What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website »

Pages: (20): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Author: Message:
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
O.P.
Thanks, WannoIsVanNed - corrected. :)

CookieRevised, I didn't actually see it go off-topic for more than about two posts, and even then someone went back on topic... as for locking it... pff, I dunno, it's just not how it really should be, locking threads when they get more than a page of replies. :P I'll be glad when these changes happen.

* billywoods1 notices something about a bomb in fluffy_lobster's first post and decides he doesn't wanna know... :gfdrin:
[Image: title.gif]
Please visit my site, Lamerde, by clicking this broken picture. :mipdodgy: It's intentional. Honestly.

01-05-2004 01:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
My suggestion would be to delete all posts. Radical I know. But if you delete the posts you delete the spam. Patchou can make a list of suggestions and any bugs. All chit chat and off topic stuff with come up again if we leave the thread there or not. And I dont suppose people will use the search feature anyway, so remove the threads or not and the same questions would appear again. I dunno. :P
01-05-2004 01:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
O.P.
Hmm... it's not the subtle sort of change I was expecting, Johnny_Mac! :P
Please visit my site, Lamerde, by clicking this broken picture. :mipdodgy: It's intentional. Honestly.

01-05-2004 01:47 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
Hmm... it's not the subtle sort of change I was expecting, Johnny_Mac! :P
Would provide a clean start though. Surely someone must agree. :P
01-05-2004 01:48 PM
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
O.P.
Yeah, that's true... but then, it does mean resetting post counts, so post count races, maybe? That certainly wouldn't be good. Also, the archives make people realise this isn't a new community... I dunno, there's just something about experienced forums that makes people want to join them. ;) Plus all that information and help we've provided people for ages would be gone...

01-05-2004 01:51 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
I have to say I think i agree

Some forums need posts preserved though... for example the plugins forum, there is information that ppl do actually refer to... I wouldn't like to see my random image script thread go as that's basically the home for it.  Maybe (if this happens at all) people could choose important threads to be preserved at the root level (and only have replied deleted)
01-05-2004 01:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Yeah, that's true... but then, it does mean resetting post counts,
Post counts mean nothing... I would remove them if I were allowed. :P

quote:
Also, the archives make people realise this isn't a new community
People know enough about Plus! to know it's not a 'new' thing.

quote:
there's just something about experienced forums that makes people want to join them.
Technically the only reason people need to post here is for suggestions or support. All other forums are for user benefit, e.g. talking about general stuff.

quote:
Plus all that information and help we've provided people for ages would be gone...
We will end up repeating it again anyway because new members won't bother to search so whatever you said in the past will remain and it will have to be said again.

This post was edited on 01-05-2004 at 01:56 PM by Johnny_Mac.
01-05-2004 01:55 PM
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
O.P.
Maybe we could just have a read-only archives section or something? :undecided: All the sticky/important threads can be kept, all the announcements can be kept, maybe all the plugins/translations, but archive everything else? If this happens, anyway... it probably won't, but if it does, that's my idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Post counts mean nothing... I would remove them if I were allowed.

Not true. Post counts allow people who are new to the forums to see who's more experienced at helping, and who's here often. (Of course, you could just add a new user rank, for those who are here often or help a lot or have been here for ages, but that's just a spin-off of Elite Members and would be pretty annoying to maintain.)

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Technically the only reason people need to post here is for suggestions or support. All other forums are for user benefit, e.g. talking about general stuff.

As I said, people can't talk that much with all the spam any more. :P Anyway, doesn't seclude the fact that people like experienced forums more than newly made forums.

This post was edited on 01-05-2004 at 02:01 PM by billywoods1.

01-05-2004 01:56 PM
kangie

falling...

38 / Female / –
everything does seem to be locked and stuff.... even tho the thread starter still has things to say ¬¬ and does it matter if it goes off topic!? you cant start new threads for every different thing you say, just cos its not totally related.... you'd be accused of spamming :P mmm............

~kangie~

*admires her full member staus*

This post was edited on 01-05-2004 at 02:27 PM by kangie.
[Image: sig.jpg]
01-05-2004 02:24 PM
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I do agree, the forums are currently in a bad state - the worst ever.

Patchou knows about this and is planning to make some changes around here..

But stay tuned.

wj sed that the other day yet he sounded like a dictator. The forums are ppl not using the search functionbut usually a n00b doesn't how 2 use it ne way so we'd hav 2 do sumthin bout that first
01-05-2004 02:30 PM
Pages: (20): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: