What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Online logging : Not enough space .. quota

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
Author: Message:
robert_dll

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I'm 200% sure the community would welcome it.
I would welcome it, 50MB is not enough for my logs (77.6MB, august 2010-today), and I'm not the kind of person that chats too much...
04-05-2011 12:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
There are under 17,000 myPlus accounts
Where do you base that on?

http://www.msgplus.net/Community/Members currently has 16992 pages, each page lists 12 users. This means there are 203904 MyPlus! accounts at the moment (assuming the last page is full, I guess it will be by the time I hit post). Somewhere around 90000 have been carried over from msghelp.net, more than doubled that amount in about 2 months.

My mistake, I did a quick fact check and read it as members. Point still stands though, the cost of writing the software should not surpass the cost of physical storage

EDIT: though with the ~203,000 members, how many are active and how many use the online chat log feature (how many to capacity (50Mb) even.

To be honest 50Mb of space for what are essentially text files is plenty! If there is a problem, people can archive them to SkyDrive or DropBox and carry on using the space

This post was edited on 04-05-2011 at 01:05 AM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
04-05-2011 01:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dex Luther

38 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Alexandre.Lefebvre
The bottom line is that we want to remain in control of our servers, because in the end we are the one that will be held accountable by the community.
If I may ask, accountable for what exactly?

If the user can choose between or use 3rd party online storages like SkyDrive, Dropbox, Amazon, etc he surely knows that his/her content will be in the hands of those 3rd parties and as such they are 'accountable' for it, that's plain logic. Also, a simple disclaimer to make it legal is all it takes. The user will have no problem regarding that I think. On the contrary, I'm 200% sure the community would welcome it. Since it is a very old (since logging was first added) and thus long standing request from that same community.

;)

Also I trust places like Skydrive or Dropbox (never heard of Amazon storage) with my stuff a lot more than I trust Yuna. I don't know who Yuna even is, and I'm supposed to trust them with my conversations?

The 3rd party storage would be great. Have the user imput the user name and password from the service in question, and then using the API to store their logs there automatically. Having the user sign up and input their account info shows that the user checked out the service and was ok with it enough to sign up. That takes all accountability away from Yuna and gives people a lot more storage space.
04-15-2011 02:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: