What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » msn doesnt go to try more

msn doesnt go to try more
Author: Message:
ballot

O.P. msn doesnt go to try more
hi i got newest version of Messenger Plus i use win 7 64 bit and it doesnt go to tray how can i disable this function (N)
05-16-2010 11:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: msn doesnt go to try more
You're confusing Windows Live Messenger with the Messenger Plus! Live add-on. The issue you're having will happen with or without Plus!

In Windows 7, Windows Live Messenger does not go to the system tray.

When WLM 2010 is released, there will be features which are better suited for the Windows 7 taskbar.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-16-2010 11:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
On the short-cut to WLM, right click on it and select 'Properties'.

Once the box is open, go on the Compatibility tab and check the box to run WLM under Windows Vista SP2.

Restart WLM. (please note everytime you update Plus! you will need to re-do this step.)
05-16-2010 11:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Krissy, we've discussed this many times, you shouldn't be recommending the "compatibility hack" to users. Patchou has said himself that it causes problems and we've experienced users on the forum who have had problems caused by this. Whether or not you experience problems yourself is not relevant. Users need to get used to WLM being on the taskbar because it is going to be like that in the future and won't be returning to the system tray any time soon. If users don't wish to use the new features with the Windows 7 taskbar, they shouldn't be using Windows 7 in the first place and should go back to using XP.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-17-2010 12:05 AM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
He still asked how to do it, so I told him. I myself haven't had any problems with it so I have no reason saying it's as bad as people say.
05-17-2010 12:35 AM
ballot

O.P. RE: msn doesnt go to try more
i will try and report thank you all :)
but all people should re-compile their programs for x64 Compatibility and win7 ofc people who doesnt that always lose we dont want to you port a new version for win 98,its win 7 xD
05-18-2010 11:59 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ballot
but all people should re-compile their programs for x64 Compatibility and win7
Your issue is not caused by any incompatibility with 64bit or windows 7. Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! both work perfectly fine on 64bit Windows 7 systems.

Minimizing application to the taskbar instead of the tray is by design in Windows 7. It takes a bit of getting used to.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-18-2010 01:19 PM
buggy2

You can make it go to the tray the same way used to make the standard MSN go to the tray:
1. Right click the MSN shortcut you are using,
2. Go to the compatibility tab,
3. Select "Vista with Service Pack 2" and go
06-12-2010 08:43 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by buggy2
You can make it go to the tray the same way used to make the standard MSN go to the tray:
1. Right click the MSN shortcut you are using,
2. Go to the compatibility tab,
3. Select "Vista with Service Pack 2" and go
Thank you for your input, but please do NOT use the compatibility hack and try to read the entire thread before posting:

Chris4's reply to msn doesnt go to try more
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
you shouldn't be recommending the "compatibility hack" to users. Patchou has said himself that it causes problems and we've experienced users on the forum who have had problems caused by this. Whether or not you experience problems yourself is not relevant. Users need to get used to WLM being on the taskbar because it is going to be like that in the future and won't be returning to the system tray any time soon. If users don't wish to use the new features with the Windows 7 taskbar, they shouldn't be using Windows 7 in the first place and should go back to using XP.

Also note that those problems caused by setting the compatibility might not be visible at first (or ever), but that doesn't mean that under the hood they aren't there!
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-12-2010 09:10 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: