What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » USB backports -> front accessible hub?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
USB backports -> front accessible hub?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: USB backports -> front accessible hub?
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I could do the hillbilly solution but I wanted it enclosed!
hillbilly? hillbilly? Oi!! :p
If you use simple USB extension cable cables with molded connectors, they are already enclosed no?
[Image: elelctronica-lrg-KD1lOije5BNr.jpg]left = female / right = male

So glue the female connectors on top of eachother with very strong glue and you have a block. A big shrink tube around that and you'll have a nice looking (and very solid) 'encloser' ;)

Cut the other (male) connectors of (or get a cable with only one molded female connector). After that put all the cables coming from your 'block' together, shove another shrinking tube around that to make it into one cable, solder the male connectors on, et voila...

PS: Can I order two of such sets with 4 connectors from you? :D

This post was edited on 10-10-2010 at 01:41 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-10-2010 01:25 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: USB backports -> front accessible hub?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If you use simple USB extension cable cables with molded connectors, they are already enclosed no?
Enclosed inside a small box (in addition to the actual enclosure of the USB :p) (see my audio switch links in the first post). The reason I mentioned hub is because USB ports are enclosed inside a structure!

quote:
So glue the female connectors on top of eachother with very strong glue and you have a block. A big shrink tube around that and you'll have a nice looking (and very solid) 'encloser'
I guesssssss, I will consider this :p

quote:
PS: Can I order two of such sets with 4 connectors from you?
I will get back to you when I get into wholesale (a).
quote:
hillbilly? hillbilly? Oi!!
(l)
10-10-2010 01:37 AM
Adeptus

There apparently are USB Quickport inserts.  All you would do with these is assemble them with M-M USB cables and a Quickport box or wall plate. The boxes and plates come with 1, 2, 4 and 6 ports.  You can also get various other types of inserts and blanks. 

This is the closest I think you will get to a "pre-built" solution for this, the only downside being it's not very cheap.

10-10-2010 07:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: USB backports -> front accessible hub?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
There apparently are USB Quickport inserts.  All you would do with these is assemble them with M-M USB cables and a Quickport box or wall plate. The boxes and plates come with 1, 2, 4 and 6 ports.  You can also get various other types of inserts and blanks. 

This is the closest I think you will get to a "pre-built" solution for this, the only downside being it's not very cheap.

AAAAAHHH. That's exactly what I want. As you said however, the price is too high for the purpose.

I will build it myself and it will most likely come up to the price of one USB Quickport insert.

Thanks Cookie, Adeptus and MenthiX :cheesy:
10-10-2010 12:45 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
Just get a hub, and wire it up so it doesn't split :P

I'm sure if you open it and take pics cookie can tell you what to do :P

This post was edited on 10-10-2010 at 05:19 PM by Chrissy.
10-10-2010 05:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
What about this: http://www.usbnow.co.uk/Hubs-Internal_USB_Hubs/c1.../product_info.html
Fits both 3.5" and 5.25" slots (adapter included).
10-10-2010 05:29 PM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I will build it myself and it will most likely come up to the price of one USB Quickport insert.
Yeah.  I also looked at one other thing I knew existed that you might like -- furniture grommets with USB ports.  That's even more slick if you don't mind drilling your desk :p  Unfortunately, those cost more than a typical home office desk on average.

I'm with you in that I trust connecting directly to the motherboard ports more than any hub, but in this case probably would just get a hub.  The tiny one I bought ~4 years ago has worked very well, although I avoid using it for external hard drives (no specific reason, just not taking chances with my data).
10-10-2010 06:00 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Just get a hub, and wire it up so it doesn't split :P

I'm sure if you open it and take pics cookie can tell you what to do :P
In that case I might as well buy a hub, remove all the insides and just replace with my own ports, as doing it that way would require cutting wires and replacing ends (male to female).
quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
What about this: http://www.usbnow.co.uk/Hubs-Internal_USB_Hubs/c1.../product_info.html
Fits both 3.5" and 5.25" slots (adapter included).
Defeats the purpose. Even if it's powered by a molex, the port is split from 1:4. I want 1:1 (or whatever the motherboard splits my ports into, as in no further splitting).
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Yeah.  I also looked at one other thing I knew existed that you might like -- furniture grommets with USB ports.  That's even more slick if you don't mind drilling your desk :p  Unfortunately, those cost more than a typical home office desk on average.
This desk isn't worth that kind of money, and I wouldn't want to do that incase I ever wanted to switch up the layout :zippy:

This post was edited on 10-10-2010 at 06:35 PM by prashker.
10-10-2010 06:32 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
I just have a 10' usb male to female cord hot glued to my desk. However I wouldn't suggest cheap cables that long since sometimes I can't sync my iPod properly off of it. Hot glue is my favorite thing ever.
10-11-2010 02:42 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
I just have a 10' usb male to female cord hot glued to my desk. However I wouldn't suggest cheap cables that long since sometimes I can't sync my iPod properly off of it. Hot glue is my favorite thing ever.
I also have one of that length, works perfectly though when I plug my LX-3000 into it :p.
10-13-2010 06:55 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: