What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs

Pages: (9): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs
Author: Message:
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs
How to modify chatlogs from the commandline

You can encrypt/decrypt existing logs (and more) from the commandline (Start > Run) with the logviewer application:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=814456]
Results of run > "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /?

Note: strings which contain spaces need to be inside quotes. eg:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /encrypt="c:\my logs\contact1@hotmail.com.txt" /pwd="my password"

Most used

Decrypt:
Start > run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /decrypt="<full path to log that needs to be decrypted>"
<enter>
You will be prompted for the (old) password.

Note: the original encrypted file will not be deleted, you will have to do that manually.

Encrypt:
Start > Run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /encrypt="<full path to the log that needs encrypting>" /pwd="my password"
<enter>
Replace "my password" with your password.

Note: the original unencrypted file will not be deleted, you will have to do that manually.

If you need to decrypt and/or encrypt more than one file then the DecryptAll.bat (decrypting) and/or EncryptAll.bat (encrypting) included in DecryptEncryptAll.zip made by CookieRevised may be of help. These batch files will decrypt or encrypt all the log files of Messenger Plus! Live which exist in a folder and its subfolders when run from inside that folder (these also delete the original logfiles after successful decrypting/encrypting).

Changing password on encrypted files:
For chatlogs made with Plus!Live (any build):

Start > Run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /changepwd="C:\MyLogs\contactemail@hotmail.com.ple" /newpwd="test"
<enter>
You will be prompted to fill in the old password.

(replace "C:\MyLogs\contactemail@hotmail.com.ple" with the full path to the logfile you wish to alter the pw for and "test" with your new password. Note: strings wich contain spaces need to be put inside quotes)

Now for logs made with Plus!3 it's a different story, you will need to decrypt them and then re-encrypt them with the new password (see above howto). The logs will then not be readable by Plus!3 anymore, in other words if you still use Plus!3 at some point and log the chats Plus!3 will create a new log, not add to the one you altered.

Explanation other optional switches:
  • /Dest - Destination, use this switch if you wish to put the endfile in another folder or use another filename.
    Requires full path + filename including extension (.ple for encrypted, .txt for unencrypted files)
  • /KeySize - to alter/set the encryption strenght of the file
    Without, logs will be encrypted at strength set in Plus > Preferences > Conversations > Logs Encryption
  • /Overwrite - overwrites file if a file with the same name already exists
  • /Partial - makes sure everything possible from an encrypted file gets decrypted if the log got corrupted. Not using /Partial would result in an error and no output file whereas with /Partial the parts that didn't get corrupted will be written to a file.
  • /Hint - to set a password hint

.png File Attachment: PlusLogviewerCommandline.png (23.49 KB)
This file has been downloaded 54500 time(s).

This post was edited on 08-05-2008 at 10:38 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-06-2007 02:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
watani11

RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs
what can u do if u have lost<forgot> the password??
01-29-2008 07:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
Chat Log password...plz!
chat logs encryption
Chat Log Encryption Problem

In short, you can't do anything if you don't have the password.
There wouldn't be much point of having a password if it could be bypassed, would it?
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
01-29-2008 07:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
cvera

I use a password to encrypt my log files. I want to be asked for the password from the first time I press view chat logs. Now when you press view chat logs, it open the chat organizer windows ans you are able to see all contacs and existing chat files which is not what I want.

Then you choose one contact and to see the chat content you are asked for the password.. but this is not what i want because i do not want anybody using my PC know that I record my chat and with wich contacts I did it

Some suggestion?
carlos
02-09-2008 09:46 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
You cannot prevent other people using your Windows account from knowing that you record your conversations.

Set a passwod for your Windows account (Control panel>User Accounts>your account name>Set a password) and if it asks you*1, make your My Documents folder hidden for other accounts, then create a new account for other people who use your computer (Control panel>User Accounts>Create a new account)

(*1) If it doesn't ask, then it means your hard disk's file system is not NTFS. You can convert it without losing any file, open Start>Programs>Accessories>Command ...., then type in the black window "convert [your hard disk's letter, most of the time C]: /fs:ntfs" without quotation marks and hit Enter.

Example:

convert C: /fs:ntfs

It will be converted next time your computer is started.
02-09-2008 11:07 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Encrypt:
Start > Run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /encrypt="<full path to the log that needs encrypting>" /pwd="my password"
<enter>
Replace "my password" with your password.
I noticed that while encrypting files with this command line, we don't need to enter our password at the end of the command line. Because if we don't type any password there, Log Viewer's "Password Required" window pops-up and asks for the password which will be used to encrypt the file. And when you type your password in that window, it encrypts the file with that password successfully. So Patchou, you can consider surrounding /Pwd=password item with brackets in the Accepted Command Line Arguments window like:

quote:
/Encrypt=srcfile [/Pwd=password] [/Dest=dstfile]...
I think this would be more useful to keep the pwd secret because command line window keeps a history of things entered there and other people may see the password there.
02-29-2008 08:47 AM
laymunaa

Hey

I have a problem :(

I would like to send the encripted logfiles to some friends as a file via MSN, but it is not possible, cause my freinds dont have the logviewer, and so i wanted to cobvert the file in an html file! is that possible? Or ist it possible to send my freind the files without that they install the log viewer?

Thanks
03-06-2008 06:58 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by laymunaa
Hey

I have a problem :(

I would like to send the encripted logfiles to some friends as a file via MSN, but it is not possible, cause my freinds dont have the logviewer, and so i wanted to cobvert the file in an html file! is that possible? Or ist it possible to send my freind the files without that they install the log viewer?

Thanks
Sunshine were explaining exactly the required procedure you must follow in the beginning of this thread :/ Decrypt them and send them! (Once they're decrypted, they will be html or txt according to their format and they'll be able to be opened by your friends without the need of logviewer.)

Also feel free to share Messenger Plus! Live with your friends ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Most used

Decrypt:
Start > run
type:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" /decrypt="<full path to log that needs to be decrypted>"
<enter>
You will be prompted for the (old) password.

Note: the original encrypted file will not be deleted, you will have to do that manually.

03-06-2008 07:21 PM
Desert Rose22

hi,
can someone help me please. im trying to open my msn chat log but after i enter the password i get a box saying
(This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. Creat an association in the Set Associations control panel.)

i have no idea what to do, any help would be appreciated.
thanx :)
03-26-2008 09:16 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
It seems to me that the Log Viewer.exe is missing on your system or something else. I think reinstalling Messenger Plus! Live is the first and easiest thing you can try to solve the problem..

This post was edited on 03-26-2008 at 09:33 PM by ahmetgns.
03-26-2008 09:30 PM
Pages: (9): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: