What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Email tray icon notification

Email tray icon notification
Author: Message:
Domsy

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Email tray icon notification
Hey everyone,

So I'm back to the dilemma of upgrading to 2009 or not. I almost did it (now it's bugging me to do so. Anyone know how to stop it bothering me?), but I luckily did a quick check of my StuffPlug features I really need. I thought I had solved it when I recreated the status icons in for the windows in the taskbar , but I noticed the really important feature I use constantly being "New mail icon in the system tray".

I totally did not realise this was actually a feature of StuffPlug! I'm really shocked. I thought it was just a general feature in WLM or Plus!. So now I'm needing this feature implemented too before I even think of upgrading.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a script that does this? I couldn't find one (strangely enough) and not sure where to look for scripting one myself. Guessing I'll need a lot of Interops, and I found something Cookie has done which should be some help! Just need some direction really for it to open the email inbox when it's double clicked, and how I'd adapt it as I think it's suited for hiding the actual WLM one, and not creating a brand new one by itself that can be interacted with.

Will appreciate any help! Thanks :)
04-03-2009 12:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Email tray icon notification
Can you not just right click the WLM icon > E-mail inbox?

Another option would be finding a program unrelated to Messenger which has that feature, using POP3.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
04-04-2009 01:59 AM
Domsy

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Email tray icon notification
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Can you not just right click the WLM icon > E-mail inbox?

Another option would be finding a program unrelated to Messenger which has that feature, using POP3.
The point isn't for ease of use of getting to the inbox, it's for notifying when you have email. I don't constantly look at the contact list to know when I have email, and I often miss the alerts.

I was looking through the documentation and I think my problem is actually going to be detecting email and not actually making the icon. Is there a way to do it? I don't see any events for emails being received or counting how many are in the inbox.

Thanks.
04-08-2009 12:19 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
I think you should try out my second point, that's what you want.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
04-10-2009 07:42 AM
Dexter_prog

– / Male / –
I'm looking for something similar to this or at least a way to have msg plus repeat the unread email notification every certain amount of time until I check my emails. Any ideas?
06-29-2011 12:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
As already said, the there are no methods to detect a new email aside from protocol sniffing. The only method we have to do that is buggy in regards to to it sometimes causing problems with the software or not working for some people at all
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
06-29-2011 01:11 PM
Dexter_prog

– / Male / –
but what about repeating msg plus' email notification until the user checks the email?
06-29-2011 01:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dexter_prog
but what about repeating msg plus' email notification until the user checks the email?
What about using a dedicated small tool for checking your unread email amount? In that way you have more options and configurability and it wouldn't be dependent on you being logged into Messenger or not.

---

Plus! reads the current unread email amount and compares it to the previous unread email amount. If it is higher it notifies the user of new unread email. If it is the same or less, it doesn't notify you. Thus, in order to do what you want, Plus! shouldn't compare the current value with the previous value, but should always report the current amount without comparing it to the previous amount (which in its turn can be annoying for others though). There are no scripting capabilities available in Plus! in regards to POP3-accounts.

This post was edited on 06-29-2011 at 02:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-29-2011 02:51 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: