What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Essentials Public Beta release

Pages: (31): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] 11 12 13 14 » Last »
Essentials Public Beta release
Author: Message:
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Essentials Public Beta release
From what I was just looking up about the SmartFilter on WLM (I haven't tested it yet, my VM crashed and was DeepFrozen :P), it said that the SmartFilter redirect only pops up if it can't verify the website, same as IE's own SmartFilter...or is that not the case?

I noticed the virus scanner option having been removed.....does  this impact on the ability of sending Zips/Exes?

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 12:28 PM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5219 days, 15 hours, 12 minutes, 35 seconds ago
06-25-2010 12:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
The problem is they are redirecting *all* links through their own service. True, only if something smells fishy you will see anything SmartFilter related on the screen, but in the background all links you click are redirected through their own servers when you click them.

IE's SmartFilter works differently. IE keeps a database of a list of known bad sites. Updates for that list are automatically downloaded, usually when you open your browser window. Each url you visit is checked against the database of bad sites locally, but if the site isn't known to be bad IE's SmartFilter will never report back to Microsoft's servers telling them all the sites you have visited. That's why there is a separate form to "Report this site as a phishing/scam site".

Messenger on the other hand will send every link you click to Microsoft's server. That will enable them to see if any strange links are suddenly be distributed over Messenger on a large scale, but it creates a privacy concern, and makes any link you click load slower. Not to mention if the really wanted to be annoying they could inject a frame with advertising to any site you visit from Messenger. We already saw Digg.com doing such things... Twitter announced they will start forcing all links to go through their own URL shorter too... It's a creepy thing, basically these companies are now in full control of a large portion of the links you click day in and out.

Rafael Rivera wrote a good post on it: Live Messenger and the “link harvesting black box in the sky”
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-25-2010 01:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Oh, I was under the impression that stuff would be popping up on the screen the whole time.....I don't really care if Microsoft want to harvest sent/received links.....like you said, the information all goes through their servers anyway.

I think if they start injecting advertising frames or the like, then it would start to get annoying......but I see it as a positive if it helps stop those annoying link viruses and spam contacts whilst not directly impact on the end user's experience
06-25-2010 01:31 PM
cypherth

what about some beta version from msn plus? i had locked my conversations and now i cant do this without it....
06-25-2010 03:56 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
I'm sure that Patchou is working on a compatible version as we speak to give as much added functionality as he can, before continuing the development of Messenger Plus! Live 5.  It could take a few weeks though, remember it's been out under 24 hours and unless he's had a private beta to work on then it could take a bit of time.  Just be patient :)
06-25-2010 04:01 PM
cypherth

thank you very much djdannyp!!!

very nice work, although i had a problem....when i signed in my contacts could not see me online, i send them messages, they were receiving normally buy i couldn't receive from them....

so i did this: i opened EVERY contact SEPARATELY , and checked appear offlineto each one!, and re-checked appear online, then anyone could see me online, and i could normally receive all the messages
06-25-2010 04:05 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
It probably just takes a while to all sync up once you sign into the new one.

I tried it on a test account and it took a while for things to happen.
06-25-2010 04:13 PM
Kafman

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Not to mention if the really wanted to be annoying they could inject a frame with advertising to any site you visit from Messenger.
See that link below the warning: "Advertise". They are gonna put some ads there, don't doubt about it (and viewing it from a business point, that's a great move, imagine the lot of money they're gonna make :P...)

I bet that in a few days I'm gonna see some Coca-Cola advertise there...

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I've made a tiny script that skips SmartScreen if anyone's interested: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/80058
I love you (L)
[Image: sig.png]
06-25-2010 05:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lt.Col.DraGon

35 / Male / Flag
Is anyone else having an issue integrating facebook to Messenger? All I get when I put my email and pw is a blank screen with the button "Close" on the bottom. Is there any way to fix this?

edit: nvm I trid it using managing services and it worked

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 05:07 PM by Lt.Col.DraGon.
06-25-2010 05:05 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Kafman
See that link below the warning: "Advertise". They are gonna put some ads there
I wouldn't read into that too much. It is the generic Windows Live footer, same as on http://home.live.com/ for example.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-25-2010 05:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (31): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] 11 12 13 14 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: