What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » The toolbar installed even though i said no when installing

The toolbar installed even though i said no when installing
Author: Message:
Paranoid

O.P. The toolbar installed even though i said no when installing
Hi, the toolbar installed on firefox even though i dismarked it while installing Messenger Plus 5, now i don't know how to remove it, and i don't want it.
03-18-2011 02:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mynetx
Skinning Contest Winner

Microsoft insider

36 / Male / Flag
RE: The toolbar installed even though i said no when installing
Hello Paranoid,

Please click Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Now find Messenger Plus! 5 in the list, then click "Remove". A dialog pops up. Choose "Remove Sponsor". :)
mynetx - Microsoft, enhanced.

You have a problem or issue with Windows, Internet
Explorer or Office?
Send a tweet!
03-18-2011 06:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Paranoid
Hi, the toolbar installed on firefox even though i dismarked it while installing Messenger Plus 5, now i don't know how to remove it, and i don't want it.
I don't want to point fingers or anything, but it has never installed the sponsor when you do not agree to have it installed. This has never been an issue. I hate to say it but you may have unchecked a different checkbox then the one you thought you unchecked.

This post was edited on 03-18-2011 at 06:54 PM by matty.
03-18-2011 06:54 PM
Paranoid

O.P. RE: The toolbar installed even though i said no when installing
Well i'm pretty sure i said no, but  if not, it isn't a big deal, the question was how to remove it anyway.

Thanks for the help ~

Edit:

I went to the uninstall thing, the popup appeared, but it says that the sponsor isn't installed right now. . . .

This post was edited on 03-18-2011 at 09:30 PM by Paranoid.
03-18-2011 09:27 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
The uninstaller only removes the toolbar from internet explorer (unfortunately :(). You can uninstall the toolbar like any native Firefox add-on though: In firefox go to Tools > Add-ons > Select the toolbar > Uninstall.

quote:
Originally posted by mynetx
find Messenger Plus! 5 in the list, then click "Remove". A dialog pops up. Choose "Remove Sponsor".
That one is only for the old Circle Dev package. Conduit and Ask.com have their own uninstallers (but like I said above, the Conduit uninstaller still only uninstalls the IE toolbar).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-19-2011 02:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Axle Starr

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I don't want to point fingers or anything, but it has never installed the sponsor when you do not agree to have it installed. This has never been an issue. I hate to say it but you may have unchecked a different checkbox then the one you thought you unchecked.
That's probably not the case because the same thing happened to me and I know for a fact that I chose for it not to be installed (as I always do in such situations)
03-20-2011 08:08 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I have tested all known versions of Plus! and none of them install any sponsor package by themselfs. You explicitly need to check the checkbox if you want the sponsor to be installed.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-21-2011 03:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
Note that a typical mistake (so to speak) is not to uncheck all 3 checkboxes. Each checkbox has it's own purpose related to the sponsor, and i've found out that the first one is sometimes left untouched by people installing the software :P mostly because it's not aligned with the other ones so it's "hard to see" if you're rushing through the setup.

Also note that the first checkbox is the one that asks if you want to install the toolbar, if you uncheck that one all the checkboxes are unchecked aswell. The thing is that you may have unchecked the second and third checkboxes and left the first one checked (it even happened to me once and i've installed it a hundred times).

Long story short: The toolbar wont be installed if you don't agree to it, i'd suggest you to download the installer again and see for yourself what i've explained above.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
03-21-2011 05:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: