What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » 16GB memory stick on XP...

16GB memory stick on XP...
Author: Message:
nimicitor

RE: RE: 16GB memory stick on XP...
As usual, complete and utter rubbish. Technology moves on and exFAT is superior and was brought in to replace FAT32 which doesn't even support files over 4GB which is why it is also known as FAT64 and why it isn't just 'an alternative'.
It being new was never my only argument for exFAT, there are were more in my last post and alot more I could have added.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

And as for Ex3, you missed the point I think. I know Linux wasn't mentionned anywhere, but this isn't about Linux but about other file systems than the build-in ones on XP. Ex3 was just given as yet another example of such an alternative filesystem, just like you already mentionned exFAT as another alternative (which isn't nativly supported on XP either). It is just the same thing for that matter.

I could have mentionned any other existing journaled filesystem made for any other existing OS for that matter. So it is as much mute as your given alternative, because they all require additional drivers on XP and they all don't bring much extra if he is never going to use the USB stick on anything else than a Windows system (incl XP) to begin with.

I think you missed the point on Ex3, nowhere in whiz's post did it say he uses Linux so there was no need to randomly and arrogantly rant about file systems that aren't made for Windows, you are wasting everybody's time by posting crap that isn't relivant. I hardly think installing one addon for XP is a problem if it gives your computer a better way to format USB drives.
exFAT can be used on other OS's, not just Windows, and was specifically built for flash drives, unlike NTFS which makes it the better option.
Formatting the drive as exFAT is whiz's best option. Test the drive out and post your results back. If it doesn't fix the problem I have plenty more methods that could help him.*

*Note I am here to help whiz, not (as usual) pompously starting meaningless arguments with people.
03-28-2011 05:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
16GB memory stick on XP... - by whiz on 03-27-2011 at 08:02 PM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by nimicitor on 03-28-2011 at 09:23 AM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by CookieRevised on 03-28-2011 at 01:54 PM
RE: RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by nimicitor on 03-28-2011 at 02:27 PM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by CookieRevised on 03-28-2011 at 02:38 PM
RE: RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by nimicitor on 03-28-2011 at 05:27 PM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by CookieRevised on 03-28-2011 at 06:21 PM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by whiz on 03-28-2011 at 06:26 PM