What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website »

Pages: (20): « First « 13 14 15 16 [ 17 ] 18 19 20 » Last »
Author: Message:
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
but wouldnt comments take up alot of the room in the datbase? cause thers like 20000+ members here and even if only like 200 had comments ther could also be a good 150 comments for each user (doubt it) cause the thing i dont want to come out of this rating system is a server load message.
Not at all. It's not a server space message, it's a server LOAD message -- nothing to do :-/

In fact, talking about load, the comments system is no more server-"loader" than mybb's reputation system, as the profile display (next to each post) would be implemented kinda similarly.

And as for server space, for you to have a figure, 500 big comments (the size of this post) would take between 100 and 150kb approx.

quote:
and i like that rate user button image guido. you have way too much time on your hands.
It was easy, and unfortunately, I don't have too much time on my hands, I just use it badly :p
01-13-2004 12:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
* WDZ slaps this thread and wonders when it will end...

Guido, nice-looking examples. :P

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
I still like the posts idea, but bleh. :s If we're gonna vote users, can we make it, say, between +3 and -3? So if a person is generally good we can vote +1, and if they're really exceptionally good in difficult circumstances we can vote +2/+3? Just an idea.
Blah... we already have positive, neutral, and negative... let's not make this too complicated. I'm even wondering if the neutral option should exist at all. If you don't want to change a user's reputation, don't waste your time voting!

quote:
I think we've also decided that comments should be optional...
I guess that would be OK, as long as you're giving a positive or negative vote. Another doubt I'm having about these ideas is, why show the comments to everyone? In the regular MyBB system, the comments can only be viewed by the user they're about. I dunno if that's good or bad... a little of both, I suppose.

quote:
I think it should be open to all. Even those with a bad reputation should have their say.
Afraid you're going to get a bad reputation? :refuck:

I might allow everyone to vote but use the "7 days after registration" limit that was suggested, but that would stop new members from voting for people who help them, and the abuse problem is still there if the abusers are patient. :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
but wouldnt comments take up alot of the room in the datbase? cause thers like 20000+ members here and even if only like 200 had comments ther could also be a good 150 comments for each user (doubt it) cause the thing i dont want to come out of this rating system is a server load message.
Hmm... I really don't think you need to worry about that. :)
01-13-2004 05:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

I guess that would be OK, as long as you're giving a positive or negative vote. Another doubt I'm having about these ideas is, why show the comments to everyone? In the regular MyBB system, the comments can only be viewed by the user they're about. I dunno if that's good or bad... a little of both, I suppose.

everyone should be able to read them :undecided:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I might allow everyone to vote but use the "7 days after registration" limit that was suggested, but that would stop new members from voting for people who help them, and the abuse problem is still there if the abusers are patient.

a "month after registration" would be better :refuck:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
01-13-2004 05:45 AM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono

a "month after registration" would be better

* bach_m agrees. 7 days is relatively short.

i dont think hte comments shoudl be public, since these comments are supposed to be objective, and without a bias which may be induced by the comments of others.........

people will be able to get a decent idea of what people think by the reputation anyways

This post was edited on 01-13-2004 at 06:02 AM by bach_m.
01-13-2004 06:02 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
bach's right...
then we should only be able to see how much positive/negatives ratings does the user have
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
01-13-2004 06:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
maybe 14 days? :D
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-13-2004 07:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
I dont agree with the members comments thing and people being able to view them. Now really, why the hell would I care what people think of member #4 (:grin:)? I have my own mind...
01-13-2004 04:04 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
:O Wow, Johnny just made a very important point that just hit home to me:  why do we care what other people think about members anyway?  We all know what everyone's like from their posts...
01-13-2004 05:11 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
Wow, Johnny just made a very important point that just hit home to me:  why do we care what other people think about members anyway?  We all know what everyone's like from their posts...
Yes, you. Me. Wdz. Patchou. Chrono. Not everyone:

You all seem to be forgetting the main reason to implement the reputations system: we are not in this thread just to bug WDZ or to implement a useless system just to have green or red numbers in our profiles: it's designed for members who don't know other users because they didn't spend as much time as us in the forums, for them to know who they can trust and who they can't. Sure, it's also to have another excuse to reject users who everybody hates, because a -431 reputation would support any claim :P

I don't get it... we have spent about a week discussing this and now you think we just don't need it? :rolleyes:

Also, this system was designed to replace the "elitist" post count, because instead of achieving a certain level by spamming, people would do so by being helpful or nice to the community. To be able to replace them, they must tell something more than a number. Just like post numbers don't work, a reputation number (though can be useful at first sight) says nothing about the person. He might have a high reputation because he is a good graphic designer, programs MyBB, hosts a fan site or simply because it's very helpful to the community. The only way to distinguish all that is by reading the comments.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I still like the posts idea, but bleh. If we're gonna vote users, can we make it, say, between +3 and -3? So if a person is generally good we can vote +1, and if they're really exceptionally good in difficult circumstances we can vote +2/+3? Just an idea.
Blah... we already have positive, neutral, and negative... let's not make this too complicated. I'm even wondering if the neutral option should exist at all. If you don't want to change a user's reputation, don't waste your time voting!
You've got a point :P

quote:
quote:
I think we've also decided that comments should be optional...
I guess that would be OK, as long as you're giving a positive or negative vote.
If you check my last fake screenshot, the Neutral option is disabled when not leaving a comment.
quote:
Another doubt I'm having about these ideas is, why show the comments to everyone? In the regular MyBB system, the comments can only be viewed by the user they're about. I dunno if that's good or bad... a little of both, I suppose.
I didn't even know there were comments in that reputation system :-/

But with that point of view: why should we show reputations at all to other users then? The aim of showing the comments is for new members to know why someone is rated negatively or positively: which not only makes them sure about who to trust, but also ensures they won't behave badly unless they want to get an equally pathethic reputation.
If I'm a new user, and someone has a "-15" rating, that doesn't tell anything to me. Instead, if I read the comments, I might know WHY he has that reputation and consider it as a warning for not following the rules.

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
a "month after registration" would be better
* Guido agrees, that guarantees us that the person knows the forum (and dodgy people would have to be even more patient :P)

quote:
i dont think hte comments shoudl be public, since these comments are supposed to be objective, and without a bias which may be induced by the comments of others.........
Then again, a bias may be induced by the reputation number :rolleyes:. If you will be influenced by others' opinions, you will be influenced no matter how the system is implemented.

And even then, viewing comments would make the system even more objective: let's put that into an example (I like extreme examples :refuck:)

-I HATE patchou (remember, this is an example). I just hate him, I don't know why, but I'm a user of MSNfanatic and hate him (no offence intended :tongue:). But then I check his comments, and realise how he has changed MSN programming, the virtues of Msgplus, the problems, and how he could solve them. Then I might change my opinion and vote positively, or at least not vote at all till I'm sure of what I think.

quote:
people will be able to get a decent idea of what people think by the reputation anyways
Then why the hell are we talking about comments? :rolleyes:

Numbers can't say what people think about a person. + and - mean nothing, there are so many different factors that incide... (blah, I'll shut up :P)

[edit]Cant the "too many images" warning show us how many images we posted?? It's too annoying to be guessing how many to delete =P

This post was edited on 01-13-2004 at 06:08 PM by Guido.
01-13-2004 05:58 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
I don't get it... we have spent about a week discussing this and now you think we just don't need it?
I never expressed my views about it until now... so cause I didnt say anything in the first place I should just go along with it? Great discussion!

And the point of discussing is to share points of view, I did and Lob happened to see a point of view, whats wrong with that? :undecided:

This post was edited on 01-13-2004 at 06:31 PM by Johnny_Mac.
01-13-2004 06:29 PM
Pages: (20): « First « 13 14 15 16 [ 17 ] 18 19 20 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: