What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?
Author: Message:
DeltaBlast

Wheeee!

37 / Male / –
O.P. Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?
I'm sure I'll appear on people's deathlist now I made a topic with that title, but hear me out :)

I just read the news item "Messenger Plus! 3.50 is on its way with a big surprise! " and when I was done reading, I decided to create this topic.

My first point: "The one and only exception is the removal of the "hide banner" option (MSN Messenger 7 only)"

Did Microsoft sue you or something? I mean, why the hell would you want to remove that option. That option was the sole reason for me and all of my friends to install plus. The other features were nice, but that one was the most important of all.

My second point: Those new features... custom emotion sounds? wtf? I do not want little brats to annoy me with stupid sounds all the time. I'm sure it's disableable, but why would you even waste time programming something like that in? I (and many many MANY people with me) would rather see something useful, like an improved file transfer system with resume support (I know it's probably not possible to change msn's current file system, but it IS possible to create a new kind of transfer system, like you would have the option to choose between the original system for transferring to non-plus users, but use the plus, actually working, file transfer system to transmit to other plus users).

So what I'm saying, that in my opinion with the arrival of 3.5, plus wil only become LESS useful, as the number one future is taken out, and pointless, even annoying features are added.

That's my opinion and I'll probably get flamed to death, but I think the opposition should be heard as well, instead of only worship posts ;)
ÐeltaBlast
Firemarble.com

He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
~
M.C. Escher
02-13-2005 02:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
spokes

I <3 Rollerblading

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?
i think you have to press a play sound button before it plays it, so people won't be able to annoy yo too easily ;)

[Image: sig15ws.png]
02-13-2005 02:32 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

The hide ad banner was removed because patchou felt msn could use the money by the sponsors or whatever. You can use Stuffplug to get rid of the ad banner now...

Custom emotion sounds are for the enjoyment of people, come on, msn wouldn't be fun without features like this, plus, like you said,  you can disable the sounds, and there are more useful features in messenger plus!, i can assure you of this, its not getting less useful, its getting more useful and at the same time, more fun. You can download the plugin 'File Transfer plus' from The Messenger Plus! Plugins Database, its basically a better transfer plugin.

You may be flamed, but as you said, its your opinion, and everybody has the right to an opinion.
02-13-2005 02:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBlast
My first point: "The one and only exception is the removal of the "hide banner" option (MSN Messenger 7 only)"

Did Microsoft sue you or something? I mean, why the hell would you want to remove that option. That option was the sole reason for me and all of my friends to install plus. The other features were nice, but that one was the most important of all.
as he has posted, he has chosen to  remove this feaure becuase msn need the adds to make money. If they didn't get the money then it would end up with messenger been a paid for service. Don't forget that it is a free service, so you can't complain about a few ads

quote:
My second point: Those new features... custom emotion sounds? wtf? I do not want little brats to annoy me with stupid sounds all the time. I'm sure it's disableable, but why would you even waste time programming something like that in? I
because most people go on msn to talk to friends and have a laugh with them, so many many people with love this feature !!

quote:
would rather see something useful, like an improved file transfer system with resume support (I know it's probably not possible to change msn's current file system, but it IS possible to create a new kind of transfer system, like you would have the option to choose between the original system for transferring to non-plus users, but use the plus, actually working, file transfer system to transmit to other plus users).
not many users would need such a feature, yes it maybe nice to have a feature like that, but patchou can't do 10 things at once and from going on his stats (which are send automacially) he has found out then lots of people use the current sounds, she he has chosen to improve that.

quote:
So what I'm saying, that in my opinion with the arrival of 3.5, plus wil only become LESS useful, as the number one future is taken out, and pointless, even annoying features are added.
well patchou can only go on his stats, and as i've said lots of people like the sound feature

quote:
That's my opinion and I'll probably get flamed to death
no you won't (well u shouldn't be), everyones allowed there opinion
quote:
but I think the opposition should be heard as well, instead of only worship posts
this my post fits that, its not a workship post :P

quote:
Originally posted by spokes
i think you have to press a play sound button before it plays it, so people won't be able to annoy yo too easily ;)

no it does it antomacially, but u can change that

This post was edited on 02-13-2005 at 02:40 PM by toddy.
02-13-2005 02:38 PM
DeltaBlast

Wheeee!

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?
Seriously, microsoft needs more money? Don't make me laugh. And as for them making msn a paid service; they will never ever do that. People will just flock to a different IM program. Just look at the history of other things that went that way, like Napster for example.

So I absolutely don't agree with that part :p

for the sound; even if I disable it, people will still try to send such sounds, and then become angry at me because I have disabled it. (that's how it works... just look at SMS; modern day girlfriends will get upset if you don't SMS them often enough. Just one of many things enforced upon you by society :))

For file transfers: I think more people would want such a feature than sounds. But stats cannot see that, because it isn't part of plus.

On the subject of stats, how were they generated? Automatically, or did the user have the option to disable it? If disableable, I'd say that the stats aren't that objective, as it are the more advanced users that disable it, and they like other things than kiddies with sounds ;)
But that's just speculation ;)

edit: I also just installed the file transfer plugin.. now I'll have to convince others to do the same so I can actually use it :p

This post was edited on 02-13-2005 at 02:50 PM by DeltaBlast.
ÐeltaBlast
Firemarble.com

~
M.C. Escher
02-13-2005 02:47 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Seriously, microsoft needs more money? Don't make me laugh. And as for them making msn a paid service; they will never ever do that. People will just flock to a different IM program. Just look at the history of other things that went that way, like Napster for example.

so just because its microsoft you expect them to do it for free, coz "they already have enough money" (thats bascially wot your thinkin), microsoft is a business like any other business, they aim is to make money, not lose money. so you can't expect them to provide messenger for nothing with out them having a way of makin money.

quote:
for the sound; even if I disable it, people will still try to send such sounds, and then become angry at me because I have disabled it
if they are your friends, then they will understand
quote:
For file transfers: I think more people would want such a feature than sounds.
well i totally disagree, and i think many members would agree with
me. more advanced users would probably like something like this rather then sounds, but there will be alot less advanced users. so a ver large percentage of the users will love the new feature
quote:
as it are the more advanced users that disable it,
not true at all, the more advanced users will know how much the stats are need to inporve the program !! and i guess that very very few people have the stats turned off

This post was edited on 02-13-2005 at 03:00 PM by toddy.
02-13-2005 02:57 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
I think that Patchou has his reasons for removing the 'Hide the ad banner' feature. Microsoft do include ads for a reason, to help pay for the free service they provide. Regardless of whether Microsoft do or do not require more money is immaterial. So Patchou has decided to be kind to Microsoft and leave out the hide ad feature in the upcoming version. As previously mentioned, you can use StuffPlug 2.0 to hide the ads.

One of the goals of Plus has been to never touch the Messenger Protocol. I am not sure how including a file transfer manager might alter this goal. If you already have Plus, check out File Transfer Plus which is excellent for file transfers over MSN. Its only flaw is that not everybody has it installed. So spread the word!

Patchou has suggested that more advanced users might not find the sounds that useful, but I think they will be great for everyone. Remember there are probably not that many uber-l33t people using Plus and it should cater for everyone.

There are still plenty of other features in Plus that are really useful. Remember, Patchou hasn't reported the full list of changes in 3.50 so there are still some surprises in store for us all :)
02-13-2005 02:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
DeltaBlast, i'll explain you:

Patchou doesn't have a "regular job", all money he earns is from freelance programming. Probally 95% of all his cash comes from the Messenger Plus! sponsor. Patchou would never be able to do this if MSN didn't exsist.

Microsoft sure does earn money in a lot of ways, but when you only look at MSN Messenger, Microsoft probally gets something like 95% of their MSN earnings trough the advertising in ther program.

Now why would it be fair for Patchou to remove advertising in Messenger and replace that whith his sponsor? That way Patchou will earn a living while he is destroying MSN Messeger, and after all... Plus! can't exsist without MSN Messenger.

There are thousands of other ways to get rid of the ads, Plus! really isn't unique in this. On the other hand custom sounds is something really unique. I am a beta tester and can tell you it's something never seen before in any kind of IM program. I know sound features  are not that l33t... but Patchou created this feature in the first place becausae his statistics show that Sound Emotions is the number one used feature in his program, so sure there will be alot of people liking it.

Also, custom sound is not the only new thing in 3.50. I think everybody will find something nice when it comes out :).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-13-2005 03:08 PM
DeltaBlast

Wheeee!

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Am I the only one that thinks msg plus is going in the wrong direction?
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
so just because its microsoft you expect them to do it for free, coz "they already have enough money" (thats bascially wot your thinkin), microsoft is a business like any other business, they aim is to make money, not lose money. so you can't expect them to provide messenger for nothing with out them having a way of makin money.
>>>Actually, it's like handing out samples; you lose money by doing so, but you drag people into the MS world. Microsoft would rather have you use their program for free than someone else's program. The money for the ads is just extra :)

if they are your friends, then they will understand
>>> but how about potential friends? :p MSN is also used for meeting people you don't know yet, and stuff like this could lead to a bad start :p

well i totally disagree, and i think many members would agree with
me. more advanced users would probably like something like this rather then sounds, but there will be alot less advanced users. so a ver large percentage of the users will love the new feature
>>> As far as I know almost everyonethat uses MSN has used the file transfer at some time. But only a small percentage uses sounds. Like I said, it's a non-plus item so it isn't measurable. but because non-plus users also use file transfer, it's safe to say that there are MANY more people that use file transfer than sounds :)

not true at all, the more advanced users will know how much the stats are need to inporve the program !! and i guess that very very few people have the stats turned off
>>> Actually, I don't know anyone who has it turned on. People don't like stuff being sent over the internet without you knowing. It can cause lag n stuff ;)

Answers in quote ;)

Jeronimo> Ithink most of my above messages already answer you, especially the part where I said that I just downloaded that file transfer plugin ;)

Menthix> As I've said above, you have to see the bigger picture. MSN is part of something much larger, and the money generated by ads is nothing compared to what msn does for microsoft.
It doesn't mean that I don't see why the ad-disable-option is taken out, but I'm just against it :)
ÐeltaBlast
Firemarble.com

~
M.C. Escher
02-13-2005 03:13 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Menthix> As I've said above, you have to see the bigger picture. MSN is part of something much larger, and the money generated by ads is nothing compared to what msn does for microsoft.
It doesn't mean that I don't see why the ad-disable-option is taken out, but I'm just against it
wot bigger pocture.......wot does messenger do for microsoft ??? i bet theres alot of n00bs that don't even know that msn is owned/run by microsoft

quote:
>>>Actually, it's like handing out samples; you lose money by doing so, but you drag people into the MS world. Microsoft would rather have you use their program for free than someone else's program. The money for the ads is just extra
already answered with about
quote:
MSN is also used for meeting people you don't know yet, and stuff like this could lead to a bad start
meeting people :dodgy: its mainly just used to talk to friends that you already know

quote:
>>> Actually, I don't know anyone who has it turned on. People don't like stuff being sent over the internet without you knowing. It can cause lag n stuff
its a small text file with 1's and 0's, which is sent once a month......majour lag ;) :P

This post was edited on 02-13-2005 at 03:19 PM by toddy.
02-13-2005 03:15 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: