What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error
Author: Message:
slicertool

RE: iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error
I had a similar issue when using a 3rd party cable.  I swapped over to using the apple cable from my other computer and it worked fine at that point.

The 3rd party cable had been working perfectly fine on my old work laptop before I got upgraded to a new machine.

So, when in doubt, change cables.  It's cheaper than a new iPod.

(Btw, this was with an 80GB iPod Classic 5th Gen)
12-10-2008 10:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Shayne

~Woot~

34 / Male / Flag
Also had this problem for around a year now. I have a first or Second Generation Ipod. What I found that was causing the main problem was the Apple USB Plug. Yesterday I got a new 120GB Classic and used it's plug on my old Nano and straight away it worked without any issues what so ever.

I've also found that on my 2 Compaq Presario Laptops, that the left hand side Usb port won't detect the Ipod for some odd reason, I dunno if it's shear bad luck, or it's a common issue with Compaq Laptops.
[Image: 223322ab1.jpg]
12-12-2008 01:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Juxe

I was having the same problem as the OP, my solution was to go to device manager (i'm using XP) and delete everything listed under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers.' Then I clicked the button to search for hardware changes and let Windows reinstall all my USB root hubs and motherboard drivers. After this my iPod worked without an issue.
12-26-2008 06:37 PM
dzee

34 / Male / Flag
yea i have the same problem and i have literally tried everything and still no luck. =/

can ANYONE PLEASE HELPP ME??
12-28-2008 09:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by dzee
yea i have the same problem and i have literally tried everything and still no luck. =/

can ANYONE PLEASE HELPP ME??
Excert from a personal message:

What you need to do is turn the iPod on (while connected to a back port of a PC [the port has to be a powered port]). When you see the Apple logo press and hold the Play/Pause and Select buttons on the click wheel. This will put the iPod into Disk Mode. Let it charge as needed. The unknown device is generally because the USB port no longer recognizes the powered device. However if this happens on multiple computers (where you receive "Unknown Device") then the USB controller of the iPod is screwed and will need to go in for service.

Once the iPod was fully charged and reset the device functioned correctly on the computer.

Cheers,
Your Resident iPod Expert lol

This post was edited on 12-30-2008 at 06:14 PM by matty.
12-30-2008 06:13 PM
jnicewonder

Grin  RE: iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error
I had this happen with mine as well, and as luck may have it, I was finally able to get it working again. Go in to your device manager, go to your usb devices and delete your usb root hubs. The computer will delete and reinstall automatically, and low and behold my ipod works again. HOpe this helps!:D
08-24-2009 11:31 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: