What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?
Author: Message:
elektra

aka quacky

– / Male / –
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?
why dey do dis tough. i dnt wnt to call the peeps on skyper i wont to type to dem. with keyboar.d?Q!!!
[Image: ps3_forum2.jpg][Image: x360_forum2.jpg]
11-22-2012 11:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by elektra
why dey do dis tough. i dnt wnt to call the peeps on skyper i wont to type to dem. with keyboar.d?Q!!!
You are able to type to them in Skype too.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-22-2012 11:24 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
foaly

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Is he though? He seems to have trouble with it...
[signature.jpg]
11-22-2012 12:54 PM
Diceman2037

RE: RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?
quote:
quote:

why would he use inferior software

Guaranteed there will be a hack to make WLM work still.
01-01-2013 08:49 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Diceman2037
quote:
quote:

Why? I dunno, that was not his question/remark...

Inferior? Skype had (and has) far better video quality and is far more stable than WLM ever had and was. It is not because you don't like certain aspects of a software that it is inferior.
Does that mean I like Skype better than WLM...no, but I wont call it inferior overall. Both pieces of software have quite different emphases and they both do better than the other on that (WLM is better in text IM, Skype in video/audio IM). The goal of MS is to combine those two into one product which is a very logic goal from a finance and useability pov. So let's hope the combination of them (which wont be done over one night) results in something greater than its parts.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-01-2013 04:01 PM
whiz

– / – / Flag
Here we go...

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/01/09/micros...-upgrade-to-skype/
01-09-2013 01:02 PM
Diceman2037

RE: RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Diceman2037
quote:
quote:

Why? I dunno, that was not his question/remark...

Inferior? Skype had (and has) far better video quality and is far more stablethan WLM ever had and was.

Wrong on both counts,  Skype is far more code bloated which leads to far more potential problems, one of them being the fact it uses a permanently gpu accelerated UI which makes it an annoyance to leave running in the background while loading up a game

quote:
It is not because you don't like certain aspects of a software that it is inferior.
Its inferior because it is a VOIP app with text chat hacked in at the last moment.

Its also based around the social media philosophy which many of us refused to upgrade to WLM 2011 just to avoid it.

quote:
Does that mean I like Skype better than WLM...no, but I wont call it inferior overall.

Your definition of inferior doesn't match the dictionary definition.

quote:
Both pieces of software have quite different emphases and they both do better than the other on that (WLM is better in text IM, Skype in video/audio IM). The goal of MS is to combine those two into one product which is a very logic goal from a finance and useability pov. So let's hope the combination of them (which wont be done over one night) results in something greater than its parts.

Microsoft will never achieve it.  They've been progressively destroying their software base for the last 6 years.

There is no possible way for Skype to get to par with WLM by march 15,  luckily the fact that it will still work in china puts up the prospects of a proxy hack, since that means they aren't actually closing the backend, or patching the client to ignore the upgrade and blocking mechanisms.
01-10-2013 06:40 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Trekie pointed out some additional info I haven't seen on any of the news blogs: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/live/default.aspx
quote:
Originally posted by http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/live/default.aspx
Important update from Microsoft
We recently announced that we’ll begin to encourage Messenger users to start using Skype. As a result, the Messenger developer program will end. Existing implementations that use Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) will continue to work until October 2013. Existing implementations that use MSP will continue to work until March 2014. For support for existing XMPP implementations, please visit our Forums page.
So that means:
  • Windows Live Messenger client ends March 15, 2013
  • Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) ends October 2013
  • MSP (MSNP) ends March 2014
XMPP and MSP are used in 3rd party clients like Trillian and Pidgin. Technically you could continue to use your 3rd party clients on the Live Messenger network for quite some time after the WLM client shuts down. I assume you'll still see the people online who use their Live ID to sign in to Skype (or have their Live ID linked to their Skype ID). We still don't know for sure what happens to WLM official WLM clients on Xbox, phones, etc.

But I am curious what Skype will do for 3rd party clients and developers once WLM really dies. Skype does offer SkypeKit, but their licensing does not allow it to be used in open source products and server-side products, amongst other things. Trillian seems to be one one the only clients which supports Skype officially, but they run into problems too.
Adium, eBuddy, Empathy, Jitsi, Miranda IM and Pidgin are all legally locked out from using SkypeKit. Apart from messy tricks where the user has to install the official Skype client first, there doesn't seem to be a way around having to use SkypeKit.

This leaves open source projects looking for answers...
It would be fantastic if they opened up SkypeKit for open source and server-side implementations. But at least adding XMPP connectivity would be a great step forward. Their XMPP implementation doesn't have to support video or even audio, I think it is text chat and file transfer what is probably most important to ex-WLM users.

This post was edited on 01-10-2013 at 01:55 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-10-2013 01:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
:zah: IT'S THE END!!! THE END IS HERE!!! :zah:

:| I can't believe this!

I mean, we all know MSNM/WLM was already kind of gone... but if crap like ICQ is still running... I dunno... Wow...

:zah:

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

01-11-2013 01:30 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
IT'S THE END!!! THE END IS HERE!!!

(8)AND I FEEL FINE(8)

This post was edited on 01-11-2013 at 03:40 AM by prashker.
01-11-2013 03:39 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: