What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » An attempt to stop skin ripping

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 » Last »
An attempt to stop skin ripping
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
well in microsoft office you can set a read only password on your files so people can view them but cannot save the changes they make, so maybe plus can do something along those lines
That would work to some extent, but there's still the option of copying it manually. Takes a lot longer but is a lot easier than learning how to do everything yourself. Also what if the xml file was opened on a different operating system which does not apply the read only attributes that windows will. It could happen. 8-)
04-06-2008 10:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping
Hmm well if someone did want to go to that much effort to edit a skin yes it is possible :P

I just don't think Patchou will want to spend the effort in adding in advanced content protection systems in just for skins. I'm sure he'd rather spend his energy trying to figure out better things.

I am just hopeful that what I will do will help the situation. I know it won't totally stop it, I'm not a fool.

So here is my goal:

Get Windows Live Messenger to a state where it was like in MSN Messenger 7.5. Where all main images were pngs, no MSNRLEs, no vista only images, no 4006 group dependency.

I will simplify changing text colors by making it controlled via skininfo so that you don't have to open multiple files to edit the one thing. The same goes for the min max and close buttons.

If people don't want that, well too bad :P I'm doing it because it benefits me to get something that efficient going as well, not just newbies and other skinners.

This post was edited on 04-06-2008 at 10:37 AM by Willz.
04-06-2008 10:34 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
I quite like Shawnz' idea too (Y)
The only problem is you're essentially creating a skin of a skin which seems a bit dodgy :p

Also, I don't really see how this would really deter/prevent people from ripping skins, but it is a good suggestion never the less.
You make a skin X. I make a mod called X.mod
X has a.jpg; I mod it to a.mod.jpg

Now my mod installer has a replacement for a.jpg from X and nothing else so Plus! will start first load my mod's replacement file list, then start loading skin X till it reaches a file that's on my list. Once it does so, it loads my file instead of yours into memory and voila :o
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
04-06-2008 11:05 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
The only problem is you're essentially creating a skin of a skin which seems a bit dodgy :p

Also, I don't really see how this would really deter/prevent people from ripping skins, but it is a good suggestion never the less.

Now my mod installer has a replacement for a.jpg from X and nothing else so Plus! will start first load my mod's replacement file list, then start loading skin X till it reaches a file that's on my list. Once it does so, it loads my file instead of yours into memory and voila :o
Don't see how that's relevant to my post whatsoever, but okay :p
04-06-2008 11:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
I posted it above but no one saw it cause me, willz and Aardvark posted on the same time. Anyway, what if Plus! could let the creator insert a code in the .xml. Doing so, only the creator and people who got permission from him would be able to open it. Thoughts?
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
04-06-2008 11:15 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I posted it above but no one saw it cause me, willz and Aardvark posted on the same time. Anyway, what if Plus! could let the creator insert a code in the .xml. Doing so, only the creator and people who got permission from him would be able to open it. Thoughts?

wrong. like scientology in technology form.
04-06-2008 11:17 AM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
you know a lot of what has been discussed above is primarily focus on prevention of the problem occuring in the future, while thats good and all and goes part way to solving the issue if a skin ripper is determined to rip what is really going to stop them, perhaps what we need is harsher sentences for those who are caught ripping, is just not letting it into the database enough?

for example if a skinner is caught ripping from another skin then issue them a fine, money collected from the fines then goes to patchou to help pay for things like the site and stuff this could mean patchou getting as much money out of fines for skin ripping as he gets out of the sponsor, if people are fined for ripping then its a bit more of an effective deterant than just saying you cant have it listed in the database.
04-06-2008 11:18 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

Don't see how that's relevant to my post whatsoever, but okay :p
I meant to quote ShawnZ saying "its Patchou's problem \o/" :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
04-06-2008 11:20 AM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett

for example if a skinner is caught ripping from another skin then issue them a fine, money collected from the fines then goes to patchou to help pay for things like the site and stuff this could mean patchou getting as much money out of fines for skin ripping as he gets out of the sponsor, if people are fined for ripping then its a bit more of an effective deterant than just saying you cant have it listed in the database.

ROFL...... yeah um :P I hate rippers and all but lets be serious I really really don't think we have the authority to do anything like that and yeah..... lol enforcing it????? Do we have like a secret organisation to track rippers and make them pay up or something.

That sort of thing would deter people from the community more than anything else.

In fact it would put me off :P

But yeah its good to get peoples input on this issue. Although I sorta wanted to hear like what people wanted to see done in the skin but oh well this is good too :P
04-06-2008 11:24 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Although I sorta wanted to hear like what people wanted to see done in the skin but oh well this is good too :p
lol
Well then, I think most importantly you should ensure that the 'basic skin' places minimal limitations on creativity - skinners using this skin should be able to do everything they currently can without being guided down any specific design paths (for example, it seems centering conversation toolbar icons is becoming a bit too popular in skins these days so I would prefer if there was nothing which kinda led or promoted people to include this feature, such as the preset options you proposed to create). I think the last thing we want is 500 identical and generic skins with a couple of different pics and text colours separating them :p

This post was edited on 04-06-2008 at 11:34 AM by Volv.
04-06-2008 11:31 AM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: