What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » 16GB memory stick on XP...

16GB memory stick on XP...
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP...
nimicitor, before apparently wanting to start a fight here by calling everything I said "the usual rubbish" and "arrogant", please read what I've said...

1) I replied to your argument of FAT32 being a few decades old, not about the rest of your arguments why he should try another file system. In fact, I said I do recognize that there are also other arguments for upgrading then just the age. So, before accusing me of whatever, first read what I posted:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
There may be other reasons why you don't want to use FAT32 though but age shouldn't be anything do with it.

2) As for the file size argument: I also recognized that it can be a reason, eventhough for what whiz want to use it for it shouldn't be that much of an issue:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
File size shouldn't be a factor either as that doesn't matter as long as the file size is smaller than 4GB. Which is unlikely, but granted not entirely impossible, seeing we're talking about using it on a USB stick.

3) Again, my reply did NOT have anything to do with linux per-say, but with file systems which are NOT nativly supported by Windows XP, like exFat or like Ex3 or like any other exotic file system. exFAT is NOT supported by native Windows XP either!! You must install an extra driver for that just as you would need to install an extra driver for any other filesystem, like for example Ex3.
You are staring blind on the fact that I said "*nix" and completely missing the point why I gave that example in the first place.

So I'll repeat it again in a different way so maybe you'll understand what I'm saying now and maybe you'll see that this isn't about what you thought it is: Even for exFAT you must install extra drivers on every Windows XP system you're going to plug the USB stick in, just as any other non-natively supported file system, like Ex3. There is NO difference, and it doesn't matter for what OS they originally were made (or when). Thus I'm not saying there is no difference between the two file systems, I'm saying there is no difference in how you would make it so you can use it. Thus making that option of using exFAT unusable too if he is going to use that USB stick on other Windows XPs like at his public school library or whatever. Thus exFAT is equally unusable (or as you put it "mute") as any other file system (like Ex3) for which you first need to install drivers too. That is the whole point.

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
*Note I am here to help whiz, not (as usual) pompously starting meaningless arguments with people.
With all respect but then don't start arguments and don't call people arrogant or their posts the usual rubbish or putting words in their mouth. I am also here to help whiz; we all are...

This post was edited on 03-28-2011 at 07:39 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-28-2011 06:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
16GB memory stick on XP... - by whiz on 03-27-2011 at 08:02 PM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by nimicitor on 03-28-2011 at 09:23 AM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by CookieRevised on 03-28-2011 at 01:54 PM
RE: RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by nimicitor on 03-28-2011 at 02:27 PM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by CookieRevised on 03-28-2011 at 02:38 PM
RE: RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by nimicitor on 03-28-2011 at 05:27 PM
RE: 16GB memory stick on XP... - by CookieRevised on 03-28-2011 at 06:21 PM