What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN will not open

Pages: (6): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
MSN will not open
Author: Message:
freakystely

RE: MSN will not open
I have the same problem, however I'm faced with error 78. Might someone be able to post a solution for my route?
11-21-2010 04:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
BandAid3030

Freakystely, you need to provide more information than simply error 78.

Despite the misleading error message of Side by Side, your event 78 is different from event 33.

Specifically, what conflict are you seeing in the Event Viewer?

Have you tried uninstalling your VC++ 2008 redistributables and then reinstalling them?
11-21-2010 10:52 PM
freakystely

RE: RE: MSN will not open
quote:
Originally posted by freakystely
I have the same problem, however I'm faced with error 78. Might someone be able to post a solution for my route?

\Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest.

That's the information that it gives me when I check my event viewer
11-22-2010 12:26 PM
BandAid3030

Freakystely, have you tried the fix above?

If so, what Visual Basic C++ Redistributables do you have?

Here's my suggestion (this has worked for another user on these forums):
1.) Uninstall ALL of your Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Redistributables.
2.) Uninstall the entire Windows Live Essentials Package, then Restart.
3.) Reinstall Windows Live Messenger (Try running it to see if it works).
4.) Reinstall Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Redistributable 2008 and 2008 (SP1)

Hopefully that helps.

If it doesn't, please let me know and we'll suss out a new approach or any flaws in this one.

Remember to always install as an administrator.
11-22-2010 09:00 PM
fresh00

RE: RE: MSN will not open
quote:
Originally posted by BandAid3030
Freakystely, have you tried the fix above?

If so, what Visual Basic C++ Redistributables do you have?

Here's my suggestion (this has worked for another user on these forums):
1.) Uninstall ALL of your Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Redistributables.
2.) Uninstall the entire Windows Live Essentials Package, then Restart.
3.) Reinstall Windows Live Messenger (Try running it to see if it works).
4.) Reinstall Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Redistributable 2008 and 2008 (SP1)

Hopefully that helps.

If it doesn't, please let me know and we'll suss out a new approach or any flaws in this one.

Remember to always install as an administrator.

I had the same problem and just did as was instructed and now it works. Just a question though do I need  that Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Redistributable 2008 and 2008 (SP1). I don't know if the same problem will happen if I download that it again
11-24-2010 12:44 AM
BandAid3030

Hi, fresh00.

Those redistributables are required for any program that was created using them.

The problem here was most likely that something updated one of the manifests or DLLs in the winsxs folder, resulting in the side by side error received.

The uninstall and reinstall process simply rebooted the linkage used in the winsxs manifests and DLLs.

That's as simple as I can make it, anyway.

At any rate, you do need these redistributables and they shouldn't pose you any further problem. However, if they do, just repeat the solution here or come back looking for help.

Cheers.

-BA
11-24-2010 02:43 AM
mathguy

BA,

I am having the same problem, quite suddenly actually and I tried your solution but it did not work for me.  I am a developer and have both VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed and have to have them both installed.  I believe that by using VS 2008 yesterday for the first time in the past 10 days or so this problem started.  Is there a potential conflict by having both the 2005 and 2008 distributables installed at the same time?  If so, why is this suddenly a problem?  I've had both dev environments installed for months (years?) with no issue before.  Ideas?
11-24-2010 04:18 PM
BandAid3030

Hi, Mathguy.

**To start with, I should make it clear that I'm not a developed or programmer. I have a smattering of introductory C++, but for all intents and purposes I'm applying my elementary knowledge of Microsoft's SxS in trying to solve these problems.**

I had both 2005 and 2008 Redistributables installed as well.

To my knowledge, the 2005 Redistributables don't write to the same DLLs that the 2008 redistributables do (ie. the VC90 folders under Winsxs), so I don't anticipate that a true conflict exists.

However, after numerous attempts to solve these problems myself, I decided to attempt a "tabula rasa" approach with the DLLs and just delete all of the Redistributables and Windows Live Essentials. That worked for me and appears to have worked for most others.

If you've already attempted this, I would suggest uninstalling VS 2005 and 2008 as well so that you can rebuild the DLL cache by reinstalling with the hope that the manifest for WLM will identify the correct side by side configuration.

These errors seem to be almost spontaneous in nature. I can't determine the origins of mine, and, to the best of my knowledge, those that I've helped with this had it spontaneously occur to them as it did to me. Perhaps an update was released on through WLE that created an issue in the WLM manifest?

Let me know if this helped.

-BA

This post was edited on 11-24-2010 at 04:56 PM by BandAid3030.
11-24-2010 04:55 PM
huggybear

Hello, i have a similair problem as the one posted at the top, the only difference is the error message i get in the event viewer, while theirs says Dependant Assembly etc... mine says this: (Eitherway i would rly like some help on how to solve this!)   
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
11-25-2010 09:32 PM
BandAid3030

Have you tried the fixes that are found in this thread, Huggybear?

You're being given Event 78.

Please take the time to read the thread and attempt the solutions posted to prevent duplication of solution steps.

Cheers.

-BA
11-25-2010 09:36 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: