What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?
Author: Message:
zaidgs

– / Male / –
RE: Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?
quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBlast
that's how it works... just look at SMS; modern day girlfriends will get upset if you don't SMS them often enough. Just one of many things enforced upon you by society
so u are suggesting that SMS services should be closed?!?!
i dont think that if certain feature or service can be misused then it should not be made available in the first place; if we do things this way, technology will nvr prosper. a better way is to manage it through filters\options, and in our case disabling sounds. if sm1 wont like that its their problem, and maybe urs if their opinion concerns u.... in all cases, we just go ahead, not take back features.

also, i like all these personalization options that are kicking in: custom emoticons, animated emoticons, nudges, winks,,, and sounds will kick-in soon.... i kinda like the file transfer feature, but i think sounds make msn more fun, and thats the point of using it.
02-16-2005 11:52 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
XM4ST3RX

DJ Scoop!

37 / Male / –
Hi,

You are annoying... how dare you disrespect Messenger Plus!?...

First off, if u dont like it... dont bloody use it!!

Second off, maybe he removed the banner removal because he has a little respect for Microsoft. Respect works both ways.... if Patchou continued to add features which Microsoft really didnt like... then they would just try and make it harder and harder for Patchou in future versions of Messenger Plus!

Messenger Plus! has been a project Patchou has worked really, really hard on these past few years, and for someone who doesnt need to put no effort into it, and only needs to come here and disrespect it, thats just plain sad.

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX

p.s. little drunk while writing this post, so if it doesnt make sense a bit, please forgive me :P

This post was edited on 02-17-2005 at 12:20 AM by XM4ST3RX.
02-17-2005 12:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Snake

34 / Male / Flag
It may be annoying having the ads there but there is alot of patches that you can get to get rid of it. But like every one else said Patchou is right for taking it out, Patchou works hard for his money I think Microsoft deserves the money they make as well for the ads
[Image: sig.png]
02-18-2005 06:46 PM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBlast
As I've said above, you have to see the bigger picture. MSN is part of something much larger, and the money generated by ads is nothing compared to what msn does for microsoft.
It doesn't mean that I don't see why the ad-disable-option is taken out, but I'm just against it

You have to keep in mind that EVERY department at microsoft looses money except the operating system division. So every dollar counts for microsoft when it comes down to it these days.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
02-18-2005 07:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Cromp

The Sh*t has really hit the fan

RE: RE: Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?
quote:
Originally posted by wj
You have to keep in mind that EVERY department at microsoft looses money except the operating system division. So every dollar counts for microsoft when it comes down to it these days.

so office loses money? and many other programs they make?

i dont think microsoft cares for little $$ here and there, msn messenger is there along with hotmail, to create extra services and dependancy on microsoft.

MSN Messenger's features are connected to Windows Messenger features (i.e Remote Assistance and other Activities), Windows Messenger is connected to the os Windows XP, With Windows XP you get Windows Media Player, which is now, without the use of plugins, is now connected back to Msn Messenger.

Microsoft want the user to need/want all of there products, and to do this they create a circle of dependency, where each product works better with another.

MSN Messenger is just another way for users to want/need/like microsoft, they give it away for free, along with hotmail, and generate revenue from the ad's from within the Messenger, This probably doesnt cover all the costs of giving away the messenger for free, but it does account for some of it.
02-18-2005 08:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Snake

34 / Male / Flag
I'm Positive they lose more money on MSN Messenger and Hotmail for there free servise. But they will try anything to get a littel bit of $$ Rolling in.
[Image: sig.png]
02-18-2005 10:10 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by snake1131
But they will try anything to get a littel bit of $$ Rolling in.
If you had to choose between getting some money for a product you have spend way over 1000 hours on or not getting any money. What would you choose?
02-18-2005 10:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MPIS

Hey. I'm probably only gonna be here for this one post. I tried Messenger Plus and uninstalled it after 10 minutes. It had some nice features, and looked kinda cool. But the one thing that really - I mean REALLY pissed me off about it was the sounds. I don't want people sending me repetitive and intrusive sounds when I'm trying to listen to music or something. Why was there no way to disable them?

And why will the next version disable the ads? If Microsoft complained, fair enough, but if not - why?
quote:
I'm Positive they lose more money on MSN Messenger and Hotmail for there free servise.
Exactly. Windows and Office are the only two sections of Microsoft that actually make money. Surely any Firefox user who has had the vigilante pleasure of blocking every advert they see with AdBlock will know what I'm talking about.

And the little things. I couldn't get the sound scheme off. The archiving is too picky. To be honest, the whole thing feels like a gimmick

To sum up, Messenger Plus? Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Hey, call me a troll - but I'm just giving my opinion.
02-18-2005 11:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MPIS
Why was there no way to disable them?
There is: go to Plus! > Preferences > Instant Messages > Commands & Tags and disable "Allow sound commands".

quote:
why will the next version disable the ads? If Microsoft complained, fair enough, but if not - why?
Please see 'MSN advertisement banner' removal :)

I don't really understand what you mean with
quote:
I couldn't get the sound scheme off. The archiving is too picky.
Anyway, if there are millions of users, there are bound to be a few who dislike the program as well ;)
02-18-2005 11:34 PM
Belleza Fria

Quietstorm

38 / Female / –
I believe that everyone should express his/her opinion...but...please be logical about it? There ARE more less advanced users who use Plus!. And most of those I know use it for entertainment. They love the sounds and the nick color.
...I thought Patchou Explained it all ( the AD banner). If you haven't realized MSN plans on getting revenue out of MSN messenger...Like it or not. I just hope we never have to pay to enable any of the new features coming up. :|
[Image: flamingtext_com_1109260570_18956.gif ]
02-22-2005 06:00 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: