What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Not Compatible

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Not Compatible
Author: Message:
ThaJsta

O.P. Not Compatible
I am blind, and use the JAWS For Windows screen reader. I have tried to use the latest Windows Live version, but I can not read received messages for some reason and there is just too much to sort through. Because of this, I use Windows Live Messenger version 8.5.1302.1018, and force the main executable in C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger to run in compatibility mode with Windows 2000 even though I use XP service pack 3. I do this because it forces the installation of the 2009 installer and will not let me sign in if I do not update Messenger.

I have Messenger Plus! Live version 4.85.386 installed, but when I sign in to Windows Live it is as if it is not installed at all. When I tried the 2009 version of Windows Live, the add-on worked phenomenally, but when I revertted to the latest build of version 8.5 it is as if nothing is there.

I thought this was compatible with 8.0 to the latest version? I think somebody needs to tell me how to make the latest Plus! version compatible with the latest build of 8.5 of Windows Live, because as a blind person it seriously helped me out and I would like to have it back. It was nice whilst it lasted, but even Plus! was not able to assist me with reading received messages like I am able to with Windows Live 8.5.1302.1018.

This post was edited on 08-15-2010 at 12:08 AM by ThaJsta.
CLICK HERE for some more dope when you have run out.
08-15-2010 12:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Not Compatible
If you run Windows Live Messenger in compatibility mode Messenger Plus! Live will not correctly work.
08-15-2010 12:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ThaJsta

O.P. RE: Not Compatible
How can I run 8.5 not in compatibility mode then? It will practically force the installer to update, but if I run it in that mode Messenger Plus! Live will not work. What do I do now?
08-15-2010 12:22 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ThaJsta
How can I run 8.5 not in compatibility mode then?
You can't, Messenger 8.5 was blocked by Microsoft for security reasons.
[Image: Empty.png]
08-15-2010 01:56 AM
ThaJsta

So I am damned either way? If so, that seriously sucks and that also means I can not use this wonderful add-on.
08-15-2010 02:03 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
If your problem is with not being able to read-aloud the received text, and only that, try using this script: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=999234

[Remember to use the command /read to start reading, and /dontread to stop reading, it will use Windows' configured voice.]

.plsc File Attachment: Message Narrator.plsc (1.08 KB)
This file has been downloaded 128 time(s).

This post was edited on 08-15-2010 at 02:27 AM by blessedguy.
08-15-2010 02:25 AM
ThaJsta

Actually, I use the UP and DOWN arrow keys for JAWS to read each line of text. I never read things out loud at once, but instead go by line just to make sure I read critically with everything. I use the ETI-Eloquence synthesiser from Nuance Communications. Will I be able to configure this script to use that?
08-15-2010 02:32 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Actually, I use the UP and DOWN arrow keys for JAWS to read each line of text. I never read things out loud at once, but instead go by line just to make sure I read critically with everything. I use the ETI-Eloquence synthesiser from Nuance Communications. Will I be able to configure this script to use that?
I haven't coded it myself, but it may be possible. [Matty and matti?]. Also, if the synthesizer is configured as the default voice, you can check it in the control panel, voice settings, you will be able to use it as the voice.

Good luck :)
08-15-2010 03:07 PM
ThaJsta

Do you know where that thing is to read the received messages? I think if you press SHIFT+TAB when you're positioned at the typing field, it goes to the thing where the received text shows up at. In 8.5, I can read that, but for some reason JAWS does not read the 2009 version correctly.

Do you know if it is possible for the developer to make it compatible with Windows 2000 again, just so I can use it with 8.5 in forced Windows 2000 compatibility? I do not care about any other systems, just 2000.
08-15-2010 03:14 PM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Do you know if it is possible for the developer to make it compatible with Windows 2000 again, just so I can use it with 8.5 in forced Windows 2000 compatibility?
The developer is a company called "Yuna Software", and they unfortunately can't =/ You can request Microsoft to fix it, though. http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=2
08-15-2010 03:56 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: