeR
I think i understand what you're both saying but i've even sent SMS messages to myself and people in Canada and they read them free of charge. Just a small advert on the text, E.g:

Admin@Text4free.net <message here> sent from text4free

Or something similar atleast.
I'm really in dissbelief of what you say about the costs and having to reply to view the message so I'll tell you step by step how i would send a message from text4free;

As I said it depends on the provider.

As a matter of fact, Text4Free even clearly states it on their site that they use other services and don't send the SMS themselfs and that the recipient might need to pay (a rediculus amount) for the SMS depending on the provider.

quote:
Originally posted by cRuNcHeR
Again i'll mention; The top few listings for the 'Provider' being 'Any <country> Provider' are the only ones that don't work for me (maybe thats what you guys are talking about?). I make sure i know the contacts real provider and select it individually.
There is no difference between the two for some of them. The 'Any <country> Provider' and the individual listings use the exact same services (and thus the exact same conditions in terms of payment, ads, whatever) for some countries.

However, the individual listing sometimes do use other services especially pointed towards that individual provider (sometimes using the provider's own online service). That is the difference, if there is any...

Again, there is no point in stating that the 'Any <country> Provider' "fail pretty bad" since everything related to SMS depends on the provider of the phone number. For some providers the individual listings "fail pretty bad", for others its the 'Any <country> Provider' listings. There is no right or wrong and no always 100% working one. And so there is no better or worse online SMS service and Text4Free is no better than any of the other 1001 online SMS services.

--------

All these things can be find out if you read the terms and usage and do some of your own digging into what exact services Text4Free uses and if you look at the pages of those other services, etc... You need to look at the sources of the pages to find out of those services work and if they use other online services, etc...

--------

The bottom line is that every online SMS service works roughly in the same way. There is no 'magic' or 'ultimate' service which works 100% all the time for everybody. It might work for you, but it might fail for 90% of the other people.

As such, it is not very usefull to start discussing how individual services work, especially not in a thread which was actually about how you can send an SMS to yourself to notify you if someone came online or not.

If you wish to discuss individual services it can be better done in the subforum TechTalk.

And as such, making a public script for this which works 100% all the time is going to be very difficult if not impossible. Proof is all over the place, each and every such script works for some, but doesn't for others, and/or limited to only a few providers, and/or might suffer from other disadvantages (depending on the phone number providers you're goint to use it for*).

;)

* For example: since I don't wanna pay €2 just to read a test SMS, the services used by Text4Free to send a SMS to my phone number do not allow any other SMS to be send to my phone; I first need to read/reply to the test SMS I've send before, before another SMS can be send to my phone from that service, and since I don't wanna pay €2, nobody will be able to send me any SMS using Text4Free....

* And something else very important: there is no (!) way to determine the provider by simply looking at the phone number! Because in many countries you can change providers but keeping your phone number. And since you must know the provider for most (free) online SMS services, you either need to ask your contact what provider he uses, or you must use an online SMS service where you don't need to provide the provider (and those services, the proper ones, are never free).

This post was edited on 08-19-2009 at 03:55 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-19-2009 03:18 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cRuNcHeR

30 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Send SMS text on contact sign in
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

* And something else very important: there is no (!) way to determine the provider by simply looking at the phone number! Because in many countries you can change providers but keeping your phone number. And since you must know the provider for most (free) online SMS services, you either need to ask your contact what provider he uses, or you must use an online SMS service where you don't need to provide the provider (and those services, the proper ones, are never free).

Yeah i know that, i just ask the contact when i receive their number, Anyway thanks for clearing it up a li'l bit more..

Sorry for hijacking this thread, The original idea is cool might i add.
[Image: SigSigSig.jpg]
08-19-2009 04:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ProtoZoa

O.P. RE: Send SMS text on contact sign in
So I've been working on a GUI for this project after setting it down for a couple of months. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to make a GUI for it.

I am using this to call my new window named 'About'
code:
MsgPlus.CreateWnd("About.xml", "About");
I am wondering if there is an easy way to edit my About.xml file. One thing I would like to do in the Options area is to have a section grayed out until a person has check marked a box.
05-24-2010 12:49 AM
whiz

– / – / Flag
In terms of editing XML files, there isn't a built-in editor in the Plus! script editor, so I recommend Notepad++.

Also, you can enable and disable controls based on whether a checkbox is ticked like this:
Javascript code:
Interop.Call("user32", "EnableWindow", /* window */.GetControlHandle(/* control ID */), /* boolean */);

For example, to enable a button called "BtnOk" when a checkbox called "ChkConfirm" is ticked:
Javascript code:
function OnAboutEvent_CtrlClicked(PlusWnd, ControlId)
{
    Interop.Call("user32", "EnableWindow", PlusWnd.GetControlHandle("BtnOk"), PlusWnd.Button_IsChecked("ChkConfirm"));
}

06-01-2010 10:34 AM
ProtoZoa

O.P. RE: Send SMS text on contact sign in
quote:
Originally posted by whiz
In terms of editing XML files, there isn't a built-in editor in the Plus! script editor, so I recommend Notepad++.

Also, you can enable and disable controls based on whether a checkbox is ticked like this:
Javascript code:
Interop.Call("user32", "EnableWindow", /* window */.GetControlHandle(/* control ID */), /* boolean */);

For example, to enable a button called "BtnOk" when a checkbox called "ChkConfirm" is ticked:
Javascript code:
function OnAboutEvent_CtrlClicked(PlusWnd, ControlId)
{
    Interop.Call("user32", "EnableWindow", PlusWnd.GetControlHandle("BtnOk"), PlusWnd.Button_IsChecked("ChkConfirm"));
}

Cool, thanks for the help. I'll have to mess around with it in the next few days.

Whats the best way to handle user passwords? Encrypted in registry?
06-03-2010 07:16 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ProtoZoa
Whats the best way to handle user passwords? Encrypted in registry?
Yes, and saved under the user's 'User ID' under the script's settings path.

The user ID is the number you get with Messenger.MyUserId.

The registry path would therefore be:
MsgPlus.ScriptRegPath + Messenger.MyUserId + "\\pwd"
giving:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Scripts\<YourScriptName>\<1234567890>
where <1234567890> is that User ID and pwd the name of the key value.

Although storing the pwds encrypted with scripts isn't fool proof (one can always dive into the script source and find out the encryption algorithm) it is way better than storing it in plain text. As such, the encryption doesn't need to be very strong though, just strong enough so that one can't derive/guess the plain password from the encrypted text. You could use the Windows Cryptographic APIs for that, but you could also make your own encryption scheme for example (using XOR calculations, ROT, and other stuff like that)

This post was edited on 06-03-2010 at 02:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-03-2010 02:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: