What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware?

ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware?
Author: Message:
Jimmyheb

RE: RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware?
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The search bar installed by the sponsor is adware, not spyware, there's a big difference between those two terms and unfortuantely, many people seem to forget that.

The setup of Messenger Plus! 3.60 has been modified to be even more clear than it already is, however, the "I refuse" option will not be checked by default (there's no reason why it should be as most other people check "yes" by default).

Hello Patchou,
First f.y.i., I'm not a computer expert, just a amature with VERY basic computing knowlegde. A friend of mine referred me to your application Messenger Plus! and recommended to install it on my computer. I try to be carefull with installing new applications I do not know, so I did a search on the net to see what people say about your appl. I was shocked by the amount of flag it got mainly because of the 'optional' adware the setup contains. I have no problems with adware, certainly not if there is a clear opt-out option and I'm not one to believe everything people say at first glance, so I searched further. The result was a very long list of forums and other sites that were very critical of the association between your appl. and Lop. There were very few complaints/critiques about the technical features of your appl. Almost all of it had to do with the association with Lop. I didn't know this Lop, so I decided to do a search on Lop. Well I must say that what came up was not prettty.
To keep it short (it's to long allready sorry for that), I do not know whether the uggly stuff about Lop is true or not, but purely from a marketing/PR point of view I do not understand why you would want to have your product associated with a company that obviously gets a lot of adverse publicity. Thus making your appl. - in the eyes of many - look 'suspect' if not 'guilty' by association. As I said before I try not to believe everything I read on the net, but when confronted with the amount of bad publicity Lop gets - even from generaly well known and reasonably well respected parties - even some one like me starts doubting. And since I try to follow the rule of better being safe then sorry, where the internet is concerned, chances are that I will not install an apparently very good appl. because of all the bad publicity. If I was a comp. expert, I would take the chance and install it any way. Because if anything went wrong I would know how to fix it. But I'm completely dependent on the expertese of others to solve any comp. problems I get. Have you ever considered ending the associaton between your appl. and Lop? With a product this good (according to my friend and many others) there certainly must be another company/sponsor or whatever you want to call it, with a better reputation, with whom you could do business?
Sorry for the VERY long msg, but I realy want to know your opinion. Thanks in advance if you decide to answer.
Jimmy
10-13-2005 05:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by enriquez_rene on 09-07-2005 at 01:15 AM
RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by Patchou on 09-07-2005 at 01:19 AM
RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by lordy on 09-07-2005 at 06:46 AM
RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by shinji on 09-10-2005 at 09:35 PM
RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by lordy on 09-11-2005 at 01:35 AM
RE: RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by Jimmyheb on 10-13-2005 at 05:05 PM
RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by user27089 on 10-13-2005 at 05:28 PM
RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by CookieRevised on 10-13-2005 at 11:39 PM
RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by Jimmyheb on 10-16-2005 at 11:36 AM
RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by CookieRevised on 10-16-2005 at 03:23 PM
RE: RE: ive never installed the toolbar but is it spyware? - by Jimmyheb on 10-16-2005 at 07:43 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: