What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website »

Pages: (20): « First « 10 11 12 13 [ 14 ] 15 16 17 18 » Last »
Author: Message:
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
:rolleyes:  It's true and people who are allowed to vote should be allowed to vote as many times as they like for that person as opinions do change , quite rapidly in fact
Well, instead of voting multiple times, the vote could just be changed... :rolleyes:
01-11-2004 11:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
the vote could just be changed

that seems best.....

01-11-2004 11:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
that seems best.....
Urrh do you people read my suggestion or not? :P

Yes, the vote should be unique per user and changeable at any time.
01-12-2004 03:41 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Well, I'm not saying I don't like Guido's suggestion, but it would be quite a bit of work to completely change the reputation system like that. Also, as I said before, a user's posts are what should give you your opinion of a user, because this is a forum, so it makes tons of sense to have the reputation based on posts.

I think we need a poll, and I'll post one, but first, I'd like to get a list of the advantages and disadvantages of the regular reputation system, and Guido's suggestion. I don't want to just tell everyone to read this thread, because it's huge. :^)
01-12-2004 04:24 AM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
Good idea.

Some points (didn't think much time about them, and i might be a bit biased :P, so feel free to add)

Mybb Reputation System:
Pros:
-Handy to vote on each post.
Cons:
-As it is based in a fixed image meter, it won't be shown if there is not a high number of votes and it's not representative of the number of users that voted about the user.
-As everyone can vote on every post, the system can be abused in order to put someone's reputation down if he is hated by another user. The same happens with positive reputation.

My suggestion :P
Pros:
-People can read exactly what people think about someone and why they rate them positively or negatively.
-Neutral reputations are useful for kind "warnings" when you see someone is not behaving very well or something bothers you.
-The rated user can go and check the comments other users made about him/her to see how (s)he can change in order not to be banned or constantly hated :P
-As only one vote counts for each user per user, it can't be abused.
-The rating/comment can be changed at any time reflecting the personality or behaviour changes over time.
-As it would be displayed as a number, it's easier to instantly spot if people like the user or not, and how many people think that way.
-The system is usually known by many people because similar ones are used in online auctions sites.
-As there is a comment system, people won't just rate without reason -- and if they do, their comments would be removed. In the standard reputation system, there is no way to know if someone rates because he just hates the other user or with a real reason.

Cons:
-It's not coded
(Open to more suggestions about cons.)

And to explain each system, i guess posting these two posts (plus the objective pro/cons of each one) is enough:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
I see there is a reputation with a little green square. Is a simple case of good reputation or bad reputation? Or are there levels of reputation?
Every user has a "score," a positive or negative number based on the number of votes for/against them. If you have many votes in one "direction," you can have up to ten of the little [Image: repbit_pos.gif] or [Image: repbit_neg.gif] images. There haven't been many votes on the community forums, so you can't see them yet.

quote:
My thoughts are, with so many members, are people going to vote for each other??
I think only elite members and forum staff should be able to vote, so there's no abuse, and the reputations are given by trusted people. When they see a post they like or don't like, they should vote. If you disagree, please say so. :p

[more information should be added about Mybb's system]
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
However... I just came up with an idea (and please read it till the end): making a sort of "comments" feature for each user, so we could leave comments (1 per user, of course) about a certain user, and qualify it as positive/neutral/negative just like in Ebay and those kind of sites. So, basically, the reputation can be a number:

Patchou (34)
Guido (0)
Batchou (-12)

I think that's more fair, plus the text comments are useful to know more about the persons' character and attitude. It's a good extension to the reputations system. Additionally, if someone is constantly flamed and doesn't really understand why, he can read his comments by other users to see how he/she can change his attitude in order not to be banned or just ignored.

So, back to the example, if next week I find out Patchou... erhm... has been logging in as another user and spamming all the forums... I can go to his profile (or click on the link in his reputation number), update my comment to "This guy started being nice, but now he's spamming all the boards" and setting my opinion on him "Negative".

Thus, Patchou's reputation would be 32 (two less), because I had previously voted him positively.

Neutral comments would be just "gentle warnings" to the users that are evidently making mistakes but maybe not in purpose.

Here again, we can make admins/mods/elites/members/newbies' comments count as 1 point, 2 points, 5 points (or whatever), depending on the group. Or just make all groups count as 1 point per comment, to make it more fear
01-12-2004 04:46 AM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
quote:

-As it is based in a fixed image meter, it won't be shown if there is not a high number of votes and it's not representative of the number of users that voted about the user.

could easily be a text representation like in ur idea

quote:
-As everyone can vote on every post, the system can be abused in order to put someone's reputation down if he is hated by another user. The same happens with positive reputation.

not everyone will be able to vote ( i dont think) just elites and up.
01-12-2004 04:50 AM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
What good would that do?The whole community should be able to vote :-\
01-12-2004 05:02 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
That's probably how it will be. I'd like it limited, because even with the "one vote per user" system, abusers could register new accounts and vote for their main accounts. Or course, this could be prevented by limiting voters by registration date, post count, or even reputation. :s

Also, some dodgy users might not be honest about their votes, or make uninformed votes just for fun.

Maybe admins/mods/elites could start off with positive reputations, so they would be allowed to vote, then as they vote for regular users, the ones that get positive reputations would automatically be allowed to vote, and that would just get the ball rolling, you know?

There's so many options we can use here... we're going to need lots of polls... :refuck:
01-12-2004 05:10 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I made an example of the suggested features:

BlahWriter
Posting Freak
[Image: boyandpc.gif]
Rating: 815
Comments: 33

* Titles are still shown, but they refer to the amount of posts like "lurker", "regular poster", "posting freak", not to things like "newbie", "respected", "elite". Although "admin", "mod" is still shown afcourse
* Postcount is also shown (but with the other fields, this will have a meaning now. So, spammers, going for the highest postcount isn't so smart anymore)
* Rating: both the new mybb rating AND the comment-rating is shown

I think we agree on that, no? (as I've seen no objectives about that lately)...
But indeed the questions now are: who? when? why? what? etc...
I posted some points/remarks about this before. To make things easier I think we should vote/discuss 1 point at the time, otherwise it is pure chaos....

To start off: who can vote (for the rating-system)?
* Elite's and up
* Users (limited by registration date {+7days}, postcount {+20} and reputation {must be at least positive}) <= I vote for this (figures are just a suggestion)
* Everybody

(my 2$)

This post was edited on 01-12-2004 at 05:34 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-12-2004 05:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
BlahWriter
Posting Freak
[Image: boyandpc.gif]
Where are the stars? :P I think the stars should still be shown, and based on the reputation/rating.

quote:
Rating: 815
Comments: 33

Rating 815? :o He must have been good. :P

quote:
* Titles are still shown, but they refer to the amount of posts like "lurker", "regular poster", "posting freak", not to things like "newbie", "respected", "elite". Although "admin", "mod" is still shown afcourse
Hmm... I suppose that sounds good.

quote:
* Postcount is also shown (but with the other fields, this will have a meaning now. So, spammers, going for the highest postcount isn't so smart anymore)
(Y) (Y)

quote:
* Rating: both the new mybb rating AND the comment-rating is shown
What exactly do you mean? There's 2 separate ratings?

quote:
To make things easier I think we should vote/discuss 1 point at the time, otherwise it is pure chaos....
Yes, definitely... maybe separate threads even... :-/
01-12-2004 05:30 AM
Pages: (20): « First « 10 11 12 13 [ 14 ] 15 16 17 18 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: