What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Suggestion about Plus!

Suggestion about Plus!
Author: Message:
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Suggestion about Plus!
I'm just thinking, would it be a good idea to have Plus! update the MyPlus! accounts of users with the version information of Plus, WLM and Windows?

It would make it quicker and easier than asking a user that posts to the forums. I know not everyone has an account linked to their Plus!, but it would be a good incentive to do so.

It could even generate a list of installed programs so we can quickly see compatibility issues.

I know it would take more space server side, but the benefits could potentially outweigh that.

I'm also aware it could be a breach of privacy, so we could make it opt-in or so only certain people (Devs/other staff) can see it?

Thoughts?
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-18-2011 01:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Suggestion about Plus!
Would that work?

I mean, what if their connection was broken the moment Plus! sends this info, and after that they install a newer/older version? What if they use version X on the laptop and version Y on their PC and version Z at work... What if...

The idea is nice in theory, but I'm not convinced it would solve that much in practice and if it would be accurate info. As such, you still would be asking the user what version etc he has. Even if it was just to confirm the data on MyPlus!. So, in the end, you would still need to ask him stuff and making extra posts...

PS: I consider the list of installed programs a bigger privacy issue than knowing the Plus!/WLM/Windows version though. And I'm not sure such a list should be generated automatically without the ability for the user to edit it first. Either way, the same concerns apply here too; how accurate would that be in cases where the user is on a different PC than the one he has troubles with?

This post was edited on 04-23-2011 at 05:24 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-18-2011 02:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
The moment I started reading your post I immediately thought that people would accuse Yuna of data mining. But your idea makes some sense and I like it however not everyone is going to have a MyPlus! account which you already covered.
03-18-2011 02:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by matty
The moment I started reading your post I immediately thought that people would accuse Yuna of data mining. But your idea makes some sense and I like it however not everyone is going to have a MyPlus! account which you already covered.
In the future, I thought the Forums will merge with the rest of site, and your forum account becomes your MyPlus! account?
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6547 days, 4 hours, 17 minutes, 49 seconds ago.

03-18-2011 03:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
Originally posted by matty
In the future, I thought the Forums will merge with the rest of site, and your forum account becomes your MyPlus! account?
That's the plan, but not all installations of Plus! will be linked to a myplus account, as one is not necessary unless the person wants to log their chats online.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
03-18-2011 07:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Agree with Cookie.

For privacy concerns it would have to be opt-in, meaning the majority of people we would still have to ask them to turn it on. With some clear steps which everyone understands we could also just ask them to post it manually. So for support purposes I wouldn't find it that much of a solution.

However, it is still an interesting idea. People who want it can show of which skins/scripts etc. the installed on their profile. But in any case it should be completely opt-in and only related to Plus! (showing WLM and Plus! version is fine, but no list of other installed apps).

This post was edited on 03-19-2011 at 02:02 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-19-2011 02:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: