Shoutbox

Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs (/showthread.php?tid=74210)

Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Sunshine on 05-06-2007 at 02:49 PM

How to modify chatlogs from the commandline

You can encrypt/decrypt existing logs (and more) from the commandline (Start > Run) with the logviewer application:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=814456]
Results of run > "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /?

Note: strings which contain spaces need to be inside quotes. eg:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /encrypt="c:\my logs\contact1@hotmail.com.txt" /pwd="my password"

Most used

Decrypt:
Start > run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /decrypt="<full path to log that needs to be decrypted>"
<enter>
You will be prompted for the (old) password.

Note: the original encrypted file will not be deleted, you will have to do that manually.

Encrypt:
Start > Run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /encrypt="<full path to the log that needs encrypting>" /pwd="my password"
<enter>
Replace "my password" with your password.

Note: the original unencrypted file will not be deleted, you will have to do that manually.

If you need to decrypt and/or encrypt more than one file then the DecryptAll.bat (decrypting) and/or EncryptAll.bat (encrypting) included in DecryptEncryptAll.zip made by CookieRevised may be of help. These batch files will decrypt or encrypt all the log files of Messenger Plus! Live which exist in a folder and its subfolders when run from inside that folder (these also delete the original logfiles after successful decrypting/encrypting).

Changing password on encrypted files:
For chatlogs made with Plus!Live (any build):

Start > Run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /changepwd="C:\MyLogs\contactemail@hotmail.com.ple" /newpwd="test"
<enter>
You will be prompted to fill in the old password.

(replace "C:\MyLogs\contactemail@hotmail.com.ple" with the full path to the logfile you wish to alter the pw for and "test" with your new password. Note: strings wich contain spaces need to be put inside quotes)

Now for logs made with Plus!3 it's a different story, you will need to decrypt them and then re-encrypt them with the new password (see above howto). The logs will then not be readable by Plus!3 anymore, in other words if you still use Plus!3 at some point and log the chats Plus!3 will create a new log, not add to the one you altered.

Explanation other optional switches:

• /Dest - Destination, use this switch if you wish to put the endfile in another folder or use another filename.
    Requires full path + filename including extension (.ple for encrypted, .txt for unencrypted files)
  • /KeySize - to alter/set the encryption strenght of the file
    Without, logs will be encrypted at strength set in Plus > Preferences > Conversations > Logs Encryption
  • /Overwrite - overwrites file if a file with the same name already exists
  • /Partial - makes sure everything possible from an encrypted file gets decrypted if the log got corrupted. Not using /Partial would result in an error and no output file whereas with /Partial the parts that didn't get corrupted will be written to a file.
  • /Hint - to set a password hint

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by watani11 on 01-29-2008 at 07:09 PM

what can u do if u have lost<forgot> the password??

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by MeEtc on 01-29-2008 at 07:13 PM

Chat Log password...plz!
chat logs encryption
Chat Log Encryption Problem

In short, you can't do anything if you don't have the password.
There wouldn't be much point of having a password if it could be bypassed, would it?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by cvera on 02-09-2008 at 09:46 AM

I use a password to encrypt my log files. I want to be asked for the password from the first time I press view chat logs. Now when you press view chat logs, it open the chat organizer windows ans you are able to see all contacs and existing chat files which is not what I want.

Then you choose one contact and to see the chat content you are asked for the password.. but this is not what i want because i do not want anybody using my PC know that I record my chat and with wich contacts I did it

Some suggestion?
carlos

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 02-09-2008 at 11:07 AM

You cannot prevent other people using your Windows account from knowing that you record your conversations.

Set a passwod for your Windows account (Control panel>User Accounts>your account name>Set a password) and if it asks you*1, make your My Documents folder hidden for other accounts, then create a new account for other people who use your computer (Control panel>User Accounts>Create a new account)

(*1) If it doesn't ask, then it means your hard disk's file system is not NTFS. You can convert it without losing any file, open Start>Programs>Accessories>Command ...., then type in the black window "convert [your hard disk's letter, most of the time C]: /fs:ntfs" without quotation marks and hit Enter.

Example:

convert C: /fs:ntfs

It will be converted next time your computer is started.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 02-29-2008 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Encrypt:
Start > Run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /encrypt="<full path to the log that needs encrypting>" /pwd="my password"
<enter>
Replace "my password" with your password.
I noticed that while encrypting files with this command line, we don't need to enter our password at the end of the command line. Because if we don't type any password there, Log Viewer's "Password Required" window pops-up and asks for the password which will be used to encrypt the file. And when you type your password in that window, it encrypts the file with that password successfully. So Patchou, you can consider surrounding /Pwd=password item with brackets in the Accepted Command Line Arguments window like:

quote:
/Encrypt=srcfile [/Pwd=password] [/Dest=dstfile]...
I think this would be more useful to keep the pwd secret because command line window keeps a history of things entered there and other people may see the password there.
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by laymunaa on 03-06-2008 at 06:58 PM

Hey

I have a problem :(

I would like to send the encripted logfiles to some friends as a file via MSN, but it is not possible, cause my freinds dont have the logviewer, and so i wanted to cobvert the file in an html file! is that possible? Or ist it possible to send my freind the files without that they install the log viewer?

Thanks

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 03-06-2008 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by laymunaa
Hey

I have a problem :(

I would like to send the encripted logfiles to some friends as a file via MSN, but it is not possible, cause my freinds dont have the logviewer, and so i wanted to cobvert the file in an html file! is that possible? Or ist it possible to send my freind the files without that they install the log viewer?

Thanks
Sunshine were explaining exactly the required procedure you must follow in the beginning of this thread :/ Decrypt them and send them! (Once they're decrypted, they will be html or txt according to their format and they'll be able to be opened by your friends without the need of logviewer.)

Also feel free to share Messenger Plus! Live with your friends ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Most used

Decrypt:
Start > run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /decrypt="<full path to log that needs to be decrypted>"
<enter>
You will be prompted for the (old) password.

Note: the original encrypted file will not be deleted, you will have to do that manually.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Desert Rose22 on 03-26-2008 at 09:16 PM

hi,
can someone help me please. im trying to open my msn chat log but after i enter the password i get a box saying
(This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. Creat an association in the Set Associations control panel.)

i have no idea what to do, any help would be appreciated.
thanx :)

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 03-26-2008 at 09:30 PM

It seems to me that the Log Viewer.exe is missing on your system or something else. I think reinstalling Messenger Plus! Live is the first and easiest thing you can try to solve the problem..

RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Desert Rose22 on 03-26-2008 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
It seems to me that the Log Viewer.exe is missing on your system or something else. I think reinstalling Messenger Plus! Live is the first and easiest thing you can try to solve the problem..

i tried reinstalling still didnt work :(

it works now after reinstalling it twice.
thanx :)
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by jolhof on 04-13-2008 at 02:22 AM

Okay I looked around and did not see this posted anywhere yet.

I recently reinstalled my OS and thus re-installed all my programs. I had copied my former chat logs (which are encrypted) to another HD for backup. With the fresh version of messenger and MPL installed I tried to open up the old chat logs. To no success.
I tried all the tricks and methods listed here, and I do not even get a prompt from windows to confirm if I want to change or reset or delete my encryption password.
All it says is this :

The specified file couldn't be opened for read access.

I would really like to be able to open those logs again!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Patchou on 04-13-2008 at 03:26 AM

My guess is that this is a security issue. You need to take ownership of the files, they're probably still marked with your old user id (SID).

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by justinelove on 09-11-2008 at 03:54 PM

how do i recover the old password that i used for the chat logs?

RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Vilkku on 09-11-2008 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by justinelove
how do i recover the old password that i used for the chat logs?
Chat log password cannot be recovered, if you lost your password, there is no way to open the logs.
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Aeolyn on 09-17-2008 at 07:33 PM

I'm having the same problem as jolhof, I've just reformatted and wanted to check something in my logs, which I had transferred to a jump drive.

They are encrypted, but when I go to decrypt them, I get a window saying, "An error has occurred while trying to decrypt your file. Please reboot or try again on another computer."

I've rebooted, but nothing happened.

I'm UNIMPRESSED~

And sad.

So it'd be wondrous if someone could answer this for me.

EDIT: It seems more like it's one particular log. That I need to get into REALLY BADLY.

;-;~

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by shawdy on 10-01-2008 at 06:20 AM

I'm experiencing the same problem as Aeolyn...the same error message occurs for me too and I've rebooted numerous times as well as restoring to a previous point in time and still nothing!

anyone know what's going on here? only change I've had was installing mozilla firefox - so to try amend the problem I even uninstalled my firefox but to no avail arghhhhh!

some enlightment on the issue would be great.

Hey Aeolyn, does the problem still persist or have you found an antidote? share if you please and anybody's assistance also!

cheers :)

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Aeolyn on 10-07-2008 at 11:12 PM

SADLY, no.

I'm still having this problem.

u.u

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Scott9096 on 11-14-2008 at 08:18 AM

Ive managed to use the Start - Run option to decrypt a file which kept coming up error before.

But where does the files go.

It appears in the same folder as the original encrypted log but then dissapears :o

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 11-14-2008 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scott9096
Ive managed to use the Start - Run option to decrypt a file which kept coming up error before.

But where does the files go.

It appears in the same folder as the original encrypted log but then dissapears :o
Using also the /Partial key while decrypting may help to have a permanent decrypted file in the folder.
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by MaxEvans on 11-19-2008 at 11:08 PM

Here's a question. I found a whole folder of encrypted chat logs I have from 2005. I can't for the life of me remember the password I used then. It was three years ago. I found the area you can re-encrypt files with a specified password in the preferences. But it won't work with logs encrypted with older versions of Plus!. Is there any way at all I can get into them?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by MeEtc on 11-20-2008 at 02:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEvans
Is there any way at all I can get into them?
Yes. 1, you need to remember the password. If you don't know it, you're SOL. 2, you can use Log Manager to do the encrypting.

BUT
you still need to know the old password
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by nomethegnome on 12-19-2008 at 09:15 PM

I know you can't decrypt a chat log without having the password, but there is one folder of chat logs that keeps telling me I have the wrong password. As there are only two possible passwords I use to encrypt chat logs, is it possible something is wrong with the files? I've tried a number of passwords but none of them seem to work. It's really unlike me to create a separate password for that month, so I'm not sure how that could have happened :/

RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Er_ec on 03-02-2009 at 06:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
My guess is that this is a security issue. You need to take ownership of the files, they're probably still marked with your old user id (SID).

I have changed my pc, moved all my files to new pc and took ownership of all them but can't open logs.

Could you say if file encrypt depend of pc, as windows activation or other mechanisc?

I have old ple1 encrypted files from 2002 that like to see, can I use Log viewer 4.80.0.356 to open ple1 encrypted files?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by kerzio on 04-13-2009 at 11:49 PM

i have my old chatlogs from an old pc but forgot the password after reading endless posts saying this was not possable i gave up but last few weeks have been checking it out again and  can now sucsefully decript any msg pluslog within 3 mins tops. yup every and anyone one.
i was told how to do it by asking around and have the script to do it.
its very easy and am awaiting someone to build a simple program for everyone to use but may be a few weeks / months yet but its in the pipeline.

stay tuned

kerzio

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 04-14-2009 at 01:21 AM

I dunno what your goal is kerzio, but the way encrypted logs are made means that it is not possible to decrypt them without the password. The password is also not stored anywhere. This has been explained again and again.

Yes you could use brute force attacks but that would take a very very very long time, even on the most modern computer of today! Let alone that this can be done with a (very slow) "script" as you call it.

So I can only suspect that your goal is to either cause an uproar and/or to try to trick people to send you their logs (for whatever reason).

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by metaltooth on 07-02-2009 at 07:32 PM

Hi i have a problem...

When i try to decrypt a file...everything happens normaly but i don't get any message...:S:S:S:S

what i do wrong???

i write this....

"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /decrypt="C:\Documents and Settings\Demonas\blablablablabla greek stuff\xxxx@hotmail.com"

i press enter and nothing happen..how i know that i decrypt right???:(

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 07-03-2009 at 02:11 PM

Make sure the Log Viewer application is in the directory you type, i.e. in C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live folder. Or when you type "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /? you must see a window explaining these commands (just like in the screenshot in the first post of this thread).

In fact, why it doesn't work on your computer is because you type your log file's path wrong, just include the file type extension ".ple" at the end of the path you wrote above, like xxx@hotmail.com.ple.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by metaltooth on 07-03-2009 at 03:10 PM

Hi i did what you say and yes i see the commands to check if it right...

and i put this...

"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /decrypt="C:\Folder\xxxxx@hotmail.com.ple"

is that right..???nothing happen again...i have copy paste for more easy path the file that i want to decrypt....and paste inside the folder in my c...

still the same..:(

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 07-03-2009 at 05:07 PM

Yes, that seems right but there should definitely be a problem with the part after decrypt=.

You can also try using this bat file: DecryptEncryptAll.zip made by CookieRevised Note that this bat file should be run inside the folder where log files are in, and make sure you have a copy of the file in another folder as this bat file deletes the original file after decrypting it.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by metaltooth on 07-03-2009 at 06:00 PM

thanks....i find it...isn't encrypt..xexe thanks i will keep the files...!!!:)

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 07-03-2009 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by metaltooth
thanks....i find it...isn't encrypt..xexe thanks i will keep the files...!!!:)
:S so what was the problem!? I didn't understand

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by mooni620 on 07-11-2009 at 10:47 PM

I have a question... Every time I try decrypting a certain chat log, I get this message:

quote:
"An error occured while trying to decrypt your file. Please reboot or try again on another computer."
This doesn't happen with any other chat log - as far as I no. I tried rebooting several times and I tried on another computer with the same results. Any suggestions?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 07-12-2009 at 04:11 AM

Trying to decrypt the file with extra /Partial key to decrypt it as much as possible would be the last option for you. You can find necessary information about usage of /Partial key in the first message of this thread.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by mooni620 on 07-12-2009 at 05:08 PM

So I type: ""C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /decrypt="C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\My Chat Logs\xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com\April 2009.ple" /Partial" into the box and hit enter? Because I did that and nothing happened. Nothing happened without the /Partial as well.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CJBarone on 08-20-2009 at 03:55 AM

I have my saved log files, and now I'm on a Macintosh, with no access to a Windows machine. Is there any way to decrypt the files so I can read them? I have the password

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by rada on 08-24-2009 at 01:11 PM

Hey!

I began an encryped log file a while ago, since then I reinstalled my computer, though I saved and backed up the log before hand. Messenger plus began saving the encrypted log somewhere else though. How can I combine the old log with the new one?

:S

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 08-24-2009 at 08:35 PM

1) Turn encryption in Plus! off.
2) Adjust your Plus! settings so that the logs are saved in the place you want.
3) Decrypt both logs using 'LOG VIEWER.EXE'. See the top post for more info.
4) Manually add the old log to the new log. This needs to be done manually since there is no automated program or tool at this moment which can do this properly and depending on the type of the log (HTML or text) it can be a somewhat complicated and labor intensive job and you need to know the markup of the logs. Don't forget to also move (and maybe rename) the images in the subfolder in case you have an html log.
5) Move the newly created log to the appropiate folder.
6) Encrypt the newly created log using 'LOG VIEWER.EXE'. See the top post for more info.
7) Turn encryption back on in Plus!.
8) If you've done everything properly then Plus! will simply start adding new conversations to the newly created log.

RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by rada on 08-25-2009 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
1) Turn encryption in Plus! off.
2) Adjust your Plus! settings so that the logs are saved in the place you want.
3) Decrypt both logs using 'LOG VIEWER.EXE'. See the top post for more info.
4) Manually add the old log to the new log. This needs to be done manually since there is no automated program or tool at this moment which can do this properly and depending on the type of the log (HTML or text) it can be a somewhat complicated and labor intensive job and you need to know the markup of the logs. Don't forget to also move (and maybe rename) the images in the subfolder in case you have an html log.
5) Move the newly created log to the appropiate folder.
6) Encrypt the newly created log using 'LOG VIEWER.EXE'. See the top post for more info.
7) Turn encryption back on in Plus!.
8) If you've done everything properly then Plus! will simply start adding new conversations to the newly created log.

THX!!!
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by blushingsmile on 09-19-2009 at 08:38 AM

I know it has been asked before early last year and possibly every year.    New technology have advance the messageplus with all updates and upgrades, so I was hoping that since passwords are essential tools for keeping it private these days, they might be able to find ways to have it re-set.

Is there anyway that passwords can be re-set on messageplus preferences as well as on chatlogs ?

I have not accessed my msgplus for few months or since I have changed the passwords in June 2009, and have forgotten what I changed it to.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 09-19-2009 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blushingsmile
Is there anyway that passwords can be re-set on messageplus preferences as well as on chatlogs ?
Re-setting the chatlog password on MsgPlus! preferences is always possible, no previous password required. But re-setting the passwords of old encrypted files is possible if and only if the previous passwords are known.
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by showman on 09-28-2009 at 02:28 PM

Still no way discovered to decrypt logs without knowing the password?

OMG i need some of my old logs :S
Do something plz

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Matti on 09-28-2009 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by showman

Do something plz
Think about this: if it were possible to decrypt the log files without knowing the password, why would anyone want to use that kind of encryption? Isn't that the whole point of encrypting files?

If you no longer know it, you're out of luck. The only thing you can do is changing the password for new logs, that's where it ends.
RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by showman on 09-28-2009 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matti
quote:

Do something plz
Think about this: if it were possible to decrypt the log files without knowing the password, why would anyone want to use that kind of encryption? Isn't that the whole point of encrypting files?

If you no longer know it, you're out of luck. The only thing you can do is changing the password for new logs, that's where it ends.

But there should be some way to retrieve logs. coz many people forget passwords 2 or 3 years . i know u will say those should note passwords somewhere. but that is not a permanent solution for this problem. coz many people facing the same problem. hope to get some technique soon :(

Anyhow thanks for your reply
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ChatMaster on 10-01-2009 at 08:38 PM

So it's not possible to get my password off?

The password remains even if you reinstall the application?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 10-01-2009 at 09:06 PM

quote:
coz many people forget passwords 2 or 3 years . i know u will say those should note passwords somewhere. but that is not a permanent solution for this problem. coz many people facing the same problem. hope to get some technique soon :(
It is a permanent solution though. Either they note their password down somewhere, or they remember it, simple as that.

If you think you might forget a password in 5 years time and you don't want to note it down somewhere, then you should not use encryption in the first place.

Using encryption implies that you remember the password, in one way or the other. That goes for every form of password protected encryption. Otherwise it would be useless to have it anyways.

quote:
Originally posted by ChatMaster
But there should be some way to retrieve logs.
Nope there should not because logs are private.
I think you would not like it if your encrypted logs can simply be read by your mom, foo or girlfriend (in case you're cheating), no?

quote:
nope, absolutely not possible.

quote:
yep, of course.

----

As explained many times before: it is not possible, and will never be possible, in any way, to decrypt encrypted logs if you don't know the correct password.

Note that since a few versions of Plus! you can also add a hint sentence to help remember the password.

;)
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Patchou on 10-01-2009 at 09:13 PM

Thus, enforcing the idea of "logs being protected". No password, no log, for anybody.

RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ChatMaster on 10-03-2009 at 07:08 PM

quote:

quote:
But there should be some way to retrieve logs.
Nope there should not because logs are private.
I think you would not like it if your encrypted logs can simply be read by your mom, foo or girlfriend (in case you're cheating), no?

quote:
nope, absolutely not possible.

quote:
yep, of course.

;)

So this means I can not get back on it now because I do not know my password and it can never be used on this computer?
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 10-03-2009 at 11:25 PM

quote:
So this means I can not get back on it now because I do not know my password and it can never be used on this computer?
It indeed means you can not open the encrypted logs if you do not know the password.

You can however always set a new password to be used on futur logs.
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by showman on 10-04-2009 at 05:23 AM

Thanks for not helping

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by djdannyp on 10-04-2009 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Thanks for not helping

If there was a way to access the logs without the password it would defeat the object of them being encrypted.
RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by showman on 10-05-2009 at 05:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:
Thanks for not helping

If there was a way to access the logs without the password it would defeat the object of them being encrypted.

ummm...
Everything has positive and negative effects.
Even u can use a gun for your safety purpose or for killing others. usage depends on the user..
If u saying others can view logs by discovering some way to decrypt without password.. its upto them.. not ur fault.
u see on the other side.. people loosing their data.. n u say now they should remember passwords for future logs.. and forget about old logs. this is not a way...

Anyways forget it
Thanks

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 10-05-2009 at 08:28 AM

quote:

ummm...
Everything has positive and negative effects.
Even u can use a gun for your safety purpose or for killing others. usage depends on the user..
If u saying others can view logs by discovering some way to decrypt without password.. its upto them.. not ur fault.
u see on the other side.. people loosing their data.. n u say now they should remember passwords for future logs.. and forget about old logs. this is not a way...
If some guy founds a way to decrypt it without the password, probably he would like to declare and share it either to his friends or on the web. Then this method will spread everywhere. Then people who want to decrypt encrypted logs like you will make a quick search on the web and learn this method. Now no encrypted log on the world will be protected anymore because all those can be decrypted with that method and Patchou may end up by removing this feature from Messenger Plus! chat logging.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Myth757 on 10-22-2009 at 07:45 AM

I haven't lost my password like these dumbasses, but most of my logs are in HTML format, does anyone know how I can change them to the .PLE format?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 10-22-2009 at 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Myth757
I haven't lost my password like these dumbasses, but most of my logs are in HTML format, does anyone know how I can change them to the .PLE format?
Please read the first post in this thread, everything is explained in there.

PLE is the encrypted format of the Messenger Plus! log chats.
Thus, simply turn encryption on to turn your logs into encrypted PLE files.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Elecyah on 10-28-2009 at 06:10 PM

I'm one of the unlucky ppl who used the encryption 4 years ago and now have logs they can't read because of a forgotten password. :( I've been reading these forums thru and thru to see if there is any way to recover a lost password, but I take it there isn't. My computer was crashing over and over back then and was taken back to the store to get repaired every month, it seemed. When I finally got it back, I was told to install only essentials, because the prob seemed to be a program-related one, so Messenger Plus! was one of the programs I didn't dare to get back - hence my logs remained encrypted as they had been the previous time my comp went belly up, and as I quit using the program, I eventually forgot the pass, too.

I'll just have to keep racking my brain and trying to remember what pass I used.
Reason I'm posting is to ask if the encryption passwords have always had the minimum of 4 letters as it seems to have now? Or if, for example, at 2005 it could have been shorter? That would be at least some sort of a start. And was there a limit of how long it could be?
Also, I read somewhere about different logs having different passwords or something? I know I changed my pass a couple of times during the time I encrypted logs, but I don't remember having to type in different passes to read the old logs. As I remember, I always just used the newest one. Am I just remembering wrong?

The logs I'm trying to retrieve are the first messenger convos between myself and the guy I ended up marrying 2 years later from when the convos took place. It would mean a lot to me to remember that password, so thank you to anyone who'd take the time to read this and answer my question. :)

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 10-28-2009 at 07:53 PM

As you know by now, you can not decrypt logs if you don't know the correct password.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think there always was a minimum size of 4 characters. The maximum limit doesn't really matter because as soon as you have a minimum of 6 characters the password is already relative strong (for Messenger Plus! chat logs).

If you have changed your password several times, then the chance is high that different logs have different passwords. It all depends on how you archived the logs over time as only the logs in the main directory will be re-encrypted with the new password. The logs already stored/archived in a subfolder will not be re-encrypted when you change your password.

I'm sorry that you are unable to remember the password for those important logs, but we can not help you with that. It is not possible to decrypt without knowing the exact password.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Elecyah on 10-28-2009 at 08:03 PM

Thank you. :)

Yea, I have indeed figured out there's nothing to be done to decrypt them without the right pass, which is why I'm racking my brain to figure out what pass I might have used. It's why I was asking about the min/max lengths. So at least I won't waste time thinking about or trying 1-3 letter passwords while trying to find the right one.

I have pretty much given up hope, tho. I've been at this for a year now, off and on. I've got a couple of non-important passes I often use for stuff like this, and I always thought that all I'd need to do was to download the Plus again and punch them in. Along the 3-4 years I didn't use Plus! I didn't in fact know I had forgotten the password. Just that I didn't have the program to read the logs. Ah well.. live and learn.

Thank you for your time and reply :)

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by yerm80 on 03-13-2010 at 09:09 AM

buenas noches... espero puedan ayudarme... encripte mis historiales de conversacion y ahora no recuerdo la clave... hay alguna manera de quitarles el candado que genere??? espero su pronta respuesta...

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 03-13-2010 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yerm80
buenas noches... espero puedan ayudarme... encripte mis historiales de conversacion y ahora no recuerdo la clave... hay alguna manera de quitarles el candado que genere??? espero su pronta respuesta...
As said countless times: no, there is no way to decrypt a log without knowing the correct password, sorry...

In English:
quote:
Originally posted by yerm80
Good night... hope you can help me... I've encrypted my conversation logs and forgot the password... Is there any way to remove the decryption??? Waiting for a quick response...

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by lingrong on 03-20-2010 at 11:15 AM

Hi,
i tried to encrypt but i get a window saying, "Sorry, the cryptographic key could not be generated on this computer."

can anyone help me please :(

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by djdannyp on 03-20-2010 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lingrong
Hi,
i tried to encrypt but i get a window saying, "Sorry, the cryptographic key could not be generated on this computer."

can anyone help me please :(

Please search the forum before posting and you would have found the following answer:

CookieRevised's reply to Logs encryption problem
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Pajtimii on 03-26-2010 at 01:41 PM

Hi all, The decryption of a chat log file doesn't work for me ... I do all the work, but when I push enter, nothing happens...

my log file neither opens :F this is what happens if I try to open it...

[Image: 27150580.png]

Can anybody help me by opening this file, or decrypting it??

Thnx :D

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by djdannyp on 03-26-2010 at 01:44 PM

What happens if you press "Open"?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Pajtimii on 03-26-2010 at 01:49 PM

Nothing... It opens the chat log viewer, but blank...

Help please, i do need that ChatLog...

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 03-26-2010 at 10:53 PM

Is it something with a specific chat log file? If so;
Did you have any chance to take the file to another computer with Log Viewer installed?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 03-27-2010 at 06:57 AM

From the first look of it, I think this has something todo with a file extension association problem, where the default action for the 'ple' extension is not opening files with "Log Viewer.exe /decrypt=xxx", but saving the file.

Pajtimii, what happens when you reinstall or repair Messenger Plus!?

If that fails, and you have the same behaviour, you can maybe try to untick the box "Always ask before opening this file" and press "Open" in that file dialog which pops up. sorry, wouldn't work, because the file should be decrypted first and it is the temporary decrypted file which the log viewer expects, hence you get a blank screen in the log viewer.

RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Pajtimii on 03-27-2010 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Is it something with a specific chat log file? If so;
Did you have any chance to take the file to another computer with Log Viewer installed?
yes I tried that, but the same problem appears...

CookieRevised, I tried to decrypt it with Log Manager script for Messenger Plus, It says that Decryption Completed succesfuly, but there is no file decrypted...
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by clooney_girl06 on 03-29-2010 at 12:35 AM

Hey,
i wanted to view one of my chat logs but when i tried to this showed up "An Error occurred while trying to decrypt your file. please reboot or try again on another computer." i tried rebooting and on other computers multiple times but it wouldn't work. can someone please help me

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Chrissy on 03-29-2010 at 12:51 AM

]

quote:
That program is only for logs created with Messenger Plus! 3.

Messenger Plus! Live uses a different (stronger) algorithm to encrypt/decrypt logs.

So you wont be able to use that program for logs created with Messenger Plus! Live.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

To try and fix the error "Sorry, the cryptographic key could not be generated on this computer.":

First set a lower key size for generating the encryption in the Plus! preferences to see and test if the following resolutions help.

1) Make sure you have the latest version of Messenger Plus!.

2) make sure you have all the latest Windows updates and fixes. This is highly important.

3) You also might wanna look at all the resolutions described in this MS KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798. Try them all one by one!

4) Try to (re)install the Cryptographic API redistributable.

5) There are other threads which report the same error, a true fix has never been given, nevertheless you should check them all out and read them carefully:
Chat Logging
Logs Encryption
Chat logging, cryptographic
i can't encrypt my chat log
Help - Cant generate encryption key
Cryptographic key can't be created
Encryption Problems
Logs encryption problem
Chatlogs encryption password
BUG? -> cryptographic key couldnt be generated on this computer!
encryption logs part doesnt work please help me
crypitographic key can't be generated!
Some threads link back to here though. Nevertheless they could contain vital info and/or tips.

----

Try all the suggested things one by one, remember to reboot after each try, eventhough it isn't said to do so. If something solved the error, let us know. And as such:

6) As last resort you could mail Patchou like he asked here, but only if all others things above didn't work!

EDIT: updated the post a bit.
For my own reference and maybe usefull for testing: CryptoAPI Test Suite

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Mahey on 04-26-2010 at 09:00 AM

I have the same problem of encryption. The error comes as "An error occurred while trying to decrypt your file. Please reboot or try again on another computer.

I have tried many computers and still not working. Early today i used partial encryption in cmd. i.e

"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /decrypt="C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Chat Logs\devils_clinic@hotmail.com.ple" /partial

It is a file of size 5000+ kb

but it encrypts only 663kb

Can anyone help me for a further encryption. How can i encrypt more

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 04-26-2010 at 12:09 PM

If the partial decryption stopped at one point, there is nothing you can do to decrypt it further.

Does the partially decrypted file makes sense? I mean, is it properly decrypted?

Does it contain the complete history for that contact?

Because, it might be that the ecnrypted log got corrupted somehow at some point (not nessecairly the fault of Plus! though. It might be a hard disk failure).

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by tknaj2002sa on 05-02-2010 at 05:23 PM

Dear Patchou

I do realley appreciate that for you to assist me restoring chat log password in chat logs.

I can send you one file of the enecripted chat log and just provide me with the decryipt password as the logs are important for me and I can't loss it I set the current logs to not be encrypted.

Please help me on this.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Menthix on 05-02-2010 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tknaj2002sa
I can send you one file of the enecripted chat log and just provide me with the decryipt password as the logs are important for me and I can't loss it I set the current logs to not be encrypted.
That's just impossible. Even for Patchou. This is the way the encryption works, without the proper password you cannot decrypt it, there is no trick or secret way to get around it.
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Chrissy on 05-02-2010 at 05:37 PM

Brute force it :P

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by krazykikikat on 12-15-2010 at 07:46 PM

So I'm not entirely sure if this is what I need...
I don't have Plus! and before I get it I want to ask this question:
can I use it to encrypt already existing chatlogs, that were saved before even installing the addon?

That's really all I'm interested in, is encrypting my logs.  I don't see a way to do that with just straight Windows Live...

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 12-15-2010 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by krazykikikat
So I'm not entirely sure if this is what I need...
I don't have Plus! and before I get it I want to ask this question:
can I use it to encrypt already existing chatlogs, that were saved before even installing the addon?

That's really all I'm interested in, is encrypting my logs.  I don't see a way to do that with just straight Windows Live...
Yes, you can use Log Viewer.exe (a sub program of Messenger Plus! Live) to encrypt your chatlogs (or any other file). Just follow the guidelines posted by the original poster of this thread. When you need to read them just open them by double clicking and enter the password when prompted (Messenger Plus! Live should have been installed for the password prompt window to appear)
RE: RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by krazykikikat on 12-15-2010 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Yes, you can use Log Viewer.exe (a sub program of Messenger Plus! Live) to encrypt your chatlogs (or any other file). Just follow the guidelines posted by the original poster of this thread. When you need to read them just open them by double clicking and enter the password when prompted (Messenger Plus! Live should have been installed for the password prompt window to appear)

Thank you!
I will install this addon then. :D
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by dreaded on 02-15-2011 at 04:16 PM

This needs to be updated for version 5. So does DecryptEncryptAll.zip made by CookieRevised. I forgot to encrypt my log files for awhile now and I have months and several accounts of unencrypted log files that I would like to encrypt. Is there a way to encrypt several accounts and folders now with version 5?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 02-15-2011 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dreaded
This needs to be updated for version 5. So does DecryptEncryptAll.zip made by CookieRevised. I forgot to encrypt my log files for awhile now and I have months and several accounts of unencrypted log files that I would like to encrypt. Is there a way to encrypt several accounts and folders now with version 5?
See the first post. Everything explained there is still the same for Messenger Plus! 5. Nothing needs to be updated in that post.

The only thing that needs updating are those batch-file tools you can find in that other thread. Which I will do when I find some time...
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by dreaded on 02-15-2011 at 06:59 PM

It is C:\Program Files\Yuna Software now for Windows XP. I edited your file and fount the registry entry to change also. I changed HKLM\SOFTWARE\%WOW64%Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus! and it worked.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 02-15-2011 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dreaded
It is C:\Program Files\Yuna Software now for Windows XP. I edited your file and fount the registry entry to change also. I changed HKLM\SOFTWARE\%WOW64%Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus! and it worked.
Please do not change stuff in those batch files if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
(and reading your other post I can safely assume that you do not fully understand the batch files or how they work in general.. no offense though)

So, please do not publish any information in how to change them like that, because that is not correct... You will find that by changing what you did it will not work on certain systems! On top of that there is a bug in the Log Viewer which makes that the Log Viewer and thus those batch files will not work like they should when you have entered a wrong password. As long as that bug is not fixed, it is kind of troublesome to use those batch files on large directories.**
Either way, the batch will be updated soonish anyways.

---

EDIT: ** that bug in the LogViewer has been fixed now

;)
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by fjkum on 08-24-2011 at 01:57 PM

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 and would like to only open up all my previously saved .ple encrypted chat logs.
How can I do that?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Sue Adel on 01-15-2013 at 10:28 PM

For some unknown reason every time I try to open my chat logs it says "Decryption failed please try again with another password chat log." Though I write my password I've checked a hundred times. My old chat logs won't open, though the latest ones work just fine.
I need help please.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Masterlynk007 on 01-16-2013 at 05:58 PM

Here is the thing, I used Messenger Plus! long time ago and i used the encrypted option for some logs, now I have returned to retrieve some of them and trash others, but it says I need a password...don't remember if in fact I protected them, still, I've been looking a way to open them....now I'm here. HELP!

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by CookieRevised on 01-16-2013 at 10:38 PM

As said countless and countless times in a gazzlion amount of threads and posts (hint: forum search function ftw!):

no, there is no way to decrypt a log without knowing the correct password, sorry...

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Sue Adel on 01-18-2013 at 08:31 PM

I know the password it says it's not right, why?

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by nathaliak on 02-10-2013 at 09:47 PM

Hello,

I've got a problem with decrypting the chatlogs.
I had to uninstall the Plus! a couple days ago, but I have some encrypted chatlogs. Now that i've reinstalled, I don't have access to them, because the password doesn't seem to be stored anymore.

Is there a way restore the files or the old password ?

Thanks.

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by ahmetgns on 02-17-2013 at 06:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nathaliak
Now that i've reinstalled, I don't have access to them, because the password doesn't seem to be stored anymore.
What does that bold sentence mean?

You can't open your chat logs unless you enter the correct password, that is another story.

This post was edited below this line a long time after it was originally posted, as a reply to the post below this one (this forum was dead at www.msghelp.net but Menthix has resurrected it and made it read-only so no new reply is allowed, but as you see I managed to edit a post of mine

DOWNLOAD LOG VIEWER.EXE HERE which you need to read your old chat logs

Plus! died a long time ago. But your chat log archive? Is it still alive like mine? On top of that, encrypted and want to keep them encrypted.

I have attached a ZIP file. It includes Log Viewer.exe and a registry entry file, and of course a Read Me.

Version of the Log Viewer.exe is 4.85.0.386 .

Registry entry file will add some essential entries to your registry compatibly with this Log Viewer.exe. Why? Because Log Viewer.exe has a Log Files
section where it lists the content of your log archive directory and it reads the directory's path from registry on the start up. So it adds the path information of your log archive to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live where this Log Viewer.exe reads data from. So yes, you will have to edit the file in order it to address your log archive. Tested on Windows XP. Default key paths preceding Patchou may differ on some newer or 64bit versions of Windows so if necessary take support from Google. DO NOT FORGET THIS!

I also have newer versions of Log Viewer.exe (of Messenger Plus! 6's  or of Messenger Plus! for Skype) however I could not make the registry tweak for them to list the log archive directory's content. Yet, not necessary, at least for me, since all my log archive is from the old version's times.
RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs by Crotia on 08-27-2013 at 02:50 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to get JUST the log viewer exe?

Thanks!