What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » MP2 is progressing

Pages: (18): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
2 votes - 3 average   MP2 is progressing
Author: Message:
Gergith

38 / Male / –
just a sugestion about the whole keeping suggestions in the regestry.. um, well, i personally think the regestry was the worst thing microsoft ever put in windows.. maybe it would be alot nicer if you had an .ini file, or something of that sort.. so it would make it 100 times easier if you have to re-install plus, or winodws, or giving all your settings to friends, or something like that.. just makes it easier, and nicer i find.. and alot more clean.. but thtats just me, and you are the programer!
10-16-2002 10:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
Sorry I disagree. First, if you give Messenger Plus! to your friends, you must give them the installation package. For preferences, I prefer everyone to check for themselves what they want and what they don't want.

The registry is a great thing. Ini files have their own strength but the registry has data types and allows an infinite number of sub directories to be created.
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-17-2002 02:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
Btw, who are the ones who tried to add me to their list using the email showed in the capture ? lol
Blame Patchou, he displayed it. :grin:
10-17-2002 12:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
ssshhhhhttttttt  .....  :lipsrsealed:
10-17-2002 02:18 PM
BRAiN

kewl...thnx for the update

if i find an exchange check for mp2 you are the first to know
10-18-2002 08:06 AM
Gergith

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Sorry I disagree. First, if you give Messenger Plus! to your friends, you must give them the installation package. For preferences, I prefer everyone to check for themselves what they want and what they don't want.

The registry is a great thing. Ini files have their own strength but the registry has data types and allows an infinite number of sub directories to be created.

hehe, i guess im still bitter about the days when the registry could get easily fuxored, and it meant your computer was screwedn from then on
10-18-2002 12:17 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
I understand your point of view then... but you know, the registry is much more protected that ini files... modify a ini file without backing it up and you're screwed for life. The registry has two automatic backup, which are done everytime you start Windows, so you still have a chance to undo your actions.

In any case, modifying a ini or the registry without knowing the result is risky, you can do it, why not, but don't blame Microsoft for it :).

Peace  :grin:
10-18-2002 07:34 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The registry has two automatic backup, which are done everytime you start Windows, so you still have a chance to undo your actions.

How would you undo something then? Just restart and not shut down properly? :undecided:
10-19-2002 08:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ginge

BetterMSN Author

42 / Male / –
Or you could use an XML file instead of a .ini, that way you get heirarchical storage, advanced "stuff" (XPath, XInclude, XSL, lots of other achronims starting with X, ...), W3C standards, and it isn't in the registry - which I personally hate.

Anyway - if Patchou does a registry storage for extra attributes I'm sure I can write a quick editor for them, any chance of a button in the options dialog to run an "extra settings" program?
10-19-2002 01:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
How would you undo something then? Just restart and not shut down properly? :undecided: 
In Win98 you can type scanreg /restore from the DOS prompt.
10-19-2002 04:40 PM
Pages: (18): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: