What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Essentials Public Beta release

Pages: (31): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 11 12 13 » Last »
Essentials Public Beta release
Author: Message:
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Essentials Public Beta release
Oh, I never particularly noticed that....I'm always signed into WLM, but on occasions when I did exit it, I'm pretty sure it didn't look like it was still funning....I may be mistaken though.

Definitely like the undocking feature for tabbed chats, I've wanted that back ever since it was removed from Messenger Plus! Live.  Natively including tabbed chatting will also mean that any nicknames will show up on them (something that irks me about Plus! tabbing)

A lot of people are gonna like the "Appear Offline to this contact" option too....as it's a little less harsh (psychologically) than blocking people....and easier than "Appearing Offline" totally.  I know people who selectively block people (cos sometimes you just don't want to talk to some people) so it would definitely be useful for them....and it's something that a lot of people have asked about before. 

Definitely like the quick status buttons too (borrowed from Guena's skin!), especially as they come up just when you hover over it, rather than having to right click like now.

Not quite such a fan of so many different things opening browsers (Edit contact for example).....I'd much prefer windows opening up within Messenger itself, but I guess it's part of the whole "Live" integration thing

I don't think it's gonna take that long to get used to from the little play I've just had with it.  All in all it looks like an improvement (Y)

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 09:18 AM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5219 days, 22 hours, 57 minutes, 42 seconds ago
06-25-2010 09:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Willz
anyone notice they readded signature sounds?
Where? :O

Right click on contact > Choose Sounds
That was there in Wave 3 already :p
That is also not signature sound, this sets a sound for that contact only you can hear. Signature sounds are sounds you set for yourself for others to hear when you sign in. Currently on laptop with Wave 3 on it, but I don't believe signature sound is back (not noticed it on my Desktop PC with W4 anyways), I'll check later. Checked and no, signature sounds are not back.

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 10:13 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
06-25-2010 09:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Oh, I never particularly noticed that....I'm always signed into WLM, but on occasions when I did exit it, I'm pretty sure it didn't look like it was still funning....I may be mistaken though.

Definitely like the undocking feature for tabbed chats, I've wanted that back ever since it was removed from Messenger Plus! Live.  Natively including tabbed chatting will also mean that any nicknames will show up on them (something that irks me about Plus! tabbing)

A lot of people are gonna like the "Appear Offline to this contact" option too....as it's a little less harsh (psychologically) than blocking people....and easier than "Appearing Offline" totally.  I know people who selectively block people (cos sometimes you just don't want to talk to some people) so it would definitely be useful for them....and it's something that a lot of people have asked about before. 

Definitely like the quick status buttons too (borrowed from Guena's skin!), especially as they come up just when you hover over it, rather than having to right click like now.

Not quite such a fan of so many different things opening browsers (Edit contact for example).....I'd much prefer windows opening up within Messenger itself, but I guess it's part of the whole "Live" integration thing

I don't think it's gonna take that long to get used to from the little play I've just had with it.  All in all it looks like an improvement (Y)
now try an change Nickname within WLM

My guess is your gonna have to Edit your WindowsLive ID to change your Nickname which will show up on your WLM2010

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 09:27 AM by Hank.
06-25-2010 09:25 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
To change a contact's nickname you just press F2, same as always.

Changing your own is kinda different......it had already been established a few pages back that display names had been removed and that it would take your Windows Live name (or Facebook name if you link it up)
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5219 days, 22 hours, 57 minutes, 42 seconds ago
06-25-2010 09:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Although nobody is preventing you from entering you nickname as name on your Live profile. http://profile.live.com/details/Edit/Name
Although if you link your account with Facebook, that name will override.
Doesn't seem to be the case. I linked my Facebook profile which has my real name, and changed my Live Profile name to "Menthix" (with some dodgy space as surname). Initially it still kept showing "Johan Bruné", even after signing out and exiting a couple of times. But now after a night sleep I signed in and my name shows as "Menthix" in Messenger.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-25-2010 09:35 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
To change a contact's nickname you just press F2, same as always.

Changing your own is kinda different......it had already been established a few pages back that display names had been removed and that it would take your Windows Live name (or Facebook name if you link it up)
i missed that where whoever said that.
06-25-2010 10:23 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
All I can say is: if you don't like it, complain as much as you can to MS and/or on all the forums and blogs you can find.
Would it work if someone made an online petition sorta thing?
Nope. As a matter of fact they usually backfire. Posting comments on blogs and other forums. Especially the official ones has far greater impact, as long as you complain about something which is truely missing/wrong. Complaining about a feature X which you personally don't like usually doesn't help. But this isn't just a feature x which is missing or lacking some options. These are fundamental privacy issues.

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Honestly though, I don't think most users have profile-only contacts. I mean...I actually doubt people actually use their profiles for anything. Imo, it only affects the online people who have their own identities online (I don't have fans online, so this really doesn't make a difference to me.)
You'd be surprised. It affects people using Hotmail even more, because there it is quite easy and almost intuitive to store 'contacts'. Although most of those would already know your email address (so, it is a bad example though), the name issue is still a concearn. Also this isn't just about Messenger. It impacts all of the Live Services, which are used quite a lot.You can add contacts from more places than just Hotmail or Messenger. Now, they all end up in your (Messenger) contacts resulting in them knowing your email address.

Either way. Even if only like 5% of the people using the Live Services have like 5 profile-only contacts, it is still a loss in privacy, and one without any warning (unless you read every tiny bit of text and click on every link before you proceed in altering your profile settings -but we all know how much people actually read-). Privacy issues should never be taken lightly or for granted.

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
And for that, dear MS, I give you (n)(n).
now thats a first i seen from you Cookie :) i can see a Lot going for Amsn or other IM clients if M$ dont change it
This doesn't have anything todo with the client. This isn't some feature which is lacking or whatever. These are underlying protocol things which even AMSN and other IM clients are obligated to use (if you're on the WL network).

PS: this isn't the first time I complain about MS either though. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Kafman
Gotta love the smartscreen, everytime someone sends me a link I feel like having installed some kind of spyware (L).

When Microsoft wants to protect you, the hell they do!
Yeah, that's another thing people were complaining about during the private beta. You can't turn it off... And although it will protect a lot of less pc-literate people (which is what it is for) and as such is a great feature, there are still people who know what they are doing and for them this is unfortunatly again a step towards leaving Messenger all together for their business. Hopefully this will change by the time the final version is released.

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
ok iv'e had 2 crashes with it, Pressing CTRL+N crashes it ( doesnt matter what Mode its in, i can reproduce that crash)
ai, not good... Make sure you have enabled the option to send crash logs to MS.

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Installing now, the only put-off for me is the inability to use a nickname, but I would be shocked if that was not re-added.
Don't get your hopes up to much though. The whole integration with social networks was also one of the reasons why the display name has been removed. Which is kind of logical because in some social networks you have it, in others you don't, and some people don't use social networks at all. So it would have made the whole integration a bit complicated as in who sees what name and when. Now it is more 'streamlined', more like one name for everything so to speak. At least, that's the intention.

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 10:42 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2010 10:29 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Essentials Public Beta release
yeah i have it ticked.
06-25-2010 10:36 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
I've made a tiny script that skips SmartScreen if anyone's interested: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/80058
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
06-25-2010 11:28 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Yeah, that's another thing people were complaining about during the private beta. You can't turn it off... And although it will protect a lot of less pc-literate people (which is what it is for) and as such is a great feature, there are still people who know what they are doing and for them this is unfortunatly again a step towards leaving Messenger all together for their business. Hopefully this will change by the time the final version is released.
I don't understand why they don't just rely on IE's own SmartFilter. It is like they are not trusting their own products. Just like you had to specify a virus scanner in older Messenger version even though Windows itself already monitors if your anti virus product is running (which will scan all files on-access). They seem to have finally removed that in this version btw . SmartScreen in IE will already protect you from bad sites, just like other modern browsers all have their own technology for that. The only thing I can imagine they are gaining from this approach is logging each and every link sent through Messenger so the can keep track of virusses/bots spreading through Messenger distributing malware or phishing for private details. But if it is logging the links they are after, don't those all flow through the Messenger server anyway? If so they could just log them on their servers without forcing me through some dodgy redirection.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-25-2010 12:20 PM
Pages: (31): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 11 12 13 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: