What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » I'm alive!

Pages: (10): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 » Last »
2 votes - 4.5 average   I'm alive!
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Uhh... you mean, give it a option to disable scripting?

I think Patchou was already planning that... almost anything in Plus is optional.
Wich is good, becaus if you like it or not, scripting will allow users to create their own thing... some users just do create evil thing... you can't  stop that... but you can stop those evil scripts from executing on your pc if it's optionally :)

But please, not two seperate versions of Plus or any.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-01-2002 08:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
As i know nothing about VBscript... can someone tell me, how damaging scripts can be to your computer? For example, someone sends yu a script "hey try this one, its cool!" and you load it onto messenger, and god knows what... would something like that be possible? or not?
10-01-2002 08:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Gergith

38 / Male / –
Hey Patchou! im glad to see that your back, but there is ONE thing i request of you, EASTER EGGS!!! :-p hehe, who knows, just keep up the great work, and please dont release it before it should be released, which im sure you will do! ya, about the scripting, its your choice, i really dont think that scripting would be too usefull at all!

Another thing, Ginge, you think you will be up to another chat log reader, or a modification, if its kept the same, and there is no reader?

thanks!
Gergith!
10-01-2002 08:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
I've seen that reader, it's really a nice work and it's funny because my first public software was a log viewer for IRC logs. Anyway, for scripting, yes it will be an option (I suppose, disabled by default so you don't have to worry) and no there won't be two different versions of MP2. However, for the scripting dependies (the Windows Scripting Host), I still don't know what to do... do you think I should install it everytime on any system (it won't damage your system.. it will just update it so it's good for security, my concern is that the package is 750Kb) or should I put is as an install option? if it'S an install option, the problem is that you won't be able to enable scripting after install or you will have to go and download the package by yourself on Microsoft web site.. I could jsut give the link... well, tell me what you think.

Concerning the fact that "almost" everything is an option in Plus!, be happy, in the new version you can say that "everything" is an option :)
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-01-2002 11:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Gergith

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Concerning the fact that "almost" everything is an option in Plus!, be happy, in the new version you can say that "everything" is an option :)

so your saying that, i could have it so the program is useless cause everything is disabled, yet still running? :-p
10-02-2002 12:31 AM
Muss
Former Moderator

This Is The Start To A New Era

38 / Other / –
Patchou, about the progress thing, wouldn't it be better to have it here on the board :huh:

Werent' you getting too much traffic through your site as it was, with that on there alot more people will go there  :undecided:
10-02-2002 01:33 AM
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
quote:
However, for the scripting dependies (the Windows Scripting Host), I still don't know what to do... do you think I should install it everytime on any system (it won't damage your system.. it will just update it so it's good for security, my concern is that the package is 750Kb) or should I put is as an install option? if it'S an install option, the problem is that you won't be able to enable scripting after install or you will have to go and download the package by yourself on Microsoft web site.. I could jsut give the link... well, tell me what you think.

I think you shouldn't include it in MP2. Just provide a link to download from Site as u said. Keeping down the size of MP2 is much better
10-02-2002 04:42 AM
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
As i know nothing about VBscript... can someone tell me, how damaging scripts can be to your computer? For example, someone sends yu a script "hey try this one, its cool!" and you load it onto messenger, and god knows what... would something like that be possible? or not?

Even I'm interested to know more about this. As far as I understood, VB Script is not as powerful as VB and have special object to access your files unlike VB for security reasons. But with thsi Objects it is possible to create havoc in your file system. Could even get your passwords  :sad: . It depends on how much accessibility is given by Patchou. BECAUSE ultimately plus COULD BE USED AS A MASK by malicious programmers. The trustworthiness of plus could be exploited by them.
10-02-2002 05:24 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
do you think I should install it everytime on any system (it won't damage your system.. it will just update it so it's good for security, my concern is that the package is 750Kb)
Don't supply it as part of MP2, increasing the size of Plus! only for scripting is not a good thing.
But windows scripting host is supplied with almost every windows, isn't it? So basicly almost everybody will already have scripting host installed, just an outdated one.
Why not disable scripting by default.. then, when somebody decides to enable scripting, let Plus! check if Scripting Host is installed and which version, and if SH is outdated give the user a message about it that is wise to update SH because of possible security flaws in the old SH versions.
If SH is not installed give the user a message about that too, and why they will need SH, and where the can download it/ how to install.
Either way... be sure you explain the user about the possible risks of scripting, especially when exchanging scripts with other users, the risk is probaly not THAT high, but you don't wanna be blamed for crashed systems/hacked account, do you? :P

For downloading link, just provide a link to the page where Microsoft supplies SH then it won't heart site's bandwith, and users will be sure of the latest version.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-02-2002 10:27 AM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
Someone want to make an official comment on what me and shine said? Or is this an issue not worth worrying about?
10-02-2002 12:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (10): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: