What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Croatian translation

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Croatian translation
Author: Message:
Clam-

Ruins Of Chaos rox

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Croatian translation
Hello. I've talked to some of my friends and they are all wondering if Croatian language pack is available?

I've checked this thread:

Sticky: Alternative translations: Brazilian, Polish, Czech, Croatian, etc.
link: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=90692

And it's stated in thread topic that there's Croatian, but once I open it, I can't find it!

Does this mean that there's no Croatian translation for new version (the one released today)? If so, I'd be more than happy to help translating everything there needs to be translated, so if someone could tell me how I can help, or if there is actual Croatian translation pack already, where could I grab it?

Thanks in advance
02-09-2011 02:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Croatian translation
I don't think it is actively updated anymore and because of that removed from that thread. The last activity seemed to be in May 2009. See Croatian translation! FINISHED!.

You could try sending ag008 a private message to see if a more up-to-date file exists.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-09-2011 02:43 PM
Clam-

Ruins Of Chaos rox

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Croatian translation
I've checked his version and it's just... horrible. I don't understand how someone, who's English literally sucks and has no idea what he needs to do should be even allowed to post translations on this forum :/

I've checked some threads where I could download translation program and translate everything from the beginning, but it seems it's out-of-date? Is there, or will there be a new version of translator for new MsgPlus! 5?

Thank you for your time, Menthix.
02-09-2011 02:46 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Clam-
Is there, or will there be a new version of translator for new MsgPlus! 5?
Not sure, but I don't think so. You can just open the English and the Croatian languagefile next to each other in notepad and translate that way.

The translator software does have a nicer interface though.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-09-2011 02:54 PM
Clam-

Ruins Of Chaos rox

34 / Male / Flag
Well, person who was previously translating this to Croatian language actually doesn't even speak English, but he was using Google Translate, which is not doing a very good job at translating (I'm not saying here Google Translator sucks or something, it's awesome, but should never be used to make official translations).

I will read that thread regarding translation guidelines, but I still have two questions, if you or anybody else could answer me.

1) Could I use both English translation files, instead of that very bad Croatian one? It's confusing the hell out of me with weird expressions and phrases, lol.

2) Someone mentioned that it's not possible to see Croatian language included in the original setup file, due to not many Croats using Messenger. I have to completely disagree and protest, due to the following reasons:
- Estonia has it's own translator and they have population smaller for nearly 3 million
- I know country population means nothing, since there could be 95% of Estonians who are using MsgPlus! and only 10% Croats, but that's wrong again; I've got more than 700 Croatian friends on several Messenger accounts and those are only people who live near me; what I'm trying to say is that I can assure you that there are far far more Croats who are using Messanger & MsgPlus! (hell, on old MSN version every other friend of mine had colors in their names and all the silly scripts) than there are Estonians, and for that reason, I think it should be included in the original setup file, IF it would match the criteria to be added to that list

NB. I'm not here to argue with someone, be a racist, hurt anyone's feelings etc, but I'm just stating the facts, which I have far more, but I will not use them before I see if I'm capable of translating the whole MsgPlus! to Croatian and before I make thread for Croatian language

Furthermore, I see there hasn't been any activity since 2009. in other 'Croatian' thread, so will it be locked any time soon, so once I get on with translating, I could open a brand new one, with real translation & conversation going?

Regards,
Tomislav
02-09-2011 03:04 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
1) Could I use both English translation files, instead of that very bad Croatian one? It's confusing the hell out of me with weird expressions and phrases, lol.
Yes, if that current Croatian translation is very bad it would be easier to just copy the current Plus! 5.0 English language file and start translating that into proper Croatian.

As for getting your translation included into the official setup, that is always hard. I don't decide which languages do and don't get added, so I can't say much about it. I'd start out by making an unofficial Croation translation first, post it on the translation forum here, and get people to use it. When it gets popular and others can confirm the quality is good you have a chance of getting included in the official setup eventually, but nothing can be promised.

quote:
I see there hasn't been any activity since 2009. in other 'Croatian' thread, so will it be locked any time soon, so once I get on with translating, I could open a brand new one, with real translation & conversation going?
It probably won't be locked. But it is a good idea to start a new thread so you can always edit the first post of your own thread to link to the most recent translation. You could then simply post a message in the old thread saying you started your own Croatian translation because the old one was of very poor quality and inactive.

This post was edited on 02-09-2011 at 03:30 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-09-2011 03:16 PM
Clam-

Ruins Of Chaos rox

34 / Male / Flag
Sounds fair enough to me. Thank you for your input.

I'll start working on it and once I have something worth to show / or have possible issues with it, I'll start up a thread.

Although, I don't think many Croats use this forum, I could come up with some other solution, e.g. advertising this forum in order to get more Croatian fellas to join the board & this community.

Thank you once again for your input, it's greatly appreciated.
02-09-2011 03:22 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Croatian translation
quote:

I've checked some threads where I could download translation program and translate everything from the beginning, but it seems it's out-of-date? Is there, or will there be a new version of translator for new MsgPlus! 5?

What do you need a new version for? The old one still works for me. :)
If you do decide to use it, keep in mind that the English language file has comments over some sections. They may say, for instance, "The following strings must not exceed xx characters." These comments aren't shown in Choli's translator.

Have fun translating!
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
02-09-2011 03:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Clam-

Ruins Of Chaos rox

34 / Male / Flag
Well, I only saw a date when he released last version (in 2008.) so I was curious if his project/program is still alive. I've just seen it is :)

Also, I'll read comments carefully, I don't plan to have whole community after me because of a bad translation, haha.

Got some experience with translating TV Series, Movies and some MMORPG's. So let's see how far I can get with this project. Thank you all for your time :)
02-09-2011 03:36 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Hello. I've talked to some of my friends and they are all wondering if Croatian language pack is available?

I've checked this thread:

Sticky: Alternative translations: Brazilian, Polish, Czech, Croatian, etc.
link: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=90692

And it's stated in thread topic that there's Croatian, but once I open it, I can't find it!
Ps: that post you're quoting is more than half a year old and is about previous Plus! versions (even not the last previous one, but way before that). Check the date of the post... ;)

I guess it needs an update...

quote:
There doesn't need to be a new version since everything works perfectly. The Translator tool is independant of Plus! versions or language versions.

PS: in case this is your first translation for Plus!:
Do note that the Translator tool is just that: a tool. It should not be used as the only thing to make your translation in. It can be used to check for missing or redundant keys, and for the translation of some strings. But I very highly suggest you also use notepad or any other text editor if you want to translate from scratch. This allows you to put comments and notes in the file during the translation. It also helps in keeping a better overview of the relationship between certain keys, again something which is hard to do with the Translator tool. And as said before, there are important comments in the English file which need to be followed. These can't be seen with the Translator tool either.

Anyways, good luck with the translation ;)

This post was edited on 02-09-2011 at 04:26 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-09-2011 04:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: